shooting chronographs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

shooting chronographs

Post by ThunderXB »

As I'm thinking about getting one any thoughts on the best shooting chronograph for the Xbows??

The ones that seem to come up most frequently are the Shooting Chrony and the Caldwell Ballistic.

Caldwell also has a new G2 model out that is inverted and supposed to work better with less light interference, but it also costs twice as much.

Do these things work equally well inside as outside?

(I like the idea that the "original" Caldwell Ballistic model can be bought in a complete set with tripod, but functionality outweighs almost everything else as long as the cost difference isn't crazy)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Normous

Re: shooting chronographs

Post by Normous »

I have been using the CED Millennium - (Competitive Edge Dynamics) Gen 1 to verify all my arrow, M/L and Varmint handloads for various guns since 1987 and I have never had an issue with repeatability. I did twice find that it was a bit fussy setting up in a cold environment after being stored at normal house temperatures, it could have been a battery (cheap) or a cloud/light issue. What I like about this unit is that my arrow speeds will only vary 1-2 fps which tells me this unit has great repeatability characteristics.

The newer and updated CED Millennium 2 was upgraded in 2012 and retails for $199.
The additional soft case stores everything in a well thought out manner.
I have used it inside with supplement lighting and outdoors most of the time.
Set up is simple and uncomplicated.
Take a look Rich.

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED- ... h-Set.html

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/categories/Sh ... cessories/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773378 ... aph-system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzgu_6NmJEI
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Gama Master Shooting Chrony,, for around 10 years now and verified with Ohler 3 screen 33, both same readings with 3 fps difference shooting a 357 Ackley improved at over 3500 fps, within 1 fps of each other shooting a 274 fps Compound. below freezing to over 90*, but today there are many cheaper chronagraphs that are pretty accurate,, for how long is the question!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Do you know if either of the above mentioned chronographs download to an iPhone/smart phone.

The new Caldwell G2 does and that looks like a nice feature.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
ads1

Post by ads1 »

I have a Caldwell that works nicely. You can use as a stand alone or collect the data on your smart phone or computer. I use my laptop and collect all the data and the program summarizes the average, minimum, maximum, and standard deviation. You can store the data on a file on your computer.. I have not used the smart phone app. It also has a light bar so you can use it on a cloudy day. Seems like it was priced around $140.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Shooting Chrony Beta Master.

Works great. But, after you chrony every single possibly combination of every bow you can get your hands on.. it still won't make a difference and your shoot the most accurate combination, Bahaha! Save the money and buy a better scope or some zombie slayers, at least they will pay you dividends.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
SEW

Post by SEW »

Be very careful to not shoot it. I'd shoot over it. :D
Actually , if and when I get another one, I'll get the (battery powered - only come that way of course, DC) light accessory.
acreek

Post by acreek »

I picked up a Caldwell Ballistic for around $70 and it works fine indoors and outside for my archery tackle. I already had numerous tripods so I did not buy the kit. In low light or indoors, I shoot without the sun shades.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've had a Pro Chrono Digital for a few years and have been super happy with it. I've used it a lot with my crossbows and even more extensively while developing/testing handloads for several calibers. Only time I've had any issues is when the sun is at an extreme angle like at sunrise or sunset. I don't shoot indoors so I can't speak to it's performance there but I assume with the proper lighting kits it would work just fine. If it broke today I would buy it again.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have the Pal from ProCronograph and feel the same as Kegbelly. Works great indoors and outdoors.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a basic F4, far from fancy, but it works very well. Shot it last week with a high power pellet rife, I had to do some surgery with epoxy, still works great though! It's nice to get numbers from tweaking a bow, and a very important tool for reloading.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

I got a Pact XP a little while ago. I like this chrono better than any one I've owned so far. Like Norm's, it uses remote sky screens, so it doesn't make me crazy shooting close to the chronograph itself. The Pact hasn't given me any weird readings yet. Any one of the 3 Chronys I've had have, on occasion, given me errant readings. The only thing I don't like about it is the arms that hold the shades are a flimsy, cheap plastic.
I have a Prochrono which works fine but I know some day it will get shot. :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes