Tree stands---how high?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

easy fix for elevation compensation...

providing you have vari-zone

sight your xbow in on the ground ...however you do it take shots from same elevation you intend to hunt from...10 15 20 what :wink: ever

all you need to do to compensate is turn the dial to a faster settin as if your shooting a lighter arrow until it brings you to the bull..done finished go get ya one..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
nerosrevenge

Post by nerosrevenge »

Personally I can't really see an advantage to going up beyond 9-12 feet. Even if you consider the deers ability to wind you, would anyone dissagree if they could wind you from 9'-12' they would be out of range regardless? That means at even a 40 yard shot, the deer would be only about 120' away, even in a light breeze is it possible they could pick you up that close?

IMO this could be overcome by correct stand placement. Height is a secondary factor (not to say that's it isn't important, just less important).

Again just my $0.02. Thoughts?

Steve.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well Nerosrevenge since you asked and I quote....

"Personally I can't really see an advantage to going up beyond 9-12 feet. Even if you consider the deers ability to wind you, would anyone dissagree "

well yes the deer do use there nose and eyes to identify those who wish to kill them...and if your low in a tree you can get busted pretty easy movin around even if your careful, and if the wind is not good to you or if a deer sneaks up behind you they may smell you before you know it..so logic tells me if your higher in the tree your more likely to stay out of sight and the scent will carry further before it descends to the ground...so in some cases yes higher is better..not a given I will say,, and I have harvested deer on the ground...sayin all that I will say sometimes there seems no rhyme or reason..I can do everything wrong,,noisey, stink, bad wind, ect....and low and behold here comes a deer from down wind...

I do get away with more movement at 15-20 feet up.and I try to play the wind always first :wink: .I try to scan the woods well and as long as I get the drop on them i can be ready for about anything...IMHO..
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went out today and set a new hang-on stand for the evening wind direction at my feeder site. I put it in about the only suitable tree near the feeder, a maple right behind a big cedar. The landowner was with me and helped me get it set up, so we trimmed a hole through the cedar limbs to give a clear shot at the feeder, but left branches above & below the "window" to conceal the stand from approaching deer. There's a couple of shooting lanes to the approaches, too. I didn't trim too much, until I get a chance to actually sit in it and watch deer come & go. I first hung the stand with the foot platform about 14' up, but after sitting in it I lowered it to about 11-12' for better shooting lanes with less trimming. I left the 15' climbing sticks in place, and chained & locked all in place. The shot at the feeder would be a close one (9 - 14 yards depending on which side they choose) but it's a great location! At this location any higher would not work well, the wind is right inmy face in the evenings, and I have plenty of cover behind me from any of the deer trails approaching the feeder site. I'll take some pics the first time I'm there with the camera with me.
wabi
nerosrevenge

Post by nerosrevenge »

Hey there Hoss, thanks for replying.

I agree with you to an extent (I have to say I find this debate interesting since I have yet to shoot a deer from a stand, all mine have been from the ground) that being said, if the same logic is used as in picking a ground spot, the stand simply gives you more luxuries (enhanced movement & reduced scent interference) generally speaking. However, the question was "how high" and given all the facts and opinions (much appreciated) I don't feel that going up higher is warranted in most cases (at least for crossbow hunting) and certainly not at the expense of comfortability (it's hard to hold your bow right if your knees won' stop shaking :D ).

Now if we were talking rifles...that's a whole other issue!

Thanks.

Steve.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I can see what your sayin....Its kinda all in what I guys use to..

good luck to ya..
A.W

Post by A.W »

988 feet......Above sea level according to my GPS. Like I said before. "I don't bounce as well as I used to". I'm just going to use my pop-up.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.