Finally got to shoot this Exocet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brayhaven

Finally got to shoot this Exocet

Post by brayhaven »

Afer getting it last week & trying to get ready for another hurricane, I finally shot this thing. I fought the crossbow conversion but wasn't about to sit out another archery season with 2 bad shoulders.

I had read about the noise & recoil from all the "released energy" :o) Nah. no noise & no recoil. No distractions or flinch checks etc. Of course I shoot a flintlock, even in the gun season so maybe it's just relative.

I set the sights with a caliper and some guestimates of angles and shot it once to make sure it was in the back stop. Then I shot an offhand 5 shot group from 25 yards. First thought was. "There should be a law against these things". All 5 touching, and took out the half dollar sized bull. (peep & pin sight) Surprized the (carbon) bolts survived.

For those lurkers here, sitting on the fence about buying one of these, take my advice and, just do it. The only crossbow I had shot was years back & it struck me as a toy. Not so with these. They are great fun and serious weapons. Instead of watching football games this archery season, I'll be where I love to be. Sorry for the long winded post here but just wanted you guys/gals to know you had a hand in this. :D
gad

Re: Finally got to shoot this Exocet

Post by gad »

brayhaven wrote:Afer getting it last week & trying to get ready for another hurricane, I finally shot this thing. I fought the crossbow conversion but wasn't about to sit out another archery season with 2 bad shoulders.

I had read about the noise & recoil from all the "released energy" :o) Nah. no noise & no recoil. No distractions or flinch checks etc. Of course I shoot a flintlock, even in the gun season so maybe it's just relative.

I set the sights with a caliper and some guestimates of angles and shot it once to make sure it was in the back stop. Then I shot an offhand 5 shot group from 25 yards. First thought was. "There should be a law against these things". All 5 touching, and took out the half dollar sized bull. (peep & pin sight) Surprized the (carbon) bolts survived.

For those lurkers here, sitting on the fence about buying one of these, take my advice and, just do it. The only crossbow I had shot was years back & it struck me as a toy. Not so with these. They are great fun and serious weapons. Instead of watching football games this archery season, I'll be where I love to be. Sorry for the long winded post here but just wanted you guys/gals to know you had a hand in this. :D

I have just a no-no-no-agree point: "There should be a law against these things".

Never!

I have a exomaX. First five shots, one damaged arrow! (see gad's pics on the forum!)
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

There definatley should not be a law against crossbows.

I know you didnt mean it seriously but when a crossbow shooter says that it just gives more fuel for the anti's fire.
-Richard-
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

RichardS wrote:There definatley should not be a law against crossbows.

I know you didnt mean it seriously but when a crossbow shooter says that it just gives more fuel for the anti's fire.
That was a joke, ladies. Lighten up!! Jeez :wink: