Mast crop

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newbi

Mast crop

Post by Newbi »

For the past two years our crop of acorns was very heavy. This year we had a much cooler and wetter summer than we've had in years and the mast crop is small. This area of the county has many varieties of Oak trees, but they are all low in acorn production. Is this the case where you live?
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey sometimes thats a good thang.Why? less places to go for dinner..If you do find a place they frequent here is a trick ive used that has helped me in the past...put a bunch of small marble size rocks in your pocket get up in that oak that they have been checkin for acorns....this works best on a windy day or there after...see they aint stupid if a storm comes thru or its been windy you can bet they will check there favorite tree for fresh acorns on the ground afterwards..well anyway when your up in the tree every now and then throw a few to the ground( I do spray my rocks with scent eliminater first) if they are within an ear shot which for them could be aways,,, they hear it and think some acorns are fresh on the ground...heck ive watched them follow squirrels and bluejays that knock acorns out of the tree they come right behind them and sniff em out.....thats how i got my idea....its worked for me...sometimes it dont....and if all fails atleast you have somethin to throw at the little ones that come by..thats a hoot :lol:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hey Hoss !! You don't want to accidentally drop your tag, when they see that, they'll never come in.

Grey Owl
Doug the Slug

Post by Doug the Slug »

There's a bumper crop of acorns up here this year.
Regards,
Doug
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Not many acorns here this year.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

[quote="Hoss"]Hey sometimes thats a good thang.Why? less places to go for dinner]

Hoss is right on this. I've found the deer move a lot more in years when the acorns are scarce. This year we have a fairly light crop and most of those were blown off in the hurricane(s). No idea what I'll find when I start scouting next week.
Greg