Tree stands---how high?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Tree stands---how high?

Post by TAC »

I decided today that I'd get a tree stand instead of lurking somewhere on the ground waiting for a bear (and in a few weeks, deer).

I bought a Gorilla King Kong and it was quite easy to attach to a tree. A test 1ft from the ground proved to me that it was quite sturdy.

My problem is that I'm not all that fond of heights. ;)

I had a fall in my early twenties (on a construction site) and since then I've been a little leery of heights. No, I'm actually more leery of fallling!

The highest I could physically mount my stand was about 7.5' from the foot rests. Getting up into the stand, it seems a lot higher! I guess since my head is another 3' or so above the seat makes a big difference. ;)

How high is an acceptable height for a tree stand?

With the tree stand up and my bear and deer licences purchased yesterday, I'm ready for my first hunting season!

Thanks for any advice.

Todd
johnbuck9

How Hi

Post by johnbuck9 »

Hi Tac,

That depends on a few factors, early in the season when you have more foliage on the trees sometimes 15' is too high, but usually 15' is good later in the year I would say 20' is better,or 25 even better yet, but safety first, if you are not comfy at these heights stick too the level you are, and slowly work your way higher as you get more comfortable with yourself, and build confidence in your stand and yourself,
yes falling is not a fun thing I had one, but I also had a safety belt on, which saved my butt, never ever hunt from a stand without a safety harness, Goodluck too ,and have a great season. :D

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Todd If you want to be totaly safe and secure get a climber..I dont mind fallin its that sudden stop that gets to me...so I got me a lonewolf sit and climb...even if the wind gets a whippin around your ok...for the record I have no stock in the lonewolf company..I just no a good thang when i see it..The sit and climb has a bar you can rotate in front of you say to put your elbow on to steady your shot..when the wind blows heavy or if i go up and down thats what keeps you safe...good luck bear huntin and stay safe... :wink: Johnbuck is right safty harness also...

as far as how high..the higher you are the more you can get away with!
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

As johnbuck said the height varies according to terrain, cover and understory.

I am a little confused on your statement "The highest I could physically mount my stand was about 7.5' from the foot rests."

For bears 15 foot up is plenty..

Deer - I'd go 20 foot unless that height gets you up into the understory and cuts visability and shooting opportunity.

I've started using climbing sticks and have found them to be a lot safer climbing than the screw in steps. Just set your stand so that the last steps on the stick are 3 to 4 foot ABOVE the stand. That way you can merely just step INTO the stand and not try to step UP into the stand.

By all means wear a FULL BODY safety harness climbing and descending as well as while in the stand.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TAC

Post by TAC »

Thanks guys. Most of the trees that surround my clearing are either spruce or pine so I don't have to worry too much about foliage thinning out over the course of the next month. I've mounted the stand in a large birch tree and have a good 180° view.

I actually find it's harder coming _down_ as opposed to going up. It's tougher to ensure my feet are secure as I climb off of the stand.

The stand came with a harness and within the next hour I'll be sitting on my stand, harness et al, waiting for a bear to come mosying along. :)

Todd
nerosrevenge

Post by nerosrevenge »

The one thing to remember about the height of your treestand is the fact that crossbows have a maximum effective range. The higher up we go the closer the target nees to be to maintain that range. If we say the safest range is 30 yards or less and we set up at 9 feet then the maximum distance we can safely hit a target from is 89' (29.6 yards) from the base of our tree. if we go up to 20 feet (which is much higher) our range drops to 87 feet (29 yards). So it would seem that there is little to lose by staying down at around 9 feet (which is more or less where I set my stands up). As Woody, Hoss and Johnbuck have stated (and I agree), the terrain seems to be the greatest deciding factor. If you have a good back drop (which will minimize your sillouette) then staying lower is fine, and it's also more comfortable. The other thing to remember is the shooting angle. The more acute the angle (meaning the straighter down you shoot) the lesser the effects of gravity. This means that you arrow will drop less over the same distance that if you were shooting from the gound. It is always a good idea (if you have the luxury) to set up a target and practice shooting from your stand. This will give a good idead of how much less you arrow will drop.

