Micro vs Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xs109c2

Micro vs Matrix

Post by xs109c2 »

Why would I want a Matrix when a Micro is smaller and just as fast. Is the ease of cocking of the bow the only difference? I've shot both and can't understand why they even manufacture both?
Excaliber Exocet & Relayer25
Ten Point Phantom
janesy

Re: Micro vs Matrix

Post by janesy »

I have both. The micro is just awesome for being so compact, by the matrix fits like a rifle.

I'm keeping both, matrix for the ground and micro for the trees.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have both and I still don't know the one I like best . I hunt with one for a week and then the other.
Eck

Post by Eck »

The Matrix 330 and Micro 335 both provide substantially the same performance. I have both, and as time goes on, I'm liking the 330 more. The Micro is a very tight, nice little package, but I just shoot the 330 better. I can cock my Micro without any problems, but not everyone can due to a variety of reasons. The Micro is more difficult (some would say substantially more) to cock than the 330. In a small ground blind, heavy brush, etc. the Micro is admittedly much handier of the two.

Practicing Saturday before qualifying to hunt at a local military base, I put 4 Diablos (not even my good arrows!) in a 2" group at 40 yards, offhand with the 330. The bolts were buried so deep, I needed help to pull them out. I was glad I didn't shoot my 380 at that target!!

I think the 330 is probably the "unsung hero" of the Matrix lineup. Not a lot of flash and glitz, but it provides solid, dependable performance.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

xs109c2 wrote:Why would I want a Matrix when a Micro is smaller and just as fast. Is the ease of cocking of the bow the only difference? I've shot both and can't understand why they even manufacture both?
Well depends on the model if'en its as fast! I have the 335 Micro n i have the 350SE Matrix n the Matrix absolutely walks all over the Micro in fps both usin the same weight arrows. Yeah the ease of the Matrix is anudder good plus
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I also have both the 335 and the 380....the 335 is nice and compact and is a bear to cock...the 380 is, to me, a larger version of the 335...I tend to shoot both equally as well....I guess if forced to own but one bow...and most of my shots were within 50 yards....it would be the 335 hands down...

....so what did I go and do...I bought a 400....I need to speak to my shrink to fully understand why!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

I got lucky and got to handle the micro 335, matrix 330 and matrix 355 all in one shop at the same time. Before that I was set on a micro 335. But after handling, shouldering etc I settle on the matrix and finally the matrix 355. Matrix line just felt/fit me better (I didn't even consider the cocking aspect). I think the Matrix 355 ALTHOUGH my first crossbow, is the sweet spot in the excal lineup. Out of the gate in my crossbow search I was set on an Excalibur, just had to find the right one that even before shooting gave me a level of confidence. Yes I did handle other brands and compounds, kept coming back the matrix 330 and 355.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I bought a M380 then the Micro came out, and I bought one. My son shoots the M380, and I shoot the Micro exclusively.
janesy

Post by janesy »

FORVOLS wrote:I got lucky and got to handle the micro 335, matrix 330 and matrix 355 all in one shop at the same time. Before that I was set on a micro 335. But after handling, shouldering etc I settle on the matrix and finally the matrix 355. Matrix line just felt/fit me better (I didn't even consider the cocking aspect). I think the Matrix 355 ALTHOUGH my first crossbow, is the sweet spot in the excal lineup. Out of the gate in my crossbow search I was set on an Excalibur, just had to find the right one that even before shooting gave me a level of confidence. Yes I did handle other brands and compounds, kept coming back the matrix 330 and 355.
I agree, the matrix 355 is by far the work horse and do all of the matrix line. Although the price on it lends to purchasing a 380. The 355 matrix is about as much as you want to cock all afternoon without sacrificing your body. Generally speaking of course. I feel the 330 will start to take over as the population realizes that they don't need to cock the brutes to get the results
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

amythntr wrote:....I also have both the 335 and the 380....the 335 is nice and compact and is a bear to cock...the 380 is, to me, a larger version of the 335...I tend to shoot both equally as well....I guess if forced to own but one bow...and most of my shots were within 50 yards....it would be the 335 hands down...

....so what did I go and do...I bought a 400....I need to speak to my shrink to fully understand why!

