Arrow weight decision

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmajik

Arrow weight decision

Post by bowmajik »

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting new bolts for my Micro 335! I'm an archery newbie and can't decide between 18 inch 300 grain zombie slayers or 16 inch 288 zombie slayers.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. They will be heavily used for deer hunting and possibly spring/fall bear
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
Predator55

Re: Arrow weight decision

Post by Predator55 »

12 gr difference, don't think it much matters. What BH are you going to use? Either one will do the job.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Quite right . But length will matter to some.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

16" all the way for the Micro. Keep it inside the stirrup to save your self a lot of potential hang ups...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Predator55 I will be using 1 of 2 BH's: toxic 100 gn., or a mechanical in the 125 gn weight. So length of arrow makes no difference weather I'm hunting deer or bear?
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:16" all the way for the Micro. Keep it inside the stirrup to save your self a lot of potential hang ups...
This is good advice and what I do. I'd recommend 16" zombie slayers, 110gr brass insert, 2" Blazers fletched with helical, Nufletch Igniter nocks and a good 125gr fixed head (RamCat or Slick Trick Magnum). Put you at 425gr give or take and give you pass throughs all day long on deer and bear.

Good Luck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Would the above be a good set up with 92gn brass inserts? Instead of 110gn using 100 or 125 grain BH's
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I don't see it being a big factor for the game your shooting and the distances . I assume your shooting bear over bait,20 yards? and deer in woods 30/40 yards? Regardless of arrow or BH used there only going to be a 12 gr difference. Not familiar with the 355, I'm shooting a grizzly cub and I use a 17.25 in arrow. My total arrow weight will come out to 458.05 with a150gr head (Wensel Woodsman) or 408.05 witha100 gr head (Ramcat) Either one will take deer and bear as yours certainly will too.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

P.S. Going with 2219's
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

bowmajik wrote:Hi all, I'm thinking of getting new bolts for my Micro 335! I'm an archery newbie and can't decide between 18 inch 300 grain zombie slayers or 16 inch 288 zombie slayers.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. They will be heavily used for deer hunting and possibly spring/fall bear
The weight of the Zombie's is 9.1 grains per inch, so the difference is 18.2 grains, all things being equal. I would go 16", in fact i used 15" on mine. I would go with 110 grains of brass in the snout to get the FOC up using 100 grain broadheads. If you plan to use 125 grain heads, or heavier, then 92 grains of brass in the snout would be great also. I like total weight for the Micro to be around 400 grains, or more. That bow likes them short & heavy! JMHO!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

I decided to go with the 16 inch 288 grain zombie slayers! Seemed like the best choice from advice and research. I hope they serve me well this bear/deer season. I'm thinking about using them with 100 grain toxic's or 125 grain magnums :wink:
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

bowmajik wrote:I decided to go with the 16 inch 288 grain zombie slayers! Seemed like the best choice from advice and research. I hope they serve me well this bear/deer season. I'm thinking about using them with 100 grain toxic's or 125 grain magnums :wink:

Good choice for a great bow...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

At the weight & length you have there, it means you have the 110 grain inserts up front, and 100 grain heads should be fine in that setup. I think you'll be very happy with the Zombie Slayers. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bowmajik wrote:I decided to go with the 16 inch 288 grain zombie slayers! Seemed like the best choice from advice and research. I hope they serve me well this bear/deer season. I'm thinking about using them with 100 grain toxic's or 125 grain magnums :wink:
Good choice....and you don't have to lock yourself down to any particular BH just yet. These bows and that arrow setup will shoot many different BHs very accurately. Enjoy that little bow. It has fast become my favorite....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

nchunterkw wrote:
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:16" all the way for the Micro. Keep it inside the stirrup to save your self a lot of potential hang ups...
This is good advice and what I do. I'd recommend 16" zombie slayers, 110gr brass insert, 2" Blazers fletched with helical, Nufletch Igniter nocks and a good 125gr fixed head (RamCat or Slick Trick Magnum). Put you at 425gr give or take and give you pass throughs all day long on deer and bear.

Good Luck!
Exactly how I would build them with the exception of the Helical, I spine index my arrows before building them, and can then use a slight RH offset to get the same results. Mine loved this recipe, but they will fly flatter quieter and be blown of course less in the wind if you use a slight offset instead of the helical, but if you can't buy spine indexed or index the spine yourself, I have found the helical will make these unindexed arrows shoot better, if using spine indexed arrows, I have found no gain and some less than perfect results in some situations.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!