Misc Excalibur Models > How fast are they really ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Misc Excalibur Models > How fast are they really ?

Post by R.J. »

Was just discussing this with our core group the other day .And within our group , we all agree that every Excalibur model we have used since approx 1983 have been fast enough to dispatch any and all game we have hunted . (Small game/Big Game)

Can't actually remember the last time we crono'd a bow ?

Now don't get me wrong > I have messed up my share of shots over the years (unintentional deflection etc) ( I think my eyes are getting worse as well ) ... but can never actually think of a time when I could blame a poor result on FPS .

Actually I've slowed down over the years (in more ways than one)... I enjoy shooting the older model bows (easier to cock ) ... I'm currently shooting an older model Exocet 200 and it is still a "tack driver" .

Here is a link to a thread I posted last year with lots of older model Excalibur Crossbow pictures …

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... on#p548648

And still one of my favorite Turkey harvests , with an older model 1985 Excalibur Relayer .

So enjoy whatever bow you shoot and don’t sweat the FPS .

As a rule “ Close shots = shorter recovery distances “ .

PS : In the thread mentioned above Chris got a beauty buck in the shotgun season when it came out of the corn into an open shooting lane … Chris is also a taxidermist and wanted to remember that buck as he has it etched in his memory when it jumped out of the corn … Here is a cell phone picture he sent me of the finished mount .

Cool !

Anyway ….Just killing time on the Computer after lunch .Heading out now to knock off a couple items from the never ending chores list !

There are approx. 12 days left in our Ontario Turkey Season ….

Good Luck to those that are still chasing turkeys ! Safe Hunt / Have Fun and take lots of pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Carnivorous

Re: Misc Excalibur Models > How fast are they really ?

Post by Carnivorous »

Words of wisdom and that buck mount is amazing...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I think it looks"corney" but in a good way i love the mount thanks for sharing lbj some of the places i hunt you could put a old rusty washing machine or an old car rim on one of my mounts instead of the corn as for the original post ....like they say speed kills air and how many times can a bolt go thru a deer .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I agree 100 percent we killed more deer moose and elk with the old 150 lb crossbows .never felt under gunned and the arrow always blew threw both sides of the ribs when thy are hot were thy should be.
addicted to canadian beaver
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I think we used more efficient broadheads with less than 3" cut broadheads back then also. We used heavier arrows by most back then also. We possibly used a little more discretion on the shots we considered responsible back then. I think on the average, most practiced more back then also.

I never chase speed, the only thing that kills is equipment. Being a long time big bore revolver hunter, and knowing weight and momentum is what makes my handguns more efficient in most cases at close range than high powered centerfire firearms, I have always left that philosophy follow over to my archery hunting. Also a close range sport, requiring getting closer. Far to many take it as something capable of more than that, and it never will be, if done responsibly. 300 fps or 400 fps,,, aint really changing the game!

Like a revolver with a lighter bullet 100 or 150 fps is not got going to make it reliable at any further as a one shot game taker. so as is with arrows, the same bow shooting 40 or 50 fps isn't going to make it more lethal at longer ranges, and most likely quite the opposite,,, especially when those that are chasing speed and going as light as possible to get it,, then talk up a hug cutting broadhead that will absolutely require even more Kinetic Energy and Momentum, to do the same job, and many times gambling that now they can use it to compensate for a slight misjudgement in POI,,,, not all, but we all are capable of what we interpret from many, that use that philosophy!!

Make mine heavy with high FOC, and reliable fixed COC 1" to 1 1/4" cut, and hit em where it counts, and I have always had reliable results, just the way it has always worked for me,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

I have a older Vixen ( carve tip limbs 150lbs ) and getting 263fps out of it :D