Micro Super Runt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moon

Micro Super Runt

Post by Moon »

Yep, posted this on the wrong forum (trading Post) on the 22nd :roll:

Since my stroke in November I've been looking for ways to make cocking crossbows more manageable while using the rope cocker. In that effort, my black Micro 335 has shrunk (machined) to 30 inches in total length, 7.5 inch power stroke and 195 lb draw at that draw length. I'm using a Danny Miller Flemish string and I removed the string stops. I switched back to the stock trigger which is less sensitive than the TT trigger to prevent premature firing since I'll be shooting it with my right hand which is quite a bit less functional than before.

I killed a buck a few years back with a 15th century pattern Medieval crossbow with a 90 lb draw at 8". It chrono'd 139 fps with a 608 grain arrow. I initially decided to use basically the same weight range arrow but I've since reconsidered that decision and decided to go with a 16 inch 500 grain Easton FMJ arrow that the Super Runt shoots at 214 fps, quite a bit faster than the Medieval's 139 fps. With that in mind, I've also decided to use a modern cut on contact 125 grain 4 blade Razor Trick instead of the 2 blade single bevel Grizzly head. Full helical Blazer Vanes will be used.

I can cock this little bow quite easily even with my bad right hand. I noticed shot noise has not diminished much, less than I had anticipated.

There was no space left on the 2 1/4 inch shorter barrel for the quiver attachment bracket so I had to do surgery on that bracket:-) The riser bolt now goes through the center of the bracket. Works nice and doesn't look bad either. The quiver hood now sits out even with the foot stirrup. I can live with that:-)

I've decided to use this relatively slow bow with an HHA Optimizer and Zeiss Z-Point reflex red dot sight. I also use this combination on my other Micro.

I'm just now beginning to sight the Super Runt in and that, like everything else I do now, is a slower process than before the stroke. Not giving up though:-)

Still can't post photos....something about quotas???? Help!!!:-)
Been there Done that
nchunterkw

Re: Micro Super Runt

Post by nchunterkw »

Moon,
That sounds like a good deer setup to me. I killed a bison last year with my "regular" Micro and a 15 3/8" 500gr arrow. Complete pass through at 30 yds. Your setup is giving you a momentum of 0.47 which is a little shy of Ashby's recommendation, but I think that stiff arrow will make up for some of that.

I made my bison arrow from the GT Nitro Pro Series (also 14 GPI like the FMJ, but 100% carbon). I used the GT brass insert (I think it's only 60gr) but then added a 50 gr weight to it (GT has the screw in weight deal - which is nice for customizing). And got NuFletch to make me some Igniters that would fit that I.D. Great company to work with. Those were the first Igniters they made in that size, and they should be marketing them now.

I liked these arrows much better than my previous bison arrows - which were the FMJs. I found that even though those are Al over carbon, you could still bend them and end up with a bad flying arrow.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><