Big chief electric smoker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Big chief electric smoker

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL I bought this big chief electric smoker at cabellas this weekend man does this thing make great jerkey ....hasle free electric run 2 panfulls of hickory thru n let cook for 6 hours done! Mindless n easy ..ill post pics of the second batch soon. Money well spent .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Re: Big chief electric smoker

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL]
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sweeeeet! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Nice! are you sending out free samples :D :D
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Mmmmm u got me in the mood, will have to pull out my smoker tomorrow.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I was always against electric, then tried one. Priced up a Big Chief at a garage sale, 5 bucks and it came with 4 milk crates of different blends of wood, store bought new bags. I am very happy with the results I am getting from it. I still prefer a real fire, but the flavor difference is minimal.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Smokers are like anything else, you get what you pay for!

I been smoke cooking for years, and have 2 large wood fired smokers one over 20 years old, the other pushing 30. I always was dumb enough to think hardwood was better, and electric can't do it as good,,,, BS! Nothing is farther from the truth. I aint real quick so it took me about 30 years to figure that out, but after all that time with hardwood only fired smokers, yes I can make an honest assessment on the subject!

Some fact fer newbee's,,,,
1) nothing is easier or more consistent, if there was they would not be banned from the big competitions,,, hardwood smokers would never win,,,FACT!

2) Anyone who understands Low and Slow, knows after the first 4 hours wood is a waste, as the meat has already absorbed all the smoke it can.

3) Their is no flavor with electric, so if you season yer own wood and get it yourself locally, the only way to make it not be better is using junk you buy in a store,,, or not knowing what temp to run and how long to run it,,,, simple rule of smoking meat,,, LOW and SLOW,,, and it's DONE when it's DONE!! only a thermometer will determine that!

4) The last thing is even the most experienced hardwood fired smoker has to have his best day to hit everything perfect, with electric it is set it and forget it, while the hardwood guy is constantly monitoring, I can place a 12 or 13 pound brisket on at 8 oclock at night and go to bed, when I get up in the morning it will be at the perfect temp and all I need to know is the internal temp,, an instant read thermometer is in it from the get go, so a glance every hour or so and I know when it's the perfect.

10 years ago I broke down and spent $700.00 on a small Cookshack SM-20 no dampers needed for perfect ventilation, no water pans needed for moisture retention, 4 to 8 oz of wood to perfectly smoke anything from a chicken to a whole pork shoulder! But most of all it is also capable of smoke cooking, with a max temp of 300* I don't have just a smoker, I have a cooker also, and with heavy double wall insulated stainless steel construction, I do that outside in sub zero weather, and still maintain perfect temps no matter what I am doing.

Yep congrats on the new Electric smoker and enjoy!! The more you us4e it the better it gets. The only thing I would recommend is getting rid of any wood that comes from the store in a bag!! Way to expensive and I have found way to low quality fer my use. Get some local apple, cherry, hickory, Red and White Oak,,,, and have at it,,, peach can be good for some delicate meats but goo very light with it. You will have better wood for yer new smoker.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Wildcatter, my drum smoker can keep a 225-250ish temp all day long using charcoal, just like an electric, but I think the reason electrics are not as popular is that many of them are unable to hit higher temps. For example, I like to smoke at 350F when doing chickens, but many electrics cannot reach that temp. Joe, this not to take anything away from your smoker, your jerky looks awesome.

Here are some pics to get you all in the mood :)

Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone