Waxed dental floss on serving?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: Waxed dental floss on serving?

Post by sproulman »

coolhl wrote:I guess I am not the only crazy one: I didn't do it on the servings but did use it to overlay the loops when they started getting a little loose, but it was on a compound bow with only 100 lb limbs...worked fine....
it did not build up any bulk.
norm

It will save your servings from wear ..no need to wax your serving on rail also as dental floss was waxed...All compound bow owners use it if they shoot a lot in yard then they take it off during deer season ...
janesy

Post by janesy »

I prefer the little sticks that have the floss strung between them. More convenient, as it's usually a last minute thing before the dentist appointment.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Sounds to me like the dental floss over a serving to help cut down on serving wear is a pretty good way of extending serving wear..... but I have never tried it.

However, I have been known to wrap ends of my strings with OD green or brown "Wool" yarn from the bottom of the string loop down the string about 2-3" evenly on both ends to help eliminate string slap as string comes back into contact with the limb as my bows are shot... To me it cuts down noise and does not decrease speed as there is nothing attaching such as string silencers or "Cat Wiskers" out on the more working part of the string.

I do this by doubling a 18 - 24 inch or so piece of yarn, I stick the loop thru the bottom of the string loop at the junction the actual string starts, below the loop, then pull both loose ends thru and pull them tight... I then wrap them tightly down the string in the same direction the string is twisted You may actually do both at the same time and overlap them some.. after getting the amount of coverage I'm looking for... I open the string slightly and push the loose ends thru each seperately and between different strands of the string... (Yes, the string must be off the bow to do this procedure ) you may leave an inch or so thru the string similar to the ends of a flemish string. Caution... do not wrap the entire string loop all the way around...just start at the bottom as buffer between string and limb... the yarn will be "locked in" as the string is re- applied to the bow and tension is exerted on it.

This method, or applying a piece of adhesive backed "mole skin" directly to the limb in the area just below the loop helps take the "slap" noise out somewhat as the bow is shot.
With the extreme tension on the string, both methods are short term remedy's I only use while actually hunting as neither last more than 20 or so shots.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Have any pics by chance, I'm a visual kinda guy.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If your asking for pictures of the yarn wraps on each end of my strings ?

I'm sorry but having to work with a touch screen tablet with no way to down load pictures or cut and paste them to photobucket :roll: I am unable to retrieve or post any up here on the forum. :(

This may all be due to the fact that I'm pretty tech. illiterate and can't afford a "Real Computer" :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Sounds to me like the dental floss over a serving to help cut down on serving wear is a pretty good way of extending serving wear..... but I have never tried it.

However, I have been known to wrap ends of my strings with OD green or brown "Wool" yarn from the bottom of the string loop down the string about 2-3" evenly on both ends to help eliminate string slap as string comes back into contact with the limb as my bows are shot... To me it cuts down noise and does not decrease speed as there is nothing attaching such as string silencers or "Cat Wiskers" out on the more working part of the string.

I do this by doubling a 18 - 24 inch or so piece of yarn, I stick the loop thru the bottom of the string loop at the junction the actual string starts, below the loop, then pull both loose ends thru and pull them tight... I then wrap them tightly down the string in the same direction the string is twisted You may actually do both at the same time and overlap them some.. after getting the amount of coverage I'm looking for... I open the string slightly and push the loose ends thru each seperately and between different strands of the string... (Yes, the string must be off the bow to do this procedure ) you may leave an inch or so thru the string similar to the ends of a flemish string. Caution... do not wrap the entire string loop all the way around...just start at the bottom as buffer between string and limb... the yarn will be "locked in" as the string is re- applied to the bow and tension is exerted on it.

This method, or applying a piece of adhesive backed "mole skin" directly to the limb in the area just below the loop helps take the "slap" noise out somewhat as the bow is shot.
With the extreme tension on the string, both methods are short term remedy's I only use while actually hunting as neither last more than 20 or so shots.

Gene
Great info Gene,I forgot about putting moleskin or rubber between string /limb we did this clear back in 60s with recurve bow ..Today they have thin rubber or moleskin with adhesive on back real easy to put on ..I am doing mine before Buck season in october ..Thanks...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Its kind of funny on this topic i was archery practice last night had great time about 18 showed up do to heat outside we have AC at range inside..We now have 20 hunts inside on the big screen boy those water buffalo coming at you while you shoot is little scary it looks very real with sound added .

you cover your points with rubber caps while shooting..

anyhow got chance to look at bows on racks and almost ALL had unscented WAXED dental floss on servings ..Most do not want to pay to have shop replaced strings and busy during hunting season so they use Floss..

i saw only 2 out of 12 without Floss on servings..Only 1 excalibur and he had Floss on most of bows were strykers/ten points ....
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

L. E. Carroll wrote:If your asking for pictures of the yarn wraps on each end of my strings ?

I'm sorry but having to work with a touch screen tablet with no way to down load pictures or cut and paste them to photobucket :roll: I am unable to retrieve or post any up here on the forum. :(

This may all be due to the fact that I'm pretty tech. illiterate and can't afford a "Real Computer" :lol:

Gene
Photobucket sucks using my iPad , but I recently got the Photobucket App, and it's sooo much easier now. You should try the App on your tablet.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone