Exomax Problems....From the Horses Mouth

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill T

Exomax Problems....From the Horses Mouth

Post by Bill T »

I just took the time to review the Exomax Problem thread and I guess it's time to address what concerns it brings up.
1) LIMBS SPLITTING
We've seen about 25 limbs to date come back with frontal splintering and this represents less than 1% of Exomaxes that have been sold. At least 90% of these limbs are the result of dryfiring, a fact made apparent by the bent dissipator bars on limbsets I've received.
2) SERVING LIFE
The vast majority of Exomaxes get 250 plus shots on a serving, not as good as our other models, but considering the stress the strings are under not too bad either. The one we shot at the recent outdoor show in Oshawa got over 500 before we switched strings. A few have been having premature wear and I haven't yet seen a reason for this, but my feeling is that the problem is either the riser isn't sitting completely flat and the string is scuffing on one corner of it, or else there is a burr on the front edge of the sight base on the riser and the string, which goes far enough to hit this base, is cutting there. This problem is new enough and uncommon enough that I haven't seen one back in the shop yet.
As to serving spreading, guilty as charged. The other bows do it too and with the increased stress on the Max it's a foregone conclusion that it will happen. The good news is that it doesn't affect performance or string life, it just looks bad. We do not warrant things that just "look bad".
3) LIMB TIPS
Limb tips have not been an issue for years. I am aware of one limb tip problem on a Max where it was basically dryfired when uncocking and the tip hit the cement. Classify this under "abuse".

The bottom line here is that if you want a Max it will come with a set of concerns that do not exist in our lower powered, lower stressed models. Race horses are more finicky than plow horses, but they go faster. In my opinion the biggest problem with the Max is that a lot of people will buy it who are not honestly physically strong or big enough to be comfortable with it based entirely on the speed issue. If there is one problem with the design, in my opinion this is it.

I understand that a discussion of what concerns you folks have with your bows is of value, and (unlike a lot of manufacturers) I will not delete a thread that is critical of our product. I would ask you to please consider whether the thread you are starting is something that should be in our very public forum, or whether it is best dealt with by Excalibur's service department.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Many thanks for addressing the concerns that some of us have had about the new Exomax. I have complete faith in Excalibur and thank you very much for your open post Mr. Bill T.
Last edited by GaryL on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

Bill T Wrote:
I would ask you to please consider whether the thread you are starting is something that should be in our very public forum, or whether it is best dealt with by Excalibur's service department.
If they don't talk about it here they'll talk about it somewhere else. At least this way it is forthright which may make it less of a concern to consumers!
Armadias

Post by Armadias »

Bill T. Thanks for the input.
allthough I own an exocet it is refreshing when an owner reply's to it's customers concerns on line.
thanks again
Bob
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

Thanks Bill T for your input, It has been my experience that while I have gotten wonderful advice on this forum when I have ask for it :) BY FAR the VERY BEST ADVICE I have gotten, when I have had a question/problem with my Excalibur products, has been by calling the 800# and/or sending an e-mail to the fine folks at Excalibur :D

1-800-463-1817, ... [email protected]

While my problems have been few, they have been cheerfully taken care of even when they were due to my ignorance and/or carelessness :D

leo
gad

Post by gad »

Bill,

the only problem I have had with my max, was not the max itself, was the string that have too large loops, it makes the string scapes off from one limb.

As all we on the forum knows, the prompt answer from excalibur service, advice me to reduce the size of the loops, and the problem disappear completely. :)

I have faced this problem as a new oportunity to know more about my bow, and I have increased my knowledgement. Now I can disassembly a string to reduce its lenght or size of the loops. I am a more complete crossbower since it happens. 8)

And I thank you, people from excalibur, about your excellent products and services. Especially you Bill, that gave us a prompt answer to our questions.
johnbuck9

exomax problems

Post by johnbuck9 »

I tip my hat too Bill T, here is a man with great integrity,and would never blow off concerns of his clients, and fellow Xbow shooters, great job Bill,
JOHNBUCK9 :D
Dale Duryea

Post by Dale Duryea »

I have had the limb split I have had strings cut in two with no shots I have had the serving come apart I have never dry fired it I sent mine to Dan so he could look at what was going on the bars were bent as a result of the two or three strings that broke . I am not putting down the max or excal I love the bows I have the mag and have had no problems with it the max was fixed the limb or limbs where replaced at no charge to me since I got it back I've shot close to 150 shots no problem so far . so this is the thing you can buy anything and a number of what ever it is .Is going to have problems it gets fixed and every ones happy .I'll stick with excal bows. I am not out to make trouble for any one the subject came up I wrote of the problems I was having or had and how pleased I was at how it was taken care of .
Dale Duryea
BUCKSHOT

Much Like You

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I must say, I love the Excalibur crossbow. But this is my opion on the way things are!
Bill, you introduced this Forum to people who enjoy your products!
The base discussion surrounds the life of archery and the use of Excalibur Crossbows, a great enjoyment of the outdoors for all!
The only person I can speak for is myself!
I am surprised that you would make a post such as this, I think that many forum members rely on each other to solve thier own problems!
To learn about their crossbows, and not to rely on the manufacturer, no offense intended!
Somewhat knowing about your background, I am surprised that asking questions and desiring to learn, should disgruntle you!
I haven't heard of any single person cutting up an Excalibur Product!
I have heard, many desiring to understand it better!
I am glad to be aware of what is happening! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well written BUCKSHOT :!:

Dale Duryea you stated the way it was :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

mr. bill
when i decided i wanted to buy a crossbow,i started looking for information and came across this forum as part of my investigation into crossbows... i several months later decided to buy an excalibur... your website helped me find the dealer closest to me, and i wound up buying a max and i am glad i did... as having been in sales and marketing a number of years ago, i can say that i can appreciate your concerns about people badmouthing your product. thank you for making this forum available to all!
thanks philip
icthus153

Post by icthus153 »

it is good to see that there is a wide enough knowledge base that those who have problems can talk to others who know how to fix it , this forum and you folks who talk on it made it an easy choice to buy excalibur
A.W

Post by A.W »

The best place to get information in regards to a new product is from the people that have purchased the product.

While there has been some critiques on the Max, nobody has "badmouthed" it. There has, however, been comments and some people have accepted the fact that there are a couple of minor problems and they have also stated that "Excal will fix them".

If these minor problems are discussed in open forum, then anyone reading them cannot complain about the integrity of the Excalibur company or it's fine products.

Of course if Excal gave the forum members a free Max and a questionnaire to fill in and return then it could be confidential information :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

great advice,

new to the forum and just bought a max from Archer's Nook. Awesome, Still trying to train my eye to see the arrow in flight... just happens too fast..
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

Other than the serving separating a bit, my max has been performing flawlessly. I guess with the added strain the serving will do that but mine still shoots excellent. Well with any product there could be some quirks.