New Micro 335 Owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Olympus

New Micro 335 Owner

Post by Olympus »

Hey everyone, new member and soon to be new Micro 335 owner. I've never owed a crossbow so this will be my first experience. My state just allowed crossbows as a legal method for archery season for everyone, so I decided to jump in head first. My 335 is on order and should be arriving in a few days.

I had a couple questions. I think I've decided to shoot 125gr field tips and broadheads to get a more velocity from the bow. My first question is what threads are the factory bolts? 11/32", 21/64", etc? Second question is whether I can use a field tip from another brand? Excalibur branded ones are sold out so my only option for 125gr are Carbon Express field points. Can I go ahead and use those? Third question is that I planned on using the NAP Killzone Crossbow 125gr broadhead. Will that be an adequate broadhead to start with?
Buszone

Re: New Micro 335 Owner

Post by Buszone »

11/32 an yes an yes if you want to shoot mechanical heads
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
janesy

Post by janesy »

11/32 field point will work fine. I think the actual dimensions of the insert is 21/64. But I've never mentions.

Congrats on the new bow, you've got a proven killing machine on the way.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Thanks guys. So will it be alright to use the Carbon Express field points instead of the Excalibur brand?

What about the 125gr Killzone broadhead?
mmc

Post by mmc »

Olympus wrote:Thanks guys. So will it be alright to use the Carbon Express field points instead of the Excalibur brand?

What about the 125gr Killzone broadhead?
Yeah, use whatever you want to. The brand you choose does not matter.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I used those heads, and the flight did not match my field points with the crossbow's speed. i was 2" right, no biggie, just verify before hunting! They are a great head, and don't burst open when shot.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Or my other option is to just shoot the factory 150gr field points that come on the arrows and then use a Slick Trick 150gr fixed broadhead instead of the mechanical.

Would I be better off getting a little more FPS and using the 125gr mechanical or would it be just as well to shoot a 150gr fixed broadhead like the Slick Trick and lose a little more speed?

I'm new at this so I'm still learning all the trade-offs.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you want to get out real soon, and you have 150 grain heads, you'll be just fine with the small amount of lost speed. Accuracy kills, and with the 150 grains up front your FOC will be like shooting darts! Next spring, mess around all you want. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
The 150gr slick tricks out of your bow will kill anything in North America...gets my vote. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

That might actually be good advice. I know I want to try a mechanical at some point, but I'm going to be anxious to get my new bow sighted in and to get in the stand. The Slick Tricks are cheaper and if they will do the job with less work, then I should probably just go that route this year and wait until next year to start trying out some new mechanicals.

Next question, what brand makes illuminated nocks for the Excal bolts? I'm not seeing many options for the flat nock that the Excal uses.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the bow and welcome to the forum
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
acreek

Post by acreek »

In my experience, the stock arrows/bolts shoot more accurate with 150 grain heads. If I were you, I would shoot the stock quills with 150 grain heads and order up or fletch yourself up some custom bolts and use those with the lighter head weight.