ground pounders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

ground pounders

Post by bobcat »

Last year i took my first 2 deer with the crossbow. Both from the ground. I like hunting tree stands but also like the mobility and safety on being firmly planted on the ground.
Those of you to prefer to hunt on the ground what are some of the things you do to stay concealed and comfortable. I have a nice blind but they never seem to work well for me unless they are set up well before hunting season and brushed in.
bob watkins

Re: ground pounders

Post by bob watkins »

gille suite you can go anywhere
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

bob watkins wrote:gille suite you can go anywhere
X2 & any clothin that breaks up yer outline well nsit in front of trees or brush or in middle of brush wid a shootin hole
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i was going to ask about gilli suits. my boy has one he never uses. i might have to try that. im thinking about looking for some kind of light easy portable seat also.
SEW

Post by SEW »

bobcat wrote:i was going to ask about gilli suits. my boy has one he never uses. i might have to try that. im thinking about looking for some kind of light easy portable seat also.
I use both. The seat is a little seat that is about 4-6" off the ground. The front is 2-3" higher than the back. Wind becomes more important. Mid morning thru mid afternoon air rises. Late evening air goes down hills. During the day, hunt down, i.e., be higher: late evening be lower and hunt up.
Make natural ground blinds months in advance. I often just cut out a small space in low lying shrubs, limbs, even tie some limbs in such a way to cause a canopy.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i was at the a bow festival and saw a guy selling one of those things like a camo umbrella that go on the front of a bow in the stabilizer hole. i think they made one or an adapter for crossbow too but i cant find them anyplace now.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have shot a good number from the ground.Have used a ground blind but no shots!I like a comfy chair,i use turkey chair.Most times i get set up by a big tree,no brushing in just in the open with bow on my knee ready to go.Biggest thing to remember is no movement.Closest deer shot was 11 yards and turkey was 7 yds.
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I wear a camo backpack that has a padded drop down seat. Carry a 10' x 3' piece of camo burlap in the back pouch. It let's me quickly set up a blind if needs.

I have some small tent stakes I use to brace the burlap, then sit in front of it. Can setup a V pattern, then st inside the point of the v and I'm covered for 330 degrees.

Its my KISS method to hunting....
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Waif

Post by Waif »

Always consider your background/backdrop from multiple angles of approach and blend with it.
I wrap my wheelchair with 3D diecut fabric and wear different pattern tops and bottoms. Visible top when set up does not match 3D fabric.
Be/blend with your background and be looked past or through.
Shade is good.
Your scent is louder than your profile after you get blended in with your environment.
A facemask/headnet is a gamechanger to eliminate most of our stand out "glow".
Avoid dye/U.V. enhancing fabric cleaners or hard finishes on clothing.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

The ground is cool. Pop up ground blinds are lame. Natural ground blinds are cool. I've NEVER had a deer go by a pop up ground blind without giving it the hairy eyeball.

Keep the wind in your favor, stay still, use what;s around you to conceal/blend in.

Enjoy!
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
RichardLync

ground pounders

Post by RichardLync »

I know most with compound bows like hunting from up high, but I always preferred a ground blind. That said, it can be very difficult to draw back from say 18 yds away from a whitetail at ground level But it can be done as I have done it many times. But now with my crossbow, I will set up about 30 yds off a trail, and given the less amount of motion, I am thinking it will be a bit easier to get a good shot.

What about the rest of you? Do you hunt tree stands or ground blinds?
[url=http://www.medeblog.com/order_anti_bacterial_en-us.html]medeblog.com[/url]
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I use a ground blind , I put 2 up for turkey season in April and leave them there till December.
Never had a problem with deer coming in close to them.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I've been increasingly hunting from the ground ever since my wife took up crossbow hunting a several years ago. She's scared of heights. I've successfully used pop-up blinds and box blinds, but more lately I've been planting my butt on the ground at the bases of trees and dead-falls, turkey hunting style; and its worked well. Full camo of course, including face-mask. As others have said; its what's behind you that is most important.

Sometimes it means spontaneously taking advantage of a handy piece of cover. I really like the flexibility of this approach. Its saved several hunts for me when the wind unexpectedly shifted. This was how I got my biggest buck. (Speaking of wind, there's no forgiveness on the ground, you have to get it right!)

Other times it means using more elaborate blinds, such as these two that I built last weekend. They both look at the same deer trail but from different sides, ready for most wind directions.

Note the each one has 2 trees inside it; one for me, one for my wife. Its not evident in the photos, but the back is twice as high as the front, as high as our heads when sitting.

Another detail that has made sitting for hours immensely more comfortable is the use of a board for back support, like the one shown below that I was using on this morning's turkey hunt. I make them out or scrap lumber or plywood and often leave them in my spots.

I probably do 90% of my deer hunting from the ground now, and if I've prepped the spot I like how easy it is to slip in silently and be settled in instantly with no fuss.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

x2 with 9 pointer i build a lot of natural ground blinds. then there all year deer dont even look at them. watching wind is the key have fun
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Sparkey wrote:I wear a camo backpack that has a padded drop down seat. Carry a 10' x 3' piece of camo burlap in the back pouch. It let's me quickly set up a blind if needs.

I have some small tent stakes I use to brace the burlap, then sit in front of it. Can setup a V pattern, then st inside the point of the v and I'm covered for 330 degrees.

Its my KISS method to hunting....
What are you using for your backpack drop downs seat? Can you post a link or a picture? Good combination units are hard to find.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire