nikon bolt vs hawk?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hank lee

nikon bolt vs hawk?

Post by hank lee »

hey guys. first let me apologize but I don't have an Excalibur but wish I did. I'm looking for a crossbow scope and torn between Nikon bolt and hawk and would like to stay under $200. my bows doing 320fps.

does anyone have experience with the Nikon bolt? I like Nikon and the bdc but I'm getting mixed feelings about it.
xcaliber

Re: nikon bolt vs hawk?

Post by xcaliber »

I know a little bit about the Bolt. 320 lines up pretty well for mine. This is pretty darn accurate on two of my crossbows. Hope that helps! Glass is great, and they handle the abuse of hunting very well! :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... m.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have one on my matrix 330 it probably doin about 315 all the lines are spot on . Under 40 yards you will be fine. Like exie just said its a bargain and very tough i highly recomend it for the price.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I find that the Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, rugged, accurate & reliable. Nikon has one of the best warranties and excellent CS if ever needed.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I have 2.I use one on my 330 matrix and my axiom.great scopesI :mrgreen:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

[quote="Deerstalker"]I find that the Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, rugged, accurate & reliable. Nikon has one of the best warranties and excellent CS if ever needed.

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/ ... G_2591.jpg[/img][/quote]
How is the bolt in low light, meaning the last 5 mins
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Both are clear and great quality wise.... Your bow should as others have said, work well with a Nikon at the speeds your shooting, what they failed to mention is that they are also way lighter than the two Hawke XB30 pro's I'm now using and that is a good thing ! Mine are considerably heavier than even the Leupold Crossbones on my Matrix 355 ( or at least they sure feel heavier ) :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

xcaliber wrote:I know a little bit about the Bolt. 320 lines up pretty well for mine. This is pretty darn accurate on two of my crossbows. Hope that helps! Glass is great, and they handle the abuse of hunting very well! :wink:

Xcaliber,
What program are you running in the picture to get the arrow drop distances?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

warningshot wrote:
Deerstalker wrote:I find that the Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, rugged, accurate & reliable. Nikon has one of the best warranties and excellent CS if ever needed.

I took a doe last season with 30 seconds of legal shooting time left. I could see her much better through the Nikon Bolt than I could with my bare eyes. To me, the Bolt is great in low light. The only downside to the Bolt is that it's fixed power (not a downside if your crossbow / arrow combo shoots in the 300-320 fps range) and it doesn't have an illuminated reticle (which also means simpler, lighter, and no batteries to replace).

~E
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

CT.HNTR wrote:
xcaliber wrote:I know a little bit about the Bolt. 320 lines up pretty well for mine. This is pretty darn accurate on two of my crossbows. Hope that helps! Glass is great, and they handle the abuse of hunting very well! :wink:

Xcaliber,
What program are you running in the picture to get the arrow drop distances?
I have had this on 3 different bows, shooting different speeds with the same arrow weight, and played all sorts of games with the software, it all comes down to the speed of your arrow basically. Go to Nikon BDC, and you'll see a selection menu to choose crossbow scope, and the Bolt is the only one available. You need to know your arrow speed.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

In this case, my speed was 315 FPS with 400 grains.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ekkie wrote:
warningshot wrote:
Deerstalker wrote:I find that the Nikon Bolt Xr is light, short, rugged, accurate & reliable. Nikon has one of the best warranties and excellent CS if ever needed.

I took a doe last season with 30 seconds of legal shooting time left. I could see her much better through the Nikon Bolt than I could with my bare eyes. To me, the Bolt is great in low light. The only downside to the Bolt is that it's fixed power (not a downside if your crossbow / arrow combo shoots in the 300-320 fps range) and it doesn't have an illuminated reticle (which also means simpler, lighter, and no batteries to replace).

~E
Yep, the glass is unbelievable in this short scope in my opinion.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

From my understanding of the two scopes it's a no brainer for me....The Hawke Pro. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm a Zeiss user (2 Duralyts and 2 XB75s) but Hawke just gets better every year. It still needs a higher level of glass and Hawke has plenty of high level glass: it'll eventually find its way into their Xbow line. Still, of the Xbow specific scopes, I believe the combination of the SR Pro's mediocre glass and improved lighted reticle has made it the best low light Xbow specific scope. Daytime once - Zeiss XB75!