Anthony :)

I hear ya brother. No more bow purchases for me until after the ATA show in January.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

Another Matrix fan here as well ( matrix 350le ) , my heart was set on getting a new micro but after handling them the matrix line just fit me better.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have both the micro 335 and matrix 330 the matrix 330 just suites me better the couple inches wider dosnt bother me the dependability of the 330 is what really appeals to me rarely a problem with one.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

In the origional post we are comparing bows of very similar shooting speeds and that is a good comparison.

However, we can also compare the draw weights of two models, as well as the upgrades included in their packages such as ADF, REDS, and Similar Scopes.

When using the Micro 335 @ 270# to a Matrix that draws just 10# lighter @ 260# :wink: where both models are dressed up the same . Doing it this way brings the Matrix 380 into the picture :shock: ....

This is a definate performance up grade from a Micro which actually gives about 315 fps with a 400 grn hunting weight arrow.... where an arrow of similar weight comes off a Matrix 380 right @ 360 fps plus or minus a couple of feet per second.

Speed equates to flatness of the arrow as it goes down range and penetration when it gets there.... I really like those two attributes.. But this sure makes choosing a bow " for the day " a tough decision as I head out the door to hunt. :lol: :roll:

Did I mention ? I have a Micro 335, a Matrix 355 and a Matrix 380. :D :wink:

As a great compromise I often pick up the Matrix 355 when heading out to hunt... :lol: ...Go figure ! I can't.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Had a 335, after the 2-380's, and then bought a 330 matrix,, by by 335, the 330 is faster if yer shooting a 400 or heavier grain arrow, I would never shoot under a 400 grain arrow. The Micro went by by and the 330 was gone when I bought the second 405 first new the second in parts, with the intention building a treestand camo 355- or what is now a 350, this was 6 months before excal butchered all the 405's in stock and offering them. I dumped mine before the big price drop hit owners of the 405's, and not because of troubles, I never had any issues other than cocking it,, to much to fun fer me.

The 350 shoots a 435 grain arrow faster than the 355 micro does, probably because of the longer power stroke but the 350 matrix does not lose speed as fast as the Micro when you go to hunting weight arrows! Same with the 330 over the the 335. Now I will say 10 or 20 fps is never going to be noticeable at hunting range,,,, only in the hunters head, at 40 yards there is not 1/2" difference in drop but I like the Matrix better.

I will not own another Micro,,, heck with a Mad Max and a Lynx in 380, and the custom 350WC,, I probably won't have another Excalibur in my cave,, for my purpose I could not have better bows than the 3 Matrix I own now.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
mmc

Post by mmc »

I agree with wildcatter. The Matrix throws hunting weight arrows further, faster and more accurately than the Micros. No contest! Some like the compact Micro as it fits their body better. Apparently I'm too old and busted up for them though, because cocking them and shooting them for hours brings out all bad stuff. They don't feel right for some other unknown reasons neither. Just don't fit me I guess..?

I'm nearly 60 yrs old, short at 5'8" and 130 lbs soaking wet (with a full belly). My back and my arm are bolted together with titanium rods, one foot was crushed so I limp a bit some days, both shoulders are junk and both hands are junk too. Last year I realized that my body was all used up and if I were to continue to shoot for fun and hunt for my wintering-over meat, I had better find something exceptional and extraordinary real quick.

I checked out the little Excal bows first, naturally, when I decided that compound bows and I were probably done. Don't know why but I couldn't stand the little buggers. I wanted to buy a M405 all along and I was ready to lay down the cash, but in those final moments settled for a 380 after fretting over the busted limb issues (turns out my new 380 busted a limb too, but thats all fixed up real nice!) that I was reading about.

Now, the 380 I can cock and shoot all afternoon and still feel like its too much fun to put up when the sun goes down! I can shoot that little sweetie everyday and do it every chance I get now. The Micro 355 I tested put me in a world of hurt and misery though. It shot like crap at long distances and with fixed blades I was ashamed to keep trying.

I shoot the snot out of the 380 though, because its so damn fun to shoot. Only one I shot that I like as much as the one I got now was the M405. Still want one of those meanies... now that I have a spare limb set... well, you know...
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range