Spitfire broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Spitfire broadheads

Post by sproulman »

I have practice spitfires but they weight 103 grs so i used dental floss on my new crossbow spitfire hunting points and they weight 106 grs..

found out that hitting target bends the little screws that holds the blades and tears up the blade retainer inside.

so if you want to use that point for hunting you will need new screws ,new retainers inside and blades as they do open even with the dental floss ..
paulaboutform

Re: Spitfire broadheads

Post by paulaboutform »

sproulman wrote:I have practice spitfires but they weight 103 grs so i used dental floss on my new crossbow spitfire hunting points and they weight 106 grs..

found out that hitting target bends the little screws that holds the blades and tears up the blade retainer inside.

so if you want to use that point for hunting you will need new screws ,new retainers inside and blades as they do open even with the dental floss ..
I'm surprised Sproul. I'd think if you were wrapping them solidly they'd be like a single unit.???

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

sproulman wrote:

You might have a loose screw :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

[quote="sproulman"]I have practice spitfires but they weight 103 grs so i used dental floss on my new crossbow spitfire hunting points and they weight 106 grs..

....sproulman, I am not following your post. Are you saying that Spitfire Practice Heads don't work properly?....If so, I had never had an issue with them.

....are you saying the practice or the actual BH's....if its the actual BH's they are not made to shoot into a target with or without dental bands and of course it would ruin the blade retainer....if fact, if I recall correctly it is not advised that you even open and close the blades because it will effect the efficacy of the BH and possible premature opening in flight....

.....if I totally missed your point please "splain" or show in images!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] They make spitfire practice blades n they are cheap why in gods name are you wrapping them!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sorry didnt mean to bring religion into it i was frustrated
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

Just Breathe Joe Its Hunting Season :D :D :D
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:Image[/URL] They make spitfire practice blades n they are cheap why in gods name are you wrapping them!
i have spitfire practice blades from 1996 .Guess what they will not fit into new crossbows points ...those 1996 points weight 103 grs with practice blades..
they did something to new crossbow points to make blades stay in more there is little bump inside on new crossbow points at screw hole vrs older ones and inserts WILL not go in..

i was finding out that 3 grs was causing my arrows to be off a little from hunting 106 grs points.about 1 inch....

when the hunting point hits it puts pressure back and bends the screws if you dental floss the blades ...
really it hurt nothing to shoot actual hunting point I THOUGHT until i saw that it bent the little screws..

I only made this post so others that may shoot their hunting points [me] not just practice hunting points i still want to be assured that hunting point goes dead on even if its 1 inch or so off with practice hunting point....

i see you used 125 gr point most likely the 100 gr ones are OFF because we weighted 9 spitfire points and they went from 105/106 grs older ones go 102/103 grs....
I am calling on friday to nap to see why my inserts will not go in the crossbow points it must be that dent inside to hold blades tighter so they do not open so most likely practice inserts are now different than 20 years ago ..

longtime i have used them isnt it .. :D
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i sacrificed a couple spitfires as prcatice tips when i first got my micro. they always hit right with my field points so i dont bother with practice tips. once in a while i will send one of the "sacrificed" tips down range for piece of mind.
SEW

Post by SEW »

With Spitfires and FOCs, I lightly toughen the blades with sandpaper, fill the blade trough with JB Weld and close the blades. Then I take toluene (or whatever) and clean excess off. Then file the small blade projections to a sharp edge to lessen damage to the target. I've found superglue, thin hanger wire, dental floss ( I have a lot of that), etc do not work as well. I let it cure for 24 hrs. FOCs have worked best indexed at 6 & 12.