Matrix 330 15.5" Quill-stuck in target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

Re: Matrix 330 15.5" Quill-stuck in target

Post by bobcattrapper »

is your target for crossbows? I use the yellowjacket crossbow rated bag targets.Big one and discharge.Only time it goes in to the fletching if that same hole area keeps getting hit.Mine are only the 18" diablo but still stick out enough.I just replaced my discharge target as its been shot too many times and the bolts go thru some now.
Normous

Post by Normous »

A Danny Miller arrow puller will get is out.
740-483-2312
This custom puller is VERY popular here.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....X2 on the Danny Miller arra puller...I have one for each bow and won't leave home without it....Just curious...how close to the target were you for said arra to go in to the vanes? If closer than 20yds that could be part of the problem...but this seems odd if it is a CB target...

....also, absolutely NO NEED for a discharge target as these CB's can be easily decocked without discharging an arra...see separate recent post for a YouTube video on this!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

If you have aluminum nock and can see it - screw a field point into it and grab the field point with vice grips, twist it if you can and pull. Also, take the logo off the shaft with acetone as it melts on entry and dries before you get to target welding shaft somewhat. Broadheads and bag targets are a no go as you've found out. Get yourself a Rienhart foam target for broadheads it will stop em all, it stops the 700gr arrows out of my 400BD.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

What brand of target is it? I had the exact same problem with the reinheart woodland target. After much frustration and back and forth talks with reinheart it was discovered the target was defective as the foam wasn't up to code. Since then over bought a block crossbow target and can remove arrows without a puller basically with 2 fingers. Try adding a bit of string wax to the 1st 1/3-2/3 of your bolts.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

I was also told by basspro shop camel's reinheart and a few people on this forum 10 yards is too close of a shooting distance which may cause some issues of arrow removal..I'm in no way and expert but I hope my input helps.

Regards,
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

dctaz wrote:I'm not sure what brand target it is. It was a going out of business sale and they sold fast. I actually have 2 but don't really want to try the second one. I can't seem to upload a small picture on this site. I realize that the 10 yards may be an issue, but the second shot was from 30. Not sure if the smaller bolts have anything to do with things, I ended up siting it in with my bag od rags and can shoot at 10 yards with that and only about 1/2 the bolt penetrates.

....email me the picture and I will post...you need photobucket to upload...once you get the hang...easy peasy!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

The target may just be of inferior quality (no disrespect intended). Like I stated before I had the exact same issue with a reinheart that had defective foam the arrows were either hopelessly stuck or the shafts broke upon removal. I'm no expert but I'd suggest getting a new foam target if you can (I highly reccomended the block crossbow model or reinheart 16-1) also get some arrow lube or run some soap or string wax on the shafts of your arrows to see if that helps them to not "weld" to the foam of your target. Or use acetone and remove the label off the shafts.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

dctaz wrote:Okay emailed the picture of the target.

....I got the picture Dave but you need to save it as a JPEG attachement so I can drag into Photobucket.

....I can see it is a layered foam...my thought is that it was never banded tight enough...hence the shoot through...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

dctaz wrote:MMM the file I sent was a jpg. I tried to add a photbucket but got the error, You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url].

Here is a URL

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Dave_Co ... r.jpg.html

here it is Dave....If I had to guess...those layers are not compressed enough hence they do not stop your arra's.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

dctaz wrote:I guess I could try tightening it down with a ratchet strap. Kind of leery now. One other though, aren't you supposed to start at 10 yards to sight in?

Kind of off topic but why didn't my photo bucket image work?

When you open up your image in PB...you will see on the right site "share your image"...there are 4 different types of sharing and code. Go to the last one "IMG" and copy it.

Come into the forum and "paste it!"....then you only keep the line that begins with IMG and ends with IMG and you are good to go! :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

dctaz wrote:Thanks.

....there you go...yet another happy customer! :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Some foam or layered, or even bag targets for that matter, aren't up to the task of stopping crossbow arrows. As far as arrow removal goes, do yourself a favour and just buy the Danny Miller plier pullers. All the talk will be for naught and your only regret will be not having bought it sooner. GMac405 had an arrow stuck in his target for two weeks thanks to his M405. He was also amazed how easily he pulled out his stuck arrow with the plier pullers. :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Take some 1" wood material and cut it to the width of the box. Use two ratchet straps around the target pulling the wood tight on the top and bottom. This will compress the target without crunching the corners. Gives you much more dense target. Also remove the graphics from your arrows with acetone before shooting them. Not sure if that was mentioned already.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Reminds me when I went to chronograph my Micro 335 at the local archery shop. I shot through the chronny ok. Then my arrow hit his compound target and my arrow buried all the way in to the target. All he said was "darn crossbows these days are too fast" arrow was scrap by the time we pulled and prayed it out... lol

On the bright side I was really happy with the speed rating..:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.