Buck Forage Oats

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Buck Forage Oats

Post by BryanOney »

Anyone try these yet. Do they draw deer in the fall as well as advertized.
terry-1

seed

Post by terry-1 »

I just overseed a Purple top turnip plot with the buck oats today.I plowed the field and planted turnips yesterday and came back today with a hand seeder and but 150lbs of the buck oats over top to add so instant drawing power as I was told the turnips would not be eaten until it frost or they mature in about 30-40 days. I thought I would give the buck oats a try as they were 17.50 a bag and plain seed oats were $15 so I went name brand. Yes, I know the buck oats are as high as $25 in some hunting catalogs I guess those places are ripping guys off as the feed store was much cheaper a bag. I have planted plain oats in the past deer seemed to eat them well as the turkeys do to. To be honest I normally plant feed oats they are $10 per 100lbs and they always come up,but they were sold out of them. Do not buy steamed feed oats as they will not grow after being steamed! Overall I always to to plant a varity of wheat,oats, clovers,chicory and what ever else I can find I think it is the farmer in me I just like growing things.In the end for Fall hunting season I find wheat,oats would be my first pick for a fall hunting plot as they grow all winter and stand up to heavy grazing from deer. My clovers stop growing when it gets cold about Nov here. The Clover does come back strong in spring great for turkey season. I know clovers and other plantings over higher protein Vs wheat/oats, but I am not growing deer I am hunting them so fall plantings and actraction are my main concern. Still you could get the best of both worlds and blend the two togather which is what I like to do that way if one slows down growth or does not make that season the other fills in to kept the plot active.I will have to see how the buck oats and turnips do when we get some rain. I have never tried the turnips so thats up in the air , I am sure the buck oats will do fine as the deer hammer the plain oats I have been planting for several years.
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

I planted the oats 2 years ago, and the deer would walk right through them to get to the whitetail clover. :cry: I had no luck at all with the oats. :x I have used the clover for 7years now with alot of luck. :D I like to try different stuff and want to try Bio Logic full draw. :idea: :?:
terry-1

seed

Post by terry-1 »

Gametrail has reminded me of a important fact. What works in one area sucks in another. Thats another reason to plant a few different things blended togather just in case. On my farm the deer walk over the clover in the fall to get the oats?? I think it as alot do with soil types or other plantings in the area and natural forage in the area all combined. plus I have a ton of red and white clovers growing all over my hay fields all year so maybe the wheat is just something different the deer crave here. On the Mossyoak "Full draw" seed blend Gametrail brought up I have two bags I am putting in myself this week.It has masson wheat,clovers,Brassicas all in it. I planted some last fall the deer were all over it. The problem I had is by late Oct the deer had destoryed it on the small plot and it never came back and deer moved on over to my wheat/oats. I think I need a bigger patch to handle the amount of deer grazing it. The full draw was very good while it lasted can't argue that fact for sure.