Vortex XBR mounting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Vortex XBR mounting

Post by ThunderXB »

OK, let's forget about my parallax adjustment stuff question...

How are guys mounting the XBR, Vortex recommends, and has a youtube out, to use a cantilever extended mount because of the 4" of eye relief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxVrVa6P6o

Anyone able to just use "regular" 30MM rings and get enough eye relief or is everyone using a cantilever.

If yes to the cantilever, any particular brand/size/type of rings that seems to work best?
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Species8472

Re: Vortex XBR mounting

Post by Species8472 »

IMO opinion the cantilever Vortex suggests is nonsense. Just a way for them to collect another $100+. I used normal xcal 30mm rings from the Twilight on both of mine and the eye relief is fine and it shoots lights out.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
hard2draw

Post by hard2draw »

With my big old equinox i would not be able to get near the proper eye relief without some offset in the mounts. With the vortex CM-305 mounts all is good
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

30mm Scope rings are all you need, now to fit you and the bow you are going to put it on is up to you to decide what you need, no one else can do that.

Some want low as possible with short rings,,,,,

Some want it higher and for that they make medium and high rings.

Then if you have a long enough rail to get it where you have enough eye relief your good with the right height for you regular rings.

Then if you can't set yer rings with the scope as far away as you need to get enough eye relief, offset rings work well with front ring extending away from you.

But if the scope sets to far away and you can't get your eye close enough for proper eye relief with the scope and rings set as close as possible,,, you will need the extended rings this time with the extension closest to you and coming back towards you as close as possible.

Scope rings are simply made different to the obvious task they are made for, but all are totally interchangeable with any scope that uses a tube the size they are intended for.

Only you can possibly know what fits you!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

You want Weaver Offset 30mm low rings or same thing by Millet. Vortex offset puts scope too high for proper cheek weld.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Well, I clearly would need a cantilever/extended/offset type of ring mount in any event as the scope needs to be farther forward than regular rings will handle.

Finding a lower one seems to be the trick.

The Vortex and others I've found all are around 1.4-1.5" centerline tube height.

On the other hand, I think I finally got my Voodoo cheek riser piece set so it works good with the Zeiss.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ThunderXB wrote:Well, I clearly would need a cantilever/extended/offset type of ring mount in any event as the scope needs to be farther forward than regular rings will handle.

Finding a lower one seems to be the trick.

The Vortex and others I've found all are around 1.4-1.5" centerline tube height.

On the other hand, I think I finally got my Voodoo cheek riser piece set so it works good with the Zeiss.
Check out the Tourbon cheek piece on Amazon. It's got three adjustment pieces giving you four cheek rise options. It straps on and is rock solid. It's made for rifle stocks as it's also a shell holder but works great for getting the perfect cheek weld on the crossbow. I don't post pics but can email you some if you like.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

The Voodoo I have and the Tourbon pieces look pretty similar.

I'll try and post a picture later.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

keep in mind if you plan to put a switchview throw lever on it you will need the higher Vortex rings or it may rub against the rail with even medium rings....
norm
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... lever-sv-1