The last couple of days chasing Turkeys .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maine hunter

Re: The last couple of days chasing Turkeys .

Post by maine hunter »

Congratulations!!! Nice!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Paul if you saw where we hunt it can be tight . My shot on this bird would not have been possible with stick and string . :shock:
As for a turkey harness . I normally carry the bird in my vest . But with the blind on my back it made that not possible . Comfort comes at a cost . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Having never eaten a wild turkey :oops: How do they compare to a farm raised domestic bird... I don't think they have any white meat but other than that are there other physical differences ? Also, how close are they in taste to a domestic bird, and do you prepare them the same way, or must you take other routes when cooking a wild bird?

Thank's, I'm curious as 3 varities of turkeys are available in WA state with a bit of driving involved to get the various areas they inhabit... But it's a trip in progress and will happen hopefully sooner than later. On last question, since I have three different species to go after, which varity is the best eating? ( I know we have Rio Grand and Meriman, but not sure what the 3rd is?

Thanks for any info. :wink:
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks Kevin, that makes sense now.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Congratulations. Great hunt. I Really Like turkey hunting and fried turkey breast is very tasty.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Wings and breast are white meat. Thigh and leg and neck are dark.

I make the leg/thigh in slow cooker. Turkey n gravy on hardroll with a slice of muenster. Yum
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Nice thunder chicken!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Domestic turkey came originally from the birds that were slowly over the decades domesticated in Mexico .
History[edit]

Ceramic whistle in the shape of a turkey. Colima shaft tomb culture, 200 B.C. - A.D. 500
The modern domesticated turkey is descended from one of six subspecies of wild turkey: Meleagris gallopavo, found in the area bounded by the present Mexican states of Jalisco, Guerrero, and Veracruz[3] Ancient Mesoamericans domesticated this subspecies, using its meat and eggs as major sources of protein and employing its feathers extensively for decorative purposes. The Aztecs associated the turkey with their trickster god Tezcatlipoca,[4] perhaps because of its perceived humorous behavior.

Domestic turkeys were taken to Europe by the Spanish. Many distinct breeds were developed in Europe (e.g. Spanish Black, Royal Palm). In the early 20th century, many advances were made in the breeding of turkeys, resulting in breeds such as the Beltsville Small White.

Black Spanish turkeys

A young turkey is called a poult.
The 16th-century English navigator William Strickland is generally credited with introducing the turkey into England.[5][6] His family coat of arms — showing a turkey cock as the family crest — is among the earliest known European depictions of a turkey.[5][7] English farmer Thomas Tusser notes the turkey being among farmer's fare at Christmas in 1573.[8] The domestic turkey was sent from England to Jamestown, Virginia in 1608. A document written in 1584 lists supplies to be furnished to future colonies in the New World; "turkies, male and female".[9]

Prior to the late 19th century, turkey was something of a luxury in the UK, with goose or beef a more common Christmas dinner among the working classes.[10] In Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol (1843), Bob Cratchit had a goose before Scrooge bought him a turkey.[11]
We use the back and legs for sandwich meat or in chili/spaghetti after slow cooked because of the guard bones in the legs . The breast we use like you would normal turkey or chicken breast .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Having never eaten a wild turkey :oops: How do they compare to a farm raised domestic bird... I don't think they have any white meat but other than that are there other physical differences ? Also, how close are they in taste to a domestic bird, and do you prepare them the same way, or must you take other routes when cooking a wild bird?

Thank's, I'm curious as 3 varities of turkeys are available in WA state with a bit of driving involved to get the various areas they inhabit... But it's a trip in progress and will happen hopefully sooner than later. On last question, since I have three different species to go after, which varity is the best eating? ( I know we have Rio Grand and Meriman, but not sure what the 3rd is?

Thanks for any info. :wink:
Gene
We just breast the birds here. You wind up with two almost brisket sized slabs of white meat. I fixed some for supper yesterday. I cut it in thin strips, marinated in teriyaki, and stir fried with onions and peppers. Served over rice, this is one of Colton's faves. I started to take a pic as with the red, yellow and orange peppers it was really pretty, but I got to eating and never got around to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

My memory of this hunt will be doing a face plant in the middle of an wide open trail following him back out . Darn little root . :shock: