Carbon VS Aluminum Shaft

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Carbon VS Aluminum Shaft

Post by WNYBILL »

Rank amateur with an Axiom. I can buy twice as many Easton XX75 as Firebolts. Are carbon's twice as good? What do I gain or lose? Accuracy? Durability? Or is it just marketing?

Bill
vixenmaster

Re: Carbon VS Aluminum Shaft

Post by vixenmaster »

Its the craze thats taken over the archery shootin. I still use the alum's n carbons. The alum. will bend if'en not pulled properly. They are very good accuracy wise n hold their own at least to 60 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I use zombies now but i love 2216s and 2219s the master key to acuracy in my opinion is a minimum of 150 grains up front with 175 even better at 14 grains per inch you need that kind of weight up front .guys get away with 100 and 125 grain expandables on the forum but if they honestly tried a heavier head at the longer ranges they would notice way better groups. Excalibur found this out years ago thats why the 150 grain boltcutter was invented. i think the nap 170 grain foc is perfect for a big 2219 shaft.theres nothibg wrong with using an alluminum bolt at all.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

longbow joe wrote:theres nothibg wrong with using an alluminum bolt at all.
+1 on that :mrgreen:

all we use is aluminum. i learned from the big boys 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
acreek

Post by acreek »

I think the biggest benefit to using a carbon hunting arrow/bolt is how silent the quivered shafts are when they hit something. Aluminum shafts ring out when something hits them on the side. Carbon shafts sound deadened.

Otherwise, if you go by out of the box specs alone, dollar for dollar, aluminum generally gives you a straighter more consistent shaft than carbon.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Just got don't sighting in my cub with both carbon and 2219's. Did the actual sighting in with the fire lots the cub came with, then shot the 2219's and they hit a tad lower but not enough to to worry about. The reason I like the aluminium is they are cheaper and I have plenty of them, but most importantly I don't worry about splintering like carbon can.