Bow Fishing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vertacre

Bow Fishing

Post by vertacre »

I just got home from a nice pleasure/cocktail cruise. When we were pulling into the dock, there was a kid stalking the bank with a bow. I talked to him a little bit and it got me to thinking.... So, does anyone bowfish with a micro? If so, what is your set-up?
Thanks
Steven
Pydpiper

Re: Bow Fishing

Post by Pydpiper »

Here in Canada we can't use crossbows for bowfishing, My personal opinion is that an Excalibur, any of them, would be too much. My current bow is a dedicated bowfishing setup. It is a compound that can be shot at any draw length, no let off. Full draw is like any othe bow in respect to speed, but I rarely draw it to max
I would enjoy being able to use a crossbow, but it would have to be modified to slow it down, a lot
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vertacre

Post by vertacre »

I read state regulations after i posted. Unlimited on non-game fish except sturgeon,paddle fish, and gar. I am only interested in shooting perch or carp. i just don't know how to set-up a crossbow to do it. If a micro is too powerful, I'm fine with that too.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Go to the Muzzy or AMS Bowfishing websites for rigging your crossbow for bowfishing. If you're fishing shallow water the problem will be burying your arrows in the bottom and trying to get it back. I live on the west coast of B.C. Canada and it's legal to use a crossbow to bowfish carp but the problem is now finding any carp as they seem to be disappearing. If I was in your area and had an abundance of carp I'd be looking for a used older bow like a Vixen to rig for bowfishing. Not just for retrieving my arrow but for the option to load it quickly and easily by hand without the use of a cocking aid. I'd set it up and get it all dialed in to shoot about ten inches low at about ten yards so I could aim directly at my targets. That's just my opinion. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you try it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My option on how to set-up a bowfishing crossbow .
Get some of the 100 pound older limbs . ( the long limbs )
Make a bracket that can easily attach to the 2 10-24 quiver holes .
A Zebco 808 or any cheaper simple large reel . Put some heavy poundage line on it .
Simple pin step-up on the older riser . As Paul said sighted in to account for the difference of impact .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The micro is too much power needed . All you need is something in the 100 pound draw wt. class . The only Company that I know of that makes a crossbow fishing rig is Parker it is called the stingray Adjustable draw wt, from 100 to I think 130 Pounds It comes complete with everything you need . It retails for around $499.00 . The Micros or for that matter any excals could be used for Gators . To bowfish and hit your target you aim lower then your target looks water distorts things . I have researched using crossbow for bow fishing and what is the best set ups at this time for me I am by no means and expert at this
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Here in coastal carolina we bow fish for flounder, and let me tell you it is a time. We use a boat at night with under mount lights on a pole skiff, same set for getting in the creeks when we fly fish for reds.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones