Salmon Round two

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Salmon Round two

Post by RichardS »

I got some amazing fishing advice from SILVER on trout fishing in the spring so I am looking for a little advice on Salmon fishing now.

I am going tommorow to just basicly wet my line and wondered if anyone had anyy suggestions on where to go or any general tips? Im thinking of going to the Ganny or maybe Wilmot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Richard-
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Sorry Richards no salmon down hear these ways, cant help you about them.....but I hauled in 74 crappie last friday :shock: ....what a fish fry Im tellin ya...fried potatoes with onions kinda burnt in to em cornbread good tall glass of ice tea. Its a blessin from above Im tellin ya...good luck to ya...

FYI... my dad always said if the fish are in the water we gottem cornered! :lol:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

We were out last wednesday in the Oshawa harbour and they were hitting like crazy, it must have been the storm coming through. We put 10 in the boat between 4 of us and we lost a lot more than that.

We were just using med to heavy action spining rod and repelas for lures. Orange and green worked the best
shoot straight stay late.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Richard, are you fishing in the river or at the mouth of the river? If you're fishing in the river the only thing you have to do is have your hook within a foot of bottom. Any bait will work; sponge, fly, roe, have some split shot a little ways up the line, and let the river drift your bait down through the pool/run.Don't bother using expensive terminal tackle ie. lures. You don't need them and with the number of snagged fish and line breaking fights you'll be throwing your money away.

I always felt that the salmon never "hit" what was being offered. It was more like the bait just got hooked in the corner of the mouth as it drifted past them. It is still fun to catch them, the fights can last a long time and often require you to chase the salmon up and down the river bank so they don't strip all your line. There is also the possibilty of hooking into browns as the season progresses.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I will be fishing in the river. I dont have waders like my friend but I will just tough it out. Im think about trying Oshawa crrek tommorow. If theres no action Ill head to The Ganny.

Thanks for the advice guys!
-Richard-
raspberry patch

Post by raspberry patch »

Chris4570 is on the money ... drift as close to the bottom as you can. It aint a take, it is a pause in which you set the hook.

Other techniques are expensive or just illegal.