Exocet Vs Vixen ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brayhaven

Exocet Vs Vixen ??

Post by brayhaven »

Is there any difference between these other than the draw weight of the bow? I see a 25 FPS diffrence in (advertised) speed, but wonder if it's worth the extra expense. In a conventional bow, I wouldn't worry about that difference; all things being equal. These speeds are probably relative anyway as I don't find many 350 gr bolts, nor have I seen anyone actually achieve these speeds across their chronogragh. Are the noise suppressors worth the extra expense? Is there any difference in accuracy? I was also wondering how many of you use a cocking aid when hunting?? These decisions are more difficult when you know little or nothing about xbows. Getting closer though :o)
Thanks.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

The only main difference is the draw length.

Limb strength is the same, the Exocet just has a 2" longer power stroke.

Quality of ALL components is the same. The Vixen is a very nice shooting, accurate crossbow. I own both a Vixen and an Exocet.

With a 385 grain 2213 bolt, both my Vixen and my Exocet shoot the velocities claimed for them.

The cocking aid is excellent for consistant string place ment and ensures utmost accuracy, I would "not leave home without one".

The "noise suppressors", DB's, do quiet things down somewhat, they have no effect at all on accuracy.
10Ring
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I always use the cocking aid as it ensures a perfect cock every time. You wouldn't want to miss a shot because the cock was off centre. As far as accuracy goes I would say there is no difference between the two. The only reason to go with the Exocet is it will do a better job on game larger then deer. It is my understanding that the Vixen gets it's 285 fps with a 325gr arrow where as the Exocet gets it's 310 fps with a 350gr arrow. This being the case you would get better penetration from the Exocet as it would give you more kenetic energy. If deer are the largest game you intend to hunt stick with the Vixen.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I cant think of anything to add other than, WHAT THEY SAID!

I share the same opinion as both of them and just want to back them up.

Claimed speeds are easily achieveable with the correct arrow setup.
-Richard-
Red Label.

Post by Red Label. »

For white tail get a vixen. Smaller but lots of power!

Post by Guest »

Red Label. is not Red Label!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've owned both, and I sure miss the Vixen (I sold it & went to Exocet), but I sure enjoy the Exocet. In other words no right or wrong choice :wink:
Actually, If I were buying an Excalibur for primarily deer hunting I would go with the Exocet. Speed does matter with a whitetail's reactions. But if I were buying an Excalibur for primarily the enjoyment of shooting (with deer hunting as a part of it) I'd go for the Vixen. The Vixen is much easier to shoot all day without fatigue. It's perhaps a little more accurate during extended shooting sessions (simply because the shooter is more refreshed), and it will take deer with no problems, but that extra 25 fps of the Exocet translates into a couple more yards range before a deer has time to move.
I've thought seriously about buying another Vixen just to shoot 3-D, backyard targets, and "stump shooting" (which always includes the possibility of a groundhog, coyote, or come other "varmint" showing up).
Probably the best move for a person starting out would be buy a Vixen, shoot a lot, then buy a second Excalibur for hunting only in the future.
If you can only afford one Excalibur go for the Exocet (a great compromise of ease of shooting and speed) if you feel you can afford more than one (even if they are purchased a year or two apart) start with the Vixen, the add an Exocet, Exomag, or Exomax somewhere down the road.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but dang, all the Excaliburs are great crossbows :lol:
wabi
nerosrevenge

Post by nerosrevenge »

I agree with everyone on both the bow selection and the cocking aid. I owned and exocet and now I shoot a Vixen. I prefer the Vixen for it's weight and compactness (especially in a tree stand!) and so far I've been able to hit anything with it that I could hit with my Exocet.

Steve
bj

Re: Exocet Vs Vixen ??

Post by bj »

brayhaven wrote: These speeds are probably relative anyway as I don't find many 350 gr bolts, nor have I seen anyone actually achieve these speeds across their chronogragh. :o)
Thanks.
just for your info, a gold tip 20 " bolt with aluminum inserts , 100 grain head, weighs between 348 and 353 grains...there are thousands of them out there, speeding to their marks...i have shot more than one exomax throught the chrony this year :wink: , and i can tell you there has not been one bow go through, below the advertised speed, with the recommended bolt...some of these bows have shot shot as high as 362 fps...

- there have been "numerous vixens and exocets" shot through the chrony as well, and again, not one has been below the advertised speed with the minimum weight bolt...actually the vixen with the 325 grain min. weight bolt achieves speeds as high as 297 fps...i know, because i have one :lol: ...

Wayne...
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

And thats a fact the advertised speed mine do :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Re: Exocet Vs Vixen ??

Post by brayhaven »

- there have been "numerous vixens and exocets" shot through the chrony as well, and again, not one has been below the advertised speed with the minimum weight bolt...actually the vixen with the 325 grain min. weight bolt achieves speeds as high as 297 fps...i know, because i have one :lol: ...

Wayne...[/quote]

Interesting. Not that it's all that important to me. I read a couple reports that were 10% (or so) short of advertized speeds. But the compounds were optimistic in their claims as well, from what I could tell. I can't imagine anyone buying a bow on speed alone anyway. :roll:
Greg