Spine on Quills

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tennessee Rebel

Spine on Quills

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

Just put Lumenoks on 3 of my Quills. Before, they were all spot on to 30 yards. After installing the Lumenoks, 2 of them were 3 to 4 inches off at 30 yards. I marked one vane on each arrow then rotated which vane went in the rail. Problem solved . They are all going into about an inch at 30 yards again. Will the extra weight of the Lumenok affect the Quills that much?
xcaliber

Re: Spine on Quills

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, you changed the FOC some, and it will affect POI. i found some crazy results last summer with the Matrix Girls. I used the same arrows on a 355 & 330, and had them both dialed in to 50 yards. I put broadheads on, and shot at 30 yards into the 18-1 Rinehart, and the 355 hit 3" lower with those heads. I was amazed at the difference with such a minimum change. Point here is to verify what your final setup produces before hunting with it. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

On the stock quills you need a 150 grain broadhead to have the proper foc .Im thinking you threw the foc off . What grain head are you shooting
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

Shooting the 150 gr field points. I'm putting 150 gr Slick Tricks on in a day or two. Our season in Tennessee starts this Saturday but it is just crazy hot. 89 degrees forcasted high for Saturday. I'll likely wait for a cool down.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I was afraid you were using a light head . The 150 should be good .just for the heck of it see if you can try or borrow a 175 grain head i bet it cures the problem.you could always try putting a in 80 grain inserts there cheap. . I had a similar problem a year or 2 back .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Tennessee Rebel wrote:Just put Lumenoks on 3 of my Quills. Before, they were all spot on to 30 yards. After installing the Lumenoks, 2 of them were 3 to 4 inches off at 30 yards. I marked one vane on each arrow then rotated which vane went in the rail. Problem solved . They are all going into about an inch at 30 yards again. Will the extra weight of the Lumenok affect the Quills that much?
after i put in lumenocks in my quills just to try them i had to rotate my vanes again .after that they shot fine ....on my zombies i glued in a 20 gr set screw as some said to match the weight of lumenocks...i use 100 gr points with 110 gr brass inserts ...