Single bevel?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Predator55

Single bevel?

Post by Predator55 »

Just wondering if anyone uses a single bevel BH? Thinking about some Strickland helix heads that are 150 gr, with a straight fletch.
bob watkins

Re: Single bevel?

Post by bob watkins »

i have 100 gr helix right bevel with fletching right twist . helical fletching will work much better jmo
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm sure it will work. You'll have too watch the width though as many single blade ones like Zwickey "No Mercy" models are pretty wide... :shock:

Along with that , make sure your bevel matches the rotational direction your shaft is turning in flite as they continue cutting in the same twisting direction your shaft flys while making it's journey to the target. :wink:

You really must look at that, as single bevel heads can be beveled on either side, which effects it's rotation thru the body of an animal. You want the cut direction to be in the same rotational direction the shaft turns in flite.

Personally, I have lots old heads from my days with "Trad" gear" but have never tested to see if they exhibit "Wind Plaining" due to the increased speed of my crossbows ??

I think at one point, and possibly even still now, 3 blade single bevels were available :!: and if they are still being made by VPA ? 8) I would be more than happy to give them a "GO" as I personally feel they make the best heads available for guys shooting "Trad". I never found one that would not take a great "edge" and hold up to abuse beyond all reason.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I've done a ton of trad shooting and hunting with single bevels. I've tested and helped design some as well. Here are my thoughts, I doubt that it is possible to fletch a crossbow arrow with enough helical to impart the desired spin/twist required to get the full benefit from a single bevel head. Also, most single bevels fit in the large to xtra large size range in broad heads. I've found that accuracy of these big heads from a crossbow is best under 25 yards. Beyond that I have found that they lose accuracy due to wind planning effect. I really think that the majority of the crossbow hunters out there shooting modern fast crossbows are not having many issues with lack of penetration. The single bevel excels out of slower moving trad gear when hunting big game - moose on up. The whole premis is for the broadheads to twist open ( cause bone to split and/or crack) heavy bone and allow the arrow to penetrate further. Dr. Ed Ashby did great amounts of testing on single bevels heads if you want a good long read look up his papers. I've met Ed and discussed this at great lengths with him a number of times. Many think that the whole single bevel theory is malarkey but I can tell you that it does indeed work if used properly. Good stuff but I don't think you will achieve good results as noted above. Get a long bow or recurve and have some fun.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Thanks guys! I also had questions about single bevel broadheads, and L.E and hunt it did a masterful job of answering all of them. Good job. :D
Hank
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Great advice guys , thanks. I'm allowed to use a xbow the last few weeks of the season, state law. The rear of the time I shoot longbows and recurves and that's why I got the Strickland, my Maine bh is the wensel woodsman but it's fun to try different heads. Anyone use woodsman for their xbows?