Outfitting a new older model Exocet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MDF99

Outfitting a new older model Exocet

Post by MDF99 »

Hello folks, I'm new to the crossbow sport. Yesterday I bought my first crossbow, an older model Exocet that had been hanging in a shop for a long time and was marked way down. I'm pretty sure it's the 165 pound model. It has a simple fiber optic sight on it that appears to be very functional. Which arrows and kinds of points would you all recommend for practice and for deer hunting with this bow? In the manual they recommend a 2117. Are there any must have accessories I should look at for this bow? I can't wait to fire this thing! Thanks!!

Matt
Butt

Outfitting your Exocet

Post by Butt »

Hi Matt, my dad had the same Xbow a couple years back(now upgraded to a new Exocet) it shot very well with a 2117, 4" fletch and 100gr. point. He used a cocking aid and had a Drop Zone scope on it. The fiber optic sights will work don't get me wrong, but the scope gives you that little extra edge. For broadheads we both use and still use Muzzy 100gr. 3 blade. Good luck, good hunt'in 8)
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

MDF99, while you always get great advice from our members don't forget about one of the major benefits of Excalibur's, the ability to communicate with the people who build them :D

1-800-463-1817

[email protected]

leo
JRS

Post by JRS »

That sounds like the same model of Exocet that I started with. I say this because the manual recommends using 2117s, which are pretty much obsolete now. You can shoot anything you like as long as the total arrow/broadhead weight is at least 350 grains.
MDF99

MDF99

Post by MDF99 »

Well, I got the string on it. It's a flemish super string. It took me several tries to get it about 1.5" back on the rail. I was twisting it the wrong direction at some point because the loops came undone. I twisted them back up and just put the tag ends between the cords to hold them. Is that the correct way to secure the ends? It seems to be alright, they are tightly held while the string is under tension. I haven't fired it yet though to see. Thanks for the help as I fumble along the path.

Matt
Digger

Post by Digger »

Do the end of the limbs look like the photo below , If not they are carved limbs and fast flight strings should not be used, as these strings will destroy your bow. If they look like below you can use any string made for Wxcal.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
MDF99

Post by MDF99 »

Digger, no, they don't look like that. I must have carved limbs. I imagine the standard Excalibur string is the right string for carved limbs? Thanks for saving my xbow from an early demise! I appreciate it very much!