I just went through this excercise this past week. With my stand at 9 - 10 feet my arrow was an average of 2 - 3 inches high from 10 - 30 yards. I use a dropzone scope so I backed it off 1 click (which is an inch at 30 yards) and that seemed to do it.

I hope that helps.

Steve.
Bert

TREESTAND SAFETY

Post by Bert »

Hi Tac: I use a full body harness and fasten it to a self retracting 8' lanyard mechanism. Its like a car safety belt. It has an eight foot tether on it. When I first start climbing my tree, I use the linemans portion of the harness for safety. When I reach the lanyard, I clip it to my harness and unhook the linemans belt. That way , I am always safety secured.

Bert,
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I don't blame you for not wanting to go up to high. I find the ladder stands make me feel more comfortable. By the time you get into late Nov. it can be difficult getting into the stand. Your wearing heavy boots and there is snow and ice to contend with. I wouldn't go higher then 15'.
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

HI!! Like the rest i hunt 20 to 25ft. up, i have more luck with the wind that way[them not smelling me] have you thought about a latter stand. :idea: tree-tec has one that one man can put up and you can go 24ft up with it. but again you have to enjoy your hunt so only you know how high. :shock: But once again always use a safety harness. :!: :!: :!:
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Steve is correct about practising your shooting from heights before hunting.

The higher the better may apply as far as avoiding game detecting you is concerned. However, keep in mind that the higher you go, the steeper the angle your arrow will strike the target. This makes it harder to make a double lung shot because the arrow on the near side of the animal will hit high and on the off side hit low.

When you are judging distance to the target, however, measure from the base of the tree to the target. (Actually, from the very same elevation as the target, to be exact.)

If you take measurements with a lazer rangefinder, for example, from your elevated stand to the target, it will give you a reading that is not appropriate. It will be accurate, but it will not be appropriate. The force of gravity applies on the arrow on the distance it flies over the horizontal plane. That's why you shoot high if you judge distance from the stand to the target. Same with shooting a rifle uphill or downhill.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
johnbuck9

how high

Post by johnbuck9 »

Hey Fellas,

Try This, for those of you who hit high on shots from the tree stand and you are sure of the distance,and you can stand in your tree stand, try bending at the waist, and then aim and take your shot , see if you still shoot high, or as high as you were, this use too work for me,

I do not use tree stands anymore, do too health issues,

The steeper the shot the more you need too bend at the waist, just make sure you have room for the oldbow limbs, hope this helps. :D
TAC

Post by TAC »

Sorry...I missed this question earlier.

By that I mean that's as high as I could lift the treestand while standing on a ladder. 7.5' is the height from the ground that the part that supports the feet is at. My seat would be at about 8.5'.
Woody Williams wrote:.

I am a little confused on your statement "The highest I could physically mount my stand was about 7.5' from the foot rests."
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

TAC wrote:Sorry...I missed this question earlier.

By that I mean that's as high as I could lift the treestand while standing on a ladder. 7.5' is the height from the ground that the part that supports the feet is at. My seat would be at about 8.5'.
Woody Williams wrote:.

Wow, that is real low..

I would think you would be better served by a ground blind than just 7 1/2 foot up a tree.

That would just get you up there where deer could see you easier.

I would want to get at least 15 foot up or I owuld stay on the ground in a ground blind..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I find it hard to shoot from more than 10-15' up.
(When your crossbow is still on the ground and you're shaking and clutching the tree with both arms it's practically impossible to shoot well) :wink:
I don't like heights all that well, so I try to find locations where the 10-15' range will suffice. I am comfortable and secure feeling in a 15' ladder stand, but the hang-on or climber just doesn't seem as secure to me. Yes, I do wear a full body harness, and I stay attached to the tree from the ground up with the climber, but I'm just more relaxed at less height, so I try to stay low. Each set-up is different, so you have to use some common sense and judgment with stand location.
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

easy fix for elevation compensation...

providing you have vari-zone

sight your xbow in on the ground ...however you do it take shots from same elevation you intend to hunt from...10 15 20 what :wink: ever

all you need to do to compensate is turn the dial to a faster settin as if your shooting a lighter arrow until it brings you to the bull..done finished go get ya one..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!