DIY Fletching?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buck

DIY Fletching?

Post by Buck »

About a dozen of my 18" BEEs have damaged or missing vains. A couple years ago I dropped 1/2 dozen bolts off at the archery shop for reflecting and wanted to file an Attempted Robbery Report when they told me the price. I could have had a dozen new complete bolts delivered to my door for less.

I have been contemplating doing my own fletching. Here is where your expert advice is needed. Prefer suggestions that won't break the bank but will provide accuracy and durability.

Which brand model Jig?

Which size/brand Fletching?

Offset or Straight?

Which glue is recommended?

Thanks in advance!
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
hankenhunter

Re: DIY Fletching?

Post by hankenhunter »

1. Arizona easy fletch bolt. All three fletches done in one. Approx. $40.00 bucks
2. Bohning 2" blazer vanes. You'll thank me later.
3. Extreme helical
4. Gorrilla glue blue top.
Happy fletchin,
Hank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

hankenhunter wrote:1. Arizona easy fletch bolt. All three fletches done in one. Approx. $40.00 bucks
2. Bohning 2" blazer vanes. You'll thank me later.
3. Extreme helical
4. Gorrilla glue blue top.
Happy fletchin,
Hank
X2, great place to start right there! It won't take long to learn, it's fun, and even the things that you might do wrong teach real quickly. One word of advice, trust the jig pressure and do not think you have to squeeze the cap on! :wink: Slide it home, wait about a minute, and you've got one arrow, repeat. 8)
You can get more specific tips here once you start, and there are many folks here doing this so you will get anything answered.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

x3!
Im also with Dan on the cap pressure. just need to slide it on until you feel resistance.... any farther you will have vanes that dont stick properly.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Prep,prep,prep...

A dirty shaft will cause you issues.. clean it with acetone then clean it again. I found this out the hard way.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I use just a straight fletch, doesn't seem to be a problem. Anyone else use straight fletch? Anything wrong with it?
roly

Post by roly »

Straight fletch is not a problem at all.

A lot of ppl use a short high profile vane like Blazers, the helix helps to stabilize the arrow quicker.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The extreme helical will stabilize the arrow far quicker which becomes a big deal when you use broadheads. Look up Amythntr right here on the forum. He's also from Jersey, or as he calls it, The People's Republic of Jersey! If he's willing to spend a little time showing you the benefits would be huge. The Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt is by far the simplest and best in my opinion.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Predator55 wrote:I use just a straight fletch, doesn't seem to be a problem. Anyone else use straight fletch? Anything wrong with it?
You mean an offset?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

No I mean straight,those are the,only clamps I have for the jig. Forgot the name of it but it's circular and sits on a post and the clamps slide in.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lack of offset or helical can easily cause erratic flight. Without the rotation of the arrow, any inconsistencies will influence the arrow flight. If the bend in the arrow points right, the arrow will go right rather than straight. If your broadhead points right, the arrow will go right. If you have really straight shafts and shooting field points, you probably won't notice anything.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use a Bitz n RH Helical clamp. 2 n 3" vanes
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

So far I haven't notice any problem, but as you mentioned I haven't shot bhs at any great distance. Looks like I need to get a new fletching jig.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Thanks for all the great info. I ordered the vanes, had the blue capped gorilla glue already. As for the EZ fletch, I may have ordered the wrong jig. I ordered the Arizona EZ Fletch mini for Carbon Arrows. Just read the fine print after the order and saw that the mini "will accommodate any arrow 5/16” (.3125) or smaller" . The BEEs are .344 . Will the (.03") make a difference? Will I need to return and reorder the "Bolt" jig? Live and learn .... and I'm always learning.....
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Buck wrote:Thanks for all the great info. I ordered the vanes, had the blue capped gorilla glue already. As for the EZ fletch, I may have ordered the wrong jig. I ordered the Arizona EZ Fletch mini for Carbon Arrows. Just read the fine print after the order and saw that the mini "will accommodate any arrow 5/16” (.3125) or smaller" . The BEEs are .344 . Will the (.03") make a difference? Will I need to return and reorder the "Bolt" jig? Live and learn .... and I'm always learning.....
The E-Z Fletch Mini is for regular arrows and I don't recommend it for crossbow arrows. It's meant for traditional nocks, not crossbow nocks. I'd return it and order the E-Z Fletch Bolt.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.