Alluminum vs carbon

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Alluminum vs carbon

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I am currently shooting 2213's, but I was running into problems today.
I was shooting with pretty good consistency, and then I switched to a broad head. Last year at 30 yards my 100 grain field point and 100 grain broadhead would touch. The one arrow that I put the broad head on felt weird as it left the crossbow, and would shoot low right 8 inches. I experimented, as I was bewildered. Put the field point back on that arrow, and shot it had no funny feeling and I got a bullseye , then shot another arrow with broadhead bulls eye. I took the alluminum shaft and rolled it, and didn't notice anything. I took a straight edge next, and low and behold from the tip to the knock there was a gentle curve not noticeable with field points all the normal tests, but It could have cost me a big one this season!!!! :D If I was to switch to carbon and sight in before opening on Oct 15th what would be a good set up for the exomag??? One thing about carbon, it is either broke or not, cant be bent!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I naturally like the Gold tip Laser IIs with Wasp boss 100s mounted up front. I like them because of their weight and the seem to match up well with the rail and provide a sweet sounding shot with lots of speed!

My second choice would be beman thunderbolts with the same broadhead. They have a little more weight but still fly like a 2216. I would pick them as a first choice for moose or bear and for any small game due to their increased durability and reduced cost.

GT lasers with a wasp boss 100 or a slick trick 100 cant be beaten for deer. IMHO
-Richard-
wabi

Post by wabi »

I never saw any real need or had a big desire for carbons...........
Until I tried them :lol:
Now I shoot nothing else! I've lost one, had one robin-hooded (Mark H. is a good shot!), and actualy broke one that deflected and hit a tree sideways. In the same length of time I would probably have gone through twice as many aluminums.
With the compound I went out one evening a month or two ago and destroyed two 2215's in two shots. Went and got a half dozen carbons the next day and still have all 6! I robin-hooded one and had to replace a nock, but other than that they are still like new. I picked up 6 more today. And velocity went from 225 for 2216's to 262 for the PSE carbon force 200's. (shooting a PSE Mohave set at 60# peak & 28 1/2" draw) Now I'm using only one sight pin set at 25 yards. Deer hunting accuracy out to over 30 yards without compensating, and my old cedar flu-flus are dead on at 12 yards for squirrel hunting! :lol:
wabi
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mooser, Excalibur fletches the Goldtip Laser IIs with 5" vanes, and they shoot great.

However, I've heard that the GoldTips that BJ sells are fletched with 4" duravanes, and have a 4% offset. With the shorter vanes, and the way they're fletched, they shoot even better. If you PM BJ, he can tell you more. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Carbons are great and my laser II's with 100 grain Slicktricks are very accurate. They will shoot to exactly where I shoot my field points.

However, when you placed your hunting head on your shaft did you do a spin test? A straight edge isn't a bad idea for the shaft, but it may be that your head isn't aligned properly with the shaft.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Does anyone here use Carbon express arrows? Im off to select a GT and a beman thunderbolt to donate thier lives to science :wink:

Ill let you know how it turnd out!
-Richard-