VARIOUS TIP WEIGHTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

VARIOUS TIP WEIGHTS

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

What difference can one expect in arrow flight, if he uses 100 grain tips,and then changes to 125 grain?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Bob from 10 to 20 yrds nutten, 30 or more your bolt will drop slightly. You will also lose a few fps. The trade off is in KE. If you are talking Broadheads could be a lot so check the flight.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
nerosrevenge

Post by nerosrevenge »

Hey Bob. I would guess it would depend on a couple of factors.

First off what bow do you shoot and second what you intend to hunt with them. The heavier broadhead will slow the arrow down some so your trajectory will not be as flat. However, a heavier arrow will have more inertia and as a result more hitting power. The length of your arrow and the type/size of te shaft will also effect the overall weight.

I shoot Gold Tip Laser-2 graphite bolts at 20" with 100 gr. WASP broadheads. That arrow penetrates 6" of solid foam board insulation with ease from even 40 yards so your have no trouble with a deer. For larger game (which I have yet to hunt with a crossbow) you may want to go with a heavier arrow. Someone else who has more experience with hunting larger game should be able to help you.

Bye for now!
Steve.
BOB VANDRISH

ARROW TIP WEIGHT

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Steve,I should have mentioned that I have an Exocet bow,using those 2216 Easton aluminum bolts,but I do not know their weight.
The current field tip is 125 gr.
I am quite pleased with the data so far,as I had it zeroed at 35 yards,and was shooting 6" groups offhand at 45 yards.
It is shooting 4" high at 10 yards,where I am experimenting with a tentest target in my basement before I go outside with it.
I am sure I can compensate for that difference,depending on where I am in relation to the shot.
Thanks again,
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
johnbuck9

tip weight

Post by johnbuck9 »

My hunting buddies and I were shooting our exomaxs this morning with broadheads, I was shooting the 100gr. boss, at 40 yards, and they were right on the money, so I decided too try something and took a 125 muzzy 4blade screwed it on spin tested it and let her fly at 40 yards with the exomax and could not believe that the arrow hit the same as the boss 100 grain, the only thing i can come up with is that the arrow absorbed more energy with the extra weight, and the power of the max put her there, I know I was shooting a hoyt deveiater one year powerful bow 5 3/4" brace height shot 310 I was shooting 360 ACC and then went too 371 ACC a bit heavier and actually picked up speed, so it pays too experiment, Iam shooting GT lazer arrows.