Arhg! Striving for perfection...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Arhg! Striving for perfection...

Post by DuckHunt »

I've compiled the Black Eagle components and began assembling some fresh 16" Zombie Slayers for the upcoming season. I'm using 2" Blazers, an 80 grain brass insert, a reflective strip, and Lumenocks. The total weight with a 100gr tip is about 378 grains.

To avoid the expense of a handful of Lumenocks and to allow myself to practice at that same weight, I added 1/2" long #10-32 stainless set screws inside the plastic nocks. I can't recall who posted the suggestion, but it is a perfect solution. I noticed my lumenocks all weigh 27.8 grains. The set screw can screw tightly into the nock so no glue is needed. The combo of the 1/2" set screw and plastic nock is 28.5 grains (.7 grains more), but a file and about 30 seconds make them an exact match in weight to the lumenock.

I ended up with a half dozen that weight exactly 277.7 without tips. I opened a new pack of Trophy Ridge 100gr field tips and weighed them. Come on! They range from 97.2 up to 102.8 grains. Now how is a person with OCD supposed to live like this. :lol:

So, I broke open the new packs of G5 Strykers to see what weight I needed to match. The first and second were identically 101.6 grains. The 3rd was 100.7. Here we go again!

In the end I have a half dozen arrows that are within a grain of each other and three that are identical. I hope I'm not the only one here that weighs every component and puts them in a spreadsheet to match the ones that will result in equal weight arrows. Its going to be a long summer. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
SEW

Re: Arhg! Striving for perfection...

Post by SEW »

You're not.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

How else is one supposed to do you do it?
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Your attention to detail will pay off when looking at your tight groups on paper or success in the field. Detailing or match weighing arrow components DOES make a noticeable difference and is worth the extra amount of time the way I see it. A good grain scale and a bit of ingenuity is all that is needed.

I like the idea of adding a 1/2" set screw inside the BE rear insert to match the Lumenok weight overall weight and I have been doing the same since I switched to BE arrows years back.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I like to call it "CDO" and not "OCD", because "CDO" is alphabetical... :D

You are not alone. IMO that's the only way to build arrows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I find its very easy to be ocd with this stuff. Sometimes you just gotta ease up a little.It can go as far as worrying about the temp outside affects your bow n braceheight what pi.....ses me off the most is when a guy at work gets a giant buck using 2 different kinds of walmart arrows n heads with a crossbow he hardly ever shoots. Lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Possum

Post by Possum »

I thought everybody did this when building arrows. I have 19 arrows that weigh 288.4 gr & 5 arrows that weight 288.7 gr. I use .3 grain nylon washers behind the field points on the 288.4 gr arrows to get them to weigh a total of 388.7 grains. My wife says that I need to get professional help and she may be right, so the next time I may call Jerry at South Shore and have him do it for me. All that weighing and matching each component did give me a terrible headache.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I just shoot Diablo stock arrows and Boltcutter broad heads , I have no idea what they weigh. A had a couple shoot 2 inches off consistently and I scrapped them. But that was out of about 20 arrows.
Still can't shoot at the same spot twice without ruining an arrow.
Never knew what all the fuss was about.
I'm good to 40 yards that's all I would dare to shoot a deer at anyway.
Guess I not a fanatic about it, but I love reading all the different configurations you people come up with.
Happy shooting to all of you.
And be safe.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Duck Hunt...I share your affliction. It seems easy to match weights with field points, thread on some BHs and all bets are off! I like the lumenock trick too. When I had some that were 1/10s of a grain off, I'd add rubber dental bands to the inside of the nock, then thread in the set screw. I find weight matching tedious, but satisfying when your 4 practice arrows and 4 hunting arrows are identical to the 1/10th of a grain. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it breeds confidence in your setup.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Big John

Post by Big John »

Nothing wrong with OCD when it comes to arrow making.
If you weren't like that when building them, you would get bored! :D I call it Fun!!! 8)

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

before I begin to make up arrows I clean the inside first . the shafts are full of dust and stuff . then I weigh them . next comes indexing . and also check the run out . seems like a lot to do but I think it is all worth it .
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Wow ... in my longbow days id throw away 7 cedar arras out of a dozen lookin for perfectoin n these were "premium" shafting !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.

Post by newbie »

Yes sir nothing wrong with it. A file and few other tools are in my arrow building kit.
A little time spent weight matching is just part of the fun for me.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!