Anyone have a game scale?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ontario Bow Hunter

Anyone have a game scale?

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I had one from Cabela's but it was a piece of junk! Anyone know where to purchase a good one?

Post by Guest »

Just about everyone has a scale!! You just have to know someone who welds. If you have a bathroom scale and a buddy who welds your in busness. Take some 3/4" or 1" steel tube and cut 6 lengths about 14 or 15 inches in length. Weld three together to form a triangle, then do the same with the other 3 pcs. Now grind one edge flat on 6 heavy washers and weld them to the three poitns of your triangles. You can use chain but I used heavy duty clothes line and crimps. With the chain cut 3 lengths for each triangle and weld to the washers. Now turn the frames so the washers are facing away from each other and overlap them. The bottom frame will hang from a hook or rope over a beam etc. The top frame will be attached by rope to the deer. Now sneak your wife's bathroom scale out to the garage and "sandwhich" the scale between the two frames. The weight of the deer will pull down on the top frame which will activate the scale. Make sure the scale is upside down so you can read the weight. Oh ya ..... wipe off the blood if any gets on the scale, that doesn't go over too well LOL.

Post by Guest »

Sorry ... mislead you, when you place the frames together, you will want the washers on the bottom frame to face the ceiling or beam your hanging from, the to should have the washers facing toward your deer.

Sorry 'bout that!
Ontario Bow Hunter

Putting this post back to the top to see if anyone new has an answer,... I appreciate the info "Guest", but that sounds a little too complicated to do and carry around.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I don't know your loacation O.B.H but there are a couple of places i know that have them.Quinte sports in Belliville has them as of last week for around $80.Gun Mart in Brockville has them on sale in the newspaper for $50.I'm going to Montreal early tues. and on the way back i"m going to pick one up.Been wanting a scale for years.I hope this helps a bit.Maybe Lebaron has them too.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

$18 USD for a 330-lb. Game Scale at the sportsmans guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=114981

Nick
Ontario Bow Hunter

Thanks Skeeter, I'm going to look into it. I'm located just outside of Ottawa in Arnprior, so I hope these places can deliver.

Thanks also Partikle, that looks like a decent scale.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Partikle, what are Sportman's Guide deliever times,... 1 week, 2 weeks?
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

O.B.H. I stopped in at Gun Mart today on the way back from Montreal and pick up a scale for $48.95.Got it home and was screwed right out of the box.It's an hour back to the store so i tore it apart to see what was wrong.There was a tiny screw loose inside and a striped hole.Likely a factory mistake.It's made in China if that answers your question.Played with it and finnally fixed the problem.Seems to work now.This thing looks pretty cheaply made to me.Looks similar to the one in the picture but rated for 440lbsx2lbs.The maker is Moultrie Feeders.Just some info for ya.
kendo kid

Scale

Post by kendo kid »

OBH,
I get some darn good stuff from S.I.R. in Winnipeg. I just checked the catalogue for you and did not see any thing listed. But I tell you what, that store has more stuff than they list in their catalogue. Give them a toll free call at 1 800 265 6245. I can't hurt.

Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Here's an interesting site I found:

http://www.scalesgalore.com/pfishgame.htm
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Goods stuff - thanks everyone!

Only two weeks before opening day and I need a scale to weigh the big buck I play on shooting! :D