some strings more accurate than others?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

some strings more accurate than others?

Post by bobcat »

my micro 335 doesnt seem to be the tack driver it was last season. i has a string reserved and it seems like since then i have had to adjust the brace alot but now it has stretched back out but my groups arent as good as last year. i tightened everything before i started shooting. i bought a box of new quills which are what i was shooting but im not putting them right on top of each other like i did last year or in the spring.

i have another string that was on it before and shot well i might try that or maybe my new box of quills are as good as the ones i was shooting last year. i will also try shooting the old arrows and see if it makes a difference. it is shooting plenty good to kill deer out to 40 but i know it has shot better and i dont want this to be the start of a problem that gets bad when im ulling the trigger on game.
racking up points

Re: some strings more accurate than others?

Post by racking up points »

It's tough to help you because you aren't indicating how much the groups have opened up. What kind of grouping are you getting at 40y? Even with those subpar arrows, I'd think sub 2" groups at that distance should be achievable. Are you using a rest and sighting in with the same arrow?

I seriously doubt it's your string - I have had some quieter and faster than others, but they all shoot to just about the same POI. I'm more apt to point the finger at the arrows or the shooter. Have you tried to index the arrows, (rotating the cock feather), until you get that arrow to hit POA?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Usually the string doesn't cause accuracy problems. If'en the servin gets spread out or deeply grooved at the claws. Or the servin n string dia. is too thin those things can play hob on accuracy
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

No expert here but many are..I say look at your arrows ..Here is good one.i have zombies .001/.003 ..The .003 ones will shoot 3 inchs lower than .001..

both weight same 306 grains with 16 inch arrow.

what i cannot figure out is arrows that shoot good for say 8 shots then all of sudden shoot badly ..only thing i did was adjust new string 3 times in say 12 shots on brace height and adjust scope [tact zone] ..
i sent in scope because we tried everything 1 arrow shot 5 inchs low ..arrows shot fine in my other micro 335 i have 2 micros..Soooooooooo,did adjusting new string 3 times in 10 shots cause bad flight?or is it scope?everything is tight on bow ..last night i found 1 bad arrow in 5 you had to turn vanes zombies .001 ..it really shot off like 4 inchs.....

so i blamed 2 things ,new string adjusting it or scope or even if zombies shot good in first 8 shots can something cause erractic groups?Will know for sure when new scope comes i just feel its not scope for some reason ...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

racking up points wrote:It's tough to help you because you aren't indicating how much the groups have opened up. What kind of grouping are you getting at 40y? Even with those subpar arrows, I'd think sub 2" groups at that distance should be achievable. Are you using a rest and sighting in with the same arrow?

I seriously doubt it's your string - I have had some quieter and faster than others, but they all shoot to just about the same POI. I'm more apt to point the finger at the arrows or the shooter. Have you tried to index the arrows, (rotating the cock feather), until you get that arrow to hit POA?
you are right on turning vanes even best.001 zombies do it as i posted ..but what could all of sudden cause arrows to act like you have to turn vanes ..2 go high to right in group next one dead on and next one 5 inchs low after they shot fine first 8 shots..i blamed scope even tho i feel its not scope ...
janesy

Post by janesy »

sproulman wrote:No expert here but many are..I say look at your arrows ..Here is good one.i have zombies .001/.003 ..The .003 ones will shoot 3 inchs lower than .001..

both weight same 306 grains with 16 inch arrow.

what i cannot figure out is arrows that shoot good for say 8 shots then all of sudden shoot badly ..only thing i did was adjust new string 3 times in say 12 shots on brace height and adjust scope [tact zone] ..
i sent in scope because we tried everything 1 arrow shot 5 inchs low ..arrows shot fine in my other micro 335 i have 2 micros..Soooooooooo,did adjusting new string 3 times in 10 shots cause bad flight?or is it scope?everything is tight on bow ..last night i found 1 bad arrow in 5 you had to turn vanes zombies .001 ..it really shot off like 4 inchs.....

so i blamed 2 things ,new string adjusting it or scope or even if zombies shot good in first 8 shots can something cause erractic groups?Will know for sure when new scope comes i just feel its not scope for some reason ...
If they all shoot well from one bow, but not the other why would you suspect the arrows?
I would have swapped scopes and tried that. If the "good" bow all of a sudden started shooting erratically there's your issue. Maybe I'm not following you, there where a lot of numbers tossed around in there.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

