Fletching Testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Fletching Testing

Post by SEW »

2 more hours of testing this evening. BD400 & M405 both with 2-8 Duralyt/Optimizers and M380 with XB75.
The arrows: 18" Zombies, AL inserts, plastic flat nocks, FOC broadheads(170g).
SK300 offset, Blazers and SK200s helical.
Results: SK300 tightest groups. Blazers - almost as tight. SK200 not quite as good.
Impact at 60 & 80 yds same for SK300s and Blazers, SK200s about 1/2-1" higher at both ranges. The 3-shot group sizes for the 300s were 1" or less. Note : that with field points, the 3 fletchings were fairly well tied with 170g field points, but with FOCs the 300s and Blazers were significantly better.
The SK300s and Blazers can be shot interchangibly. Impact points are the same. There is so little difference in group size I won't refletch my Blazer fletched arrows. But all future arrows will have SK300s.
Thank you Boo, for constructing the test arrows and coming up with this test.
racking up points

Re: Fletching Testing

Post by racking up points »

Here's the big question I have, and since I haven't had much time for arrow making and shooting...I can't answer it myself, yet - if the Blazers and SK300s are so close in performance, would wind drift be where one shines above the other? And if so, which vane do you find to be most accurate in a crosswind? Thanks for the detailed reports, Steve.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I am almost done my fletch testing and will post my detailed results soon.

So far the SK300's are on top of all the other vanes. Who would have thought the blazers could be beat...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

racking up points wrote: - if the Blazers and SK300s are so close in performance, would wind drift be where one shines above the other? And if so, which vane do you find to be most accurate in a crosswind? .
Shooting in 5-10 mph xwinds , I saw no discernible difference between the Blazers and SK300s. I've virtually stopped testing the SK200s. I'm going to refletch my SK200 arrows with SK300s.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Can they SK300's be applied with the AZ Bolt fletch without hitting the rails?
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

SEW, SK300's Rule! You mentioned that you fletched them offset. I fletched mine at 2* (the standard clamp that came with a bitz. jig) Have you tested with this set-up? Just curious, thanks... I shoot an Exocet 200, with Easton 2219 mags., 145gr. head.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Drew wrote:Can they SK300's be applied with the AZ Bolt fletch without hitting the rails?
3"" vanes don't fit in a Bolt.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

This was pretty much dead on with my test a year ago Steve, I realy dodn't know what I wanted use over the 2" Blazers,, that are stupid simple to fletch, or the SK-300's which once in a while are a little trickier. Then that day it was blowing and I was shooting at 40 yards, I was using the 300's and thought wow I did my scope move? I was shooting pretty descent groups as it was a pretty steady wind around 25 to 30 mph, but wow was it taken to the left like 4" or more. That was when I thought, I don't remember the blazers in the past being this affected, so I broke a set of the same dozen, 6 fletched with each vane and shot a 3 shot group. Sure enough it wasn't any better group, but I found it was still going left but over 1" less, and when your talking 4 or 5" in a hunting situation, that 1" to me was enough to make my decision for me.

I never tried the 200's but I was surprised with your results, saved me some messing around. I also am using close to the same weight arrows and I believe the ones I tested were 19" but only running about 350 fps, when the new bow gets here I may try my test again in the wind, so many variables,,, but your test's seem to confirm mine,,, thanks!! good stuff!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

These are my final thoughts on the SK300s vs the Blazers. The SK200s, incidentally, don't match up even with the virtually field point characteristics of the an FOC broadhead. I only tested the comparative xwind performance with ~10mph winds and found the Blazers to be marginally less affected(tight helical) than the SK300s (offset). Points of impact were identical to 80 yds with both. Groups were slightly better with the SK300s. I have a lot of Blazer equipped Zombies. Will not refletch. Future arrows will get SK300s. If wind is high, I'll take the Blazer fletched arrows. Practicing in the wind is important for the serious hunter as it is for the non-serious hunter, even if the importance is not appreciated.
Summary, I think the SK300 is a better choice, especially as the broadhead size increases beyond the very low profile FOC.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Excellent report. My next fletching order will be for some SK300's.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Steve, I'm quite fascinated by your study. I felt positive the BK200's were not only superior to the Blazers but also more accurate. However, I didn't have time to do a proper side by side comparison. I changed setups slightly. I was shooting
-18" Zombies with decals removed
-1" reflective wrap directly in front of 2" Blazers
-plastic nocks
-92 grain brass inserts
-100 grain points
-fletched with the Bolt
***387 grains***
I changed to:
-18" Zombies with decals removed
-1" reflective wrap directly in front of BK200'S
-plastic nocks
*110 grain brass inserts*
-100 grain points
-fletched with the Bolt
***400 grains***
My second setup is only 13 grains heavier but with substantially more FOC. I found the shots continuously more accurate with fewer, if any, flyers at all ranges. However, I didn't test broadheads and the recipe is different. I'm anxious to get the time to get out and do some testing myself. I'm shocked the BK200's were your least accurate as they're lighter, stiffer and what I would consider a superior vane. I really want to do a side by side. My first recipe gave me just under 2" groups at 100yards and my second recipe gave me 2 1/4" groups at 110yards. Hmmm, you've certainly given me something to consider. Now I just need to get out there. Thanks Steve :wink: .

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.