Cover Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Butt

Cover Scents

Post by Butt »

Hey guys,well its getting closer, getting my gear gathered up scents, calls etc. Just wandering what everybody uses for a cover scent . I've had great success with Essence of Fall made by Wildlife Research.

Good Huntin Butt
stump

scents

Post by stump »

I use an autum scent on my clothes and fox urine on my boots. I also hunt on farm land and will often step in a meadow muffin or two on my way to the stand. (sometimes intentionally) I wipe it off about 10 yards from my stand.
GaryL

Re: Cover Scents

Post by GaryL »

Butt wrote:Hey guys,well its getting closer, getting my gear gathered up scents, calls etc. Just wandering what everybody uses for a cover scent . I've had great success with Essence of Fall made by Wildlife Research.

Good Huntin Butt
I know this is gonna sound off track to most of you Great Hunters of the Wild :wink: But I use NO cover scent at all. Later in the season this might be a very good thing, but early in the season I find the unusual odor too the deer of a HUMAN is no distraction to the deer, and most likely will draw from curiosity. Your views on this subject will be most welcome.
I am Image of this matter and maybe I should start using cover scent at the beginning of the season also.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I'm with Gary on this one. I never use cover scent. I don't believe in them. I personally think it's just a gimmick. If they're downwind of you nothing will cover your scent. I hunt in tree stands and I think that is a big advantage for scent. Just my opinion.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I take a shower with no scent soap before each hunt,wash my hunting clothes in no scent detergent,then put them in a sealed container till i get out of my truck.Then spray every thing down with a scent neutralizer.I think this calms down my human scent to a degree but not completly.That would be impossible in my opinion.I don't use cover scents because if they smell that they will smell you.It's like tying a air freshner to a skunks butt.He may smell a little sweeter but he's still smells like a skunk.During the rut though i do use a doe in heat scent with a drag rag then hang it on a limb just for the heck of it.You never know with bucks.May be there is a better way.Lets get more opinions. :D
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like stump like to step in some of those fresh cow patties, However make sure you walk past your stand aways and then double back...I forgot to do that once in a hurry and when the deer came by the tree she looked up at me...Im sure she was wonderin how that cow got up in the tree :lol: I use the little bluegreen cedar berrys also I will pull a bunch off the tree put them on the concrete smash them with my foot and then roll in it..keep in mind I only do this if im huntin around some cedars...but as a rule for me I dont like to use scent stuff its a waste in my humble opinoin....I rather pick my tree position based on which way the wind is blowin always keepin the wind in my face..or a crosswind...and I always try to get at least 20 ft up not that you cant get a shot lower it just seems Im alot more sucessful the higher I go...yes i do like doe pee for the rut... I havent used all buck lures but let me tell ya I know for a fact the indian buck lure is good...I had a buck once who was walkin right behind a doe and checkin her to see if she was ready and he stopped in his tracks spun around left her and came straight to my rag hangin..bad move on his part..thump and he was done..good luck to all
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!