[.............
Last edited by sproulman on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

sorry for not being more specific before. my groups went from less than a chew can last year at 40 from a rest with stock quills that i never bothered to mark cock feather. just load and shoot.
to a little bigger than a softball this year with the new arrows and reserved string. when i first got the bow i read on hear where everyone said to upgrade the scope and arrows. i thought "why would i do that when i can hit a skoal can everytime at 40 yards."
i will try the old arrows vrs new and playing with the cock feathers.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

bobcat wrote:sorry for not being more specific before. my groups went from less than a chew can last year at 40 from a rest with stock quills that i never bothered to mark cock feather. just load and shoot.
to a little bigger than a softball this year with the new arrows and reserved string. when i first got the bow i read on hear where everyone said to upgrade the scope and arrows. i thought "why would i do that when i can hit a skoal can everytime at 40 yards."
i will try the old arrows vrs new and playing with the cock feathers.
\
to me it was learning and fun turning vanes..even the best arrows i had to turn a vane ..Quills have no cock vane.before i knew you had to turn Quills i was sticking same vane in slot over and over Then heard about turning arrow vane..WOW groups really got better at 30 yards...
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

so you shoot each arrow a bunch of times to figure out which vane down shoots best then mark it as cock vane and always shoot that vane down?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

bobcat wrote:so you shoot each arrow a bunch of times to figure out which vane down shoots best then mark it as cock vane and always shoot that vane down?
You got it.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

bobcat wrote:so you shoot each arrow a bunch of times to figure out which vane down shoots best then mark it as cock vane and always shoot that vane down?
YES..put dot on 1 vane 2 dots on next 3 dots on 3rd..shoot 3 shots with that arrow turning arrow ..DO NOT WORRY that it does not hit your target dot you are shooting.
i draw a picture on piece of paper at table showing the location of first arrow shots.dot 1 hit there ,dot 2 hit there ,dot 3 hit there ..
then i draw picture no.2 arrow showing locations of arrows and which dot hit where..

you may have 1 arrow dot 2 grouped with others,another arrow dot grouped with others at dot 1 on vane ..

after done i mark vane of arrow that grouped with others and use that vane ..you will see things get better and all arrows hitting same spot ...
acreek

Post by acreek »

Strings can make a difference. Just ask competitive shooters who can become as picky about their strings (even single loops) as PGA tour players can be about their golf clubs. You can shoot two strings on a bow, both high quality strings, and string A might group arrows d good but arrows x are not as good. While string B groups x good but d are not as good. Essentially, your string affects the dynamic spine of your arrow, which affects flight of the arrow, which can affect group size in addition to location of impact. Two strings might have two different strand counts, be made of different material, have different serving diameters, be made with different serving materials, have different amounts of serving on them, and even have different amounts of wax on them. Weights are different. Elasticity is different. Speed is different. And I have handled enough string material to tell you unequivocally that there can even be a difference between the same material on two different spools of the same material. I can go to my bench right now and hand you two different spools of the same material and they feel different. And I can do that with different materials. I think dyes have something to do with the differences but some spools feel like they have more wax on them than others.

Any time you put a new string on, approach it as if you have to go through the tuning process anew. Try experimenting with different brace heights, shafts, and head weights to see what that bow and string combo like the best. You can also search for a more forgiving setup that won't be as fickle with changes from string to string and shaft to shaft.

Think about it this way, you can keep the same string on your bow and play around with its serving, brace height, and such and that changes how your arrows fly from that string. So two different strings could easily change things a bit.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

acreek... what you say is true to a certain extent, and is the main reason I keep 2 identical strings on hand from the same string maker. But... even though one string brand will shoot a different poi than another one, it should still group them the same. I have tried strings from most of the string makers here and when I change strings I usually need to adjust my speed ring if I go from a 28 strand string to a 40 strand string, or vise versa. If I ever found a string that shoots erratically I would send it back for a refund and not buy from that person again.
There are a few things that could be causing erratic poi. Loose bolts or screws, loose or faulty scope, loose riser, poor fletching job, arrows themselves, or even operator error(such as uneven cocking, pulling the trigger in stead of squeezing). I sighted in my 330 yesterday and am shooting quarter sized groups at 40 yards. I am using 18" spine indexed Spynal Tapps with 110 grain inserts and 125 grain field points.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Ron, thats good to hear on new string grouping ..So it looks like its my scope as arrows shot great from my other micro but that micro string is from mike and other one not..it was down to new string or scope most said its not string that caused the arrows to fly all over target after 8 shots of shooting great..