Car Crashes, Skeeters, and Snorting = #2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Car Crashes, Skeeters, and Snorting = #2

Post by nchunterkw »

Today is my daughter in law's birthday, and I was informed that we were going to dinner tonight, so that nixed my plan to hunt this afternoon. So I drug my lazy behind out of bed at 5:10AM and headed out to a spot on the other end of the property from where I shot a nice 7 point 2 Sundays ago. It was not supposed to rain, but after my short drive to the property, when I got out of the truck the wind picked up and it sure felt like rain. I got back in and waited a few minutes and checked the weather on my phone. No rain. Hmm...Even though it was cooler (68ish) it was still really humid. I got back out of the truck and got my stuff on. Every time the wind would blow drops of water would come off the trees, but it wasn't raining. I got setup after a short walk in and settled in. It was still pitch black but I just felt good about the morning. Still pitch black, and I hear off in the distance, I'm not even sure where or how far, some tires screech and then two low thuds right in a row. Holy crap! Someone just crashed their car, and it didn't sound too good. I prayed for them. I figured if that was what it was I would know soon enough as I should hear sirens. I did but it was a good 7 to 10 minutes before I did. I prayed for them again. The wind was switching around so I was a little worried about that, but there wasn't much to be done. I figured, hey it's keeping the mosquitos down. Even though I have a Therma Cell I try not to use it if possible as I think deer smell it. Well just as it's getting really light enough to see 40 or 50 yds to shoot, they decide to attack en-masse. I move my hand to swat them and it happens. From behind me SNOOOORT!! Dang it!. Stupid skeeters.....I look but can't see anything. I figured it was the buck I saw on my trail cam as it was just one short and that was it. He's gone and he busted me. Means this spot's probably shot for at least a few weeks. Then 5 minutes later....from a little further up then hill behind me....SNOORT, Snort, snort snort.......I turn and fumble for my grunt call. Did he come back or is this someone new....I have no idea. He gives one more snort and hops away. Just then I finally have my call and giver him 2 young buck grunts. Nothing. Well it really just got light like 10 minutes ago, so I turn around and hope for the best. Maybe some does will come in from the other direction. I really need to put a ladder stand in this area and get off the ground. Feels like I'm right in the travel corridor.....Another few minutes pass and ...SNOOOORT! Really? This time he is back. Maybe the grunt call worked. He never did figure me out as I had my leafy suit on and was sitting in some brush I piled up and behind a tree. I turn to my left and I can see him broadside at about 20 - 25 yds up the hill. He's facing right. I need to slide forward and turn to get a shot so my bow will clear the tree but I don't think he will wait for that. What to do? I am behind a tree.....so I turn back forward, switch the bow to my left hand and slowly turn to my right. I'm clear of the tree. He turns too and is now broadside facing left. I am sitting holding my Micro lefty and have the crosshairs on him. I'm feeling like 20 - 25 yds, so I hold the 20 yds cross hair behind the shoulder and at the top of the shoulder and squeeze the trigger. Whack! Looks like a good hit but maybe a bit low. I wait a little bit then go look for the arrow. Nada - but it turns out where he was standing was more like 30 yds. Now I'm a bit worried that the hit was too low. I go back and get my leafy suit on and re-check the line of the shot. Oh! I walked a little right of it. Maybe I will find the arrow and some blood. I take a slow walk on the correct path...nothing. Arrow is definitely gone. So it goes with ground hunting. I don't see any blood either. But I know the direction he ran and it's pretty open woods, so I go 5yds in that direction and walk back towards my stand...Bloood! Yes!! I hang my hat in the tree so I can find it, back track the blood a little bit to see exactly where he was standing and get a direction of travel, then go pack up my stuff and start the search. The ground is wet, but not like after a rain, but it makes the tracking job a bit more tedious than normal. In all he went about 100yds maybe a little more. The shot actually clipped his front leg and entered the brisket low but exited higher as he was uphill from me. The RamCat blew through him like butter and took out the bottom of the heart. I got him all cleaned out and started the process of walking my pack and bow about 50 - 60 yds, then going back and getting the deer and dragging him that far. Repeated that for about 400yds to the truck. I started tracking around 7:34 and was at the truck at 8:46. Not bad, but I was pretty tired. God did a great job guiding that arrow and guiding me to find that beautiful animal. Now that animal will help some folks who are hungry.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Re: Car Crashes, Skeeters, and Snorting = #2

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer good deer, heck of a drag most a qtr. I had to cut mine in half to get him out. Nice story i was wid ya twistin n turnin tryin to get on the deer wid scope fer shot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on the deer.. Great story...
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats on the buck and that was one heck of a story!!!! One question tho HOW MANY POINTS WAS HE??????? Lol
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Congrats Keith! Great story and I'm happy to hear it had a good ending!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the deer!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on the deer. I've never attempted to take one 'lefty', but its on my bucket list. The key is thinking to go lefty when the situation presents itself. Good job.
DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

very nice keith good story
ads1

Post by ads1 »

Congratulations, Great Story! Our season starts Saturday and can't wait.
acreek

Post by acreek »

Well done. And no doubt I will now be practicing lefty just in case. Haha
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Congratulations Keith. Lot of things going on during that hunt. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I enjoyed it. The best to you in future hunts.

Stephen
Matrix 380
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hey nice job and nice story congratulations !
By the way what did you harvest ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Mark Rainbolt wrote:Congrats on the buck and that was one heck of a story!!!! One question tho HOW MANY POINTS WAS HE??????? Lol
God Bless,
Mark
HAHA! I realized I left that detail out. :roll: He looked to be a 1 1/2 yr old 7 point. Good eater buck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DuckHunt wrote:Congrats on the deer. I've never attempted to take one 'lefty', but its on my bucket list. The key is thinking to go lefty when the situation presents itself. Good job.
DuckHunt
You are exactly right. This is the second time I did that. Oddly it's not as hard as it may seem. Of course a super accurate Excalibur Crossbow helps that immensely
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:Congrats on yer good deer, heck of a drag most a qtr. I had to cut mine in half to get him out. Nice story i was wid ya twistin n turnin tryin to get on the deer wid scope fer shot
my deer cart is just great Mike.only 50 dollar one off e bay ..high wheels are best at 18.5 inchs .. i put my stand/bow on top of buck too all strapped in with rachet strap...i hunt in worst brush laural 8 ft high with only deer trails ..
in snow we use plastic sleds from lowes with high sides..

some are cutting meat off the deer and leaving it but my deer cart is just great ....