thinking about getting a crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rookcaca!

thinking about getting a crossbow

Post by rookcaca! »

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a crossbow to bowhunt deer. I was thinking about getting the exocet with the varizone scope. I know this is not the fastest crossbow but it is all I think I will need and the mag or max is just overkill. There is not much difference in the prices so should I spent the extra money and get the quicker crossbow? Thanks
P.S. Do you guy do much 3-d with your crossbows? I may also be interested in it.
johnbuck9

thinking of crossbow

Post by johnbuck9 »

IMHO, if you want both hunting,and 3D shooting then the exocet, and this bow will kill most anything you will ever want too, myself, I like the Mag, and Max, I like that extra speed, and flatter arrow flight,overkill, I really do not believe in that, Ill take that extra speed anytime, now shooting a squirrel with a 10gauge 3 1/2" mag might be over kill, but this is what I like, the choice is yours, and no matter what you decide on , you can't go wrong, there all great bows :D :D :D
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

you came to the right place..

To me? There is no such thing as "overkill.."

IMHO.....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Re: thinking of crossbow

Post by GaryL »

In part
johnbuck9 wrote: I like that extra speed, and flatter arrow flight,overkill, I really do not believe in that, Ill take that extra speed anytime, now shooting a squirrel with a 10gauge 3 1/2" mag might be over kill,
And shooting a squirrel with a Mag or Max is over kill Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Richard

Post by Richard »

In fact that I live in Europe and in most countries here crossbow hunting and bow hunting is illegal, I use my Exomag only for target shooting.
Do I need the speed of the Exomag? I wouldn't even need the speed of the Exocet or the Vixen!
But for me shooting is just fun and I like the power of the Mag. :wink:
Just choose the bow you can cock without sweating and cursing! That's the only point I would care about!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Read that Richard, Shame that in Europe and in most countries there crossbow hunting and bow hunting is illegal. I wonder why that is :?: As I live in U.S.A. I must confess I am not at all familiar with out of country hunting and firearm or archery laws.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I don't know why hunting with bows is illegal here. But tomorrow I'll ask a good friend of mine who is a hunter. Maybe he can tell something about the reasons why it is forbidden. I'll report then!
Maybe the people here see it "safer" or "quicker" to kill by a rifle or a gun. That could be a reason but I really don't know.

Whatever: In my opinion it is far better to eat some meat from a animal that was hunted (rifle, bow...) than to eat some meat coming from the industry, where the animal has never seen the daylight or ever smelled fresh air!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I guess I'd agree there is no overkill with a crossbow, but there is a definate over-bow!
I find the Ecocet is about my personal limit for comfortable cocking due to my short stature. I also find the Exocet is quite adequate for deer, and fine for 3-D shooting. I think you would find the Exocet plenty of power for moose, and if you also plan to target shoot the lighter bows are much less tiring to repeatedly cock. I find myself frequently wishing I'd held on to my old Vixen when I purchased the Exocet. The Vixen was well suited to target shooting, and very capable of taking deer, too. Just a little less effective hunting range because of the slightly lower velocity. But IMHO each heavier model only gains 2-3 yards of ethical hunting range over the lighter model, so it's simply a matter of selective shooting as you exceed approximately 25 to 30 yards.
wabi
Richard

Post by Richard »

Today I asked my friend about the hunting regulations in Europe. He said that the reason why crossbow hunting is illegal is, that it is seen as a cruelty to animals.
For this reason the hunt on "hoofed game" (hope that is the correct word) is strictly forbidden.
This seems to be the main argument.
But there are signs that bowhunting or crossbowhunting in Europe may be legal in the future because some important hunting organisations want to allow it. These are as far as he knows hunters from scandinavian countries and especially from Germany.
(But the Germans are seen as brutal, too, so I don't know if the rest of the countries in Europe listen to them. :wink: )
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks for the information Richard, one day maybe it will be legal. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

hey rook like the guys said you came to the right place.........i searched and searched at least six months before buying an xbow. i found this sight and followed it as a guest for awhile then shot alot of competitors bows. i bought the exomag in july after shooting it one time. for the weight,trigger pull,accuracy,reliability, and price, these can't be beat. i've been practicing alot in the yard and i'm tellin you DONT SHOOT TWO ARROWS AT THE SAME SPOT.......i learned the hard way :lol: i ruined another arrow tonite at 30 yards....NEED MORE GOLDTIPS :lol: -----STEEL
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Rookcaca, as I have on another thread, a friend of mine passed away 2 weeks ago and His widow is trying to sell his exomag. It is 2 months old. Check around on some prices then make her an offer and I'll take it to her.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
johnbuck9

excalibur

Post by johnbuck9 »

GaryL,

Your sure right on that, the last tree rat I shot with the max, i had too drive too the next county too pick it up, swooped that baby right off his feet and just kept sailing. :shock: :shock: :shock: