Exomax or Exomag??? Looking for your comments!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

willy

Exomax or Exomag??? Looking for your comments!

Post by willy »

I am a new to the sport & am looking for some suggestions! I like the fact the Mag is a proven success, but am always after the newest and best! I will only be using it to hunt deer from a treestand (if this matters). I would really like to hear from those experienced guys who have tried (or own) them both.
Thanks in advance! :)
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Willy,

I think the ExoMax will make the ExoMag obsolete. It is everything the ExoMag is and more. I would be interested in seeing the sales stats after the Max has been out for a while. It's only about $40 more and you pretty well need a cocking aid for either one so I can't see why anyone would buy an Mag over a Max. (Just my humble opinion)

Nick

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Partikle do you have a MAX :?: I myself have the Mag and a Max on it's way. I too am courious as to what the major difference is other then 25lbs in weight of draw and the new camo. If I was buffalow hunting I want the meanest hardest shooting xbow I could handle.

As far as out selling the Mag maybe, but only if they dont start using the same camo on the rest of the Excalibur xbows. 225lb is a little strong weight wise for just white tail hunting. The best all around Excalibur is the Exocet at 165-175lb. Will handle any north American game. Just my .02 cents, well this might be .05 cents worth. Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

both bows are an excellent choice and both bows will do the job on any animal in north america.... (the difference will be how deep into the ground the bolt penetrates after a complete pass through.... the 'Max will go deeper into the ground).... I like both bows and both have advantages.... 'Max.... faster, flatter tragectory, more power.... but if you want to shoot in 3D shoots with your bow.... you can get the 'Mag under the 300fps limit... (I'm not sure what you would have to shoot out the 'Max to be under 300fps.... fence posts maybe... :lol: )....... and some shoots AND hunting areas have a 200LB draw weight limit.... in that case you can't shoot or hunt with the 'Max but the 'Mag qualifies...... just my .02 cents...
Leo in Ga

Re: Exomax or Exomag??? Looking for your comments!

Post by Leo in Ga »

willy wrote: I like the fact the Mag is a proven success, but am always after the newest and best! :)
Based on this part of your statement you might just want to choose the newest :wink: :lol:

The real ''Value" of an Excalibur product, IMO, Is it's prov-en design and the "fantastic" warranty and backing that Bill and Kath give their product, and did I mention the Simplicity :) .

Listen to the advice given on here about the suitability of the whole line of Excal hunting bows to get the job done.

Good luck, IMO it's a "can't lose situation :wink:

leo
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hi GaryL,

Yes I have the MAX and my buddy has the Exocet. You can get the new camo on the MAG now from what I hear. The Exocet is much easier to cock, you can cock it by hand if you want. I need a cocking aid or thick gloves to save my fingers. The big difference between the 2 is mine shoots flatter once you start shooting at 30 or more yards and the advantage of string jump of course. Many guys have said the Exocet is the best all around bow they make and I think I believe it. I just wanted a little more horse power to tease my buddies I guess.

No regrets.
Nick
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks Partikle "Horse Power" kinda says it all :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I own the Mag and have shot the Max. Personally, I find the Max a significantly faster bow for sure and it will likely be the demise of the Mag. The stock design with the deepened forearm and new camo is a definite improvement. However, I have noticed an increase in vibration on the Max, especially if the dissipator pads aren't tightened up enough. Also dry firing the Max has/can have more serious consequences. I have read on the forum (I forget from who) the dissipator bars bending from a dry fire. Other than these two minor factors, it would be my new choice too.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
axis

Exomax.

Post by axis »

After shooting two deer. I found out that every time I pull that trigger,I'm saying good by to that bolt. I look high & low for them. So I make sure it's a good shot before I shoot. That what happens when shooting an ExoMax. But its fast and, right on the money every time. :lol:

Aloha,Axis

Post by Guest »

Woodsman wrote:Also dry firing the Max has/can have more serious consequences.
A good argument against the Max.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I do not own the Max, but have shot it,, it is serious speed for sure,, & very nice camo pattern,, which I am told will be on all of the bows eventually..But..I've also been told, that if you dry fire the Exomax, you could very easily& are more likely to split the limbs :shock: . so be careful :wink:

To much power for shooting 3D for sure, and in my opinon it is overkill for sure.. You can hunt any North American game with the Exocet..
But everyone has there own likes, needs & wants :lol: :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
shifty

Post by shifty »

I tried both bows before I bought mine. I chose the mag for this reason. I tried to cock both with my bare hands the mag I could the max almost ripped my fingers off. My point is this if for some reason you takeyour bow to the bush and you forget your rope cockingdevice your buggerd as far as cocking it and if you do by chance get it all the way back I dought very much that you cocked it straight enough to shoot straight . IF you cant cock your bow straight its useless. hope this helps
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I would go mor the Max just because it is a flatter shooting bow. Other than that any excalibur will pass through a white tail.
-Richard-
kidcoltoutlaw

limb ?

Post by kidcoltoutlaw »

i have the exomag with the 200 lbs limbs . can i just buy exomax limbs or do i have to buy a new bow thanks,keith
GaryL

Re: limb ?

Post by GaryL »

kidcoltoutlaw wrote:i have the exomag with the 200 lbs limbs . can i just buy exomax limbs or do i have to buy a new bow thanks,keith
keith the limbs are the same mag or max the difference is the riser that the limbs attach too. You would have to find a Max riser :!: :twisted:
I reckon that means a NEW BOX = EXOMAX :wink:
Last edited by GaryL on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!