Ground Blinds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Ground Blinds

Post by Hi5 »

I don't want till deer/elk hunting season opens before getting organized.

I like elk hunting from a tree perch, but my favorite spot has dried up the past couple of years. So, I'm forced to relocate and there aren't any suitable trees handy there.

So, I'm going to get a ground blind. Are there any "must have" features? Brands to be avoided? I expect to use it only during archery season, so features specific to firearms aren't a big concern. There seem to be dozens of models, just made by Ameristep alone.

I know salesmen say it's possible, but can you really shoot through a screen without affecting an arrow's point of impact?

Is the screening tight-meshed enough to keep mosquitos out?

Thanks
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Re: Ground Blinds

Post by Boo »

Get one with magnetic window flaps, if you're going to get one with flaps. Velcro makes too much noise.
The good ones will have thicker, better material at a cost of increased weight.
I tend to buy them on sale and accept the fact that they will only last me 3 or 4 years.
I like pop-ups and do not have an issue packing them back into their bag.
I own a couple of hub types and they are easy to set up and pack away and present a different shape that some like better. They are also better for head room.
If you're only going to own one, spend the money and get a Double Bull.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thanks for the reply.

After I read your post I checked out some of the various Primos blind models. The reviews that were posted (I forget the site), were pretty much evenly split. Some loved the Double Bull, said it was a wonderful product. Close to the same number were angry and bitterly complaining. Those reviews were a couple of years old, as I recall.

Do you recall the specific "Double Bull" model you bought? I think I'd want to stick with what worked well for you. Maybe the angry ones bought a different model, and Primos was cutting corners with a newer,cheaper, version. Or, maybe Primos put out a large batch that were simply bad. Or, maybe the complainers were the type who couldn't tie their own shoelaces.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

You should try to leave it out for week if you can so Bucks get use to it but most times on Publicland that will not work ..I had Bear in mine one day ..
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I picked a blind from asset camo and it's awesome. It was sent back because of a broken zipper. It was repaired and I got it for 100 dollars U.S. And it's fantastic. Sets up in seconds and comes down even faster. Enough room for three and could be used as a tent if need be. As at pattern is outstanding and deer just seem to look right through it. Check and see if they have more deals, just look on their web site. Oh yea, the top is sturdy so it won't collapse due to some snow on it, like some others.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Predator55 wrote:I picked a blind from asset camo and it's awesome. It was sent back because of a broken zipper. It was repaired and I got it for 100 dollars U.S. And it's fantastic. Sets up in seconds and comes down even faster. Enough room for three and could be used as a tent if need be. As at pattern is outstanding and deer just seem to look right through it. Check and see if they have more deals, just look on their web site. Oh yea, the top is sturdy so it won't collapse due to some snow on it, like some others.
Can't find anything online about "Asset Camo"
Could you please provide a link to this blind?
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry, but it was so long ago, I don't remember the model number.
Another blind you should check out is Barronett. I have a Grounder 350.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Have had several ground blinds over the years. Primos and Ameristep mostly. I like the hub style and get the BIGGEST one you can. Set up at the rear of the blind and you just disappear. Being invisable is good! :D
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Asatcamo.com
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Iv'e got the Premos, Predator Den,
it has held up very well in the last 5 yrs.
I am 6' 4" tall and I have all the room I need,
it has a 72" foot print, and the color has held up very well,

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Double Bull for me . I have the old ones and can't wear them out . leave them up for weeks at a time . and they are good forever.
W.M.