July thru to this morning October 10th 2016 > More pictures

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

July thru to this morning October 10th 2016 > More pictures

Post by R.J. »

Original thread was ...
"My Exocet 200 for tomorrows opening day and some rut info! "
But I'm adding a bunch of pictures summarizing July thru till this morning ...standby for more picture downloads .

This older model Exocet 200 has been a durable tack driver for me .

Ask anybody that hunts with me and they will tell you that we get into al lot of messy cover that puts our gear to the test .

So far this year ( 2016 ) , I filled a Spring turkey tag with it …

And it survived a 7 foot fall into the river when I was hunting Carp in July .( quick recovery / dry off / clean up = lucky no damage ).

Earlier today I took the fishing tackle off of it and confirmed sight in @ 20 yards > Bang On !

Drove my truck back to the shop and proceeded with today’s chores > I got all the back trails trimmed in preparation for tomorrow mornings Ontario Whitetail Archery opener . Sent Wylie a note letting him know that the ramp stand was open for business !

Wylie called later to chat about plans for the upcoming week and then I went out to put the tractor in the barn > Something caught my eye ! Yikes ! > There is my crossbow laying in the weeds where my truck was parked earlier this morning … I almost ran over it with the tractor ! You could see the tire tracks in the weeds from when I backed the truck up .

It had been leaning on the passenger side rear wheel well of the truck when I loaded my gear after sight in … I don’t know how I missed it when I loaded the gear but when I backed the truck up to go back to the shop , It slid off and I must have accidentally drove over the left limb with the front wheel of the truck > Lucky we had big rain last night and this morning so the ground was soft > Some minor dirt and scuff marks wiped off … I checked everything else and nothing looked askew except the rear scope cover wont snap in crisp .

I grabbed my Black Hole target out of the shop again and I shot one arrow at 20 yards to check ( it appeared to be slightly off center left ) > But my next two shots confirmed my usual grouping > Man I got lucky with that one !

Basically since last fall this Exocet 200 has been banged around in the bush during multiple set ups > Wetted in the Nith River during the July Carp Season > The left limb survived a run over earlier today and it’s still ready for tomorrows opening day !

Now I don’t recommend you try a “drive over” test > But , I’ve had many Excalibur Crossbow models over the years > these older model crossbows are durable and I’ve been lucky to have them stand up to the rough and tumble hunting routes I put them thru every season … And also survive a few absent minded moments ! :oops:

PS : Congrat’s to all the successful hunters that started their season in September > And Good Luck to all the Ontario Hunters that will brave the rain for tomorrows opening day !

Shoot straight and take lots of pictures !

Page break ...

Had dinner in the truck and watched the back field until dark just to see what is around > A truck slowed out at the road to the North to watch these two young rack bucks skirt my East bush line > I watched them walk the trail I cut today > they walked right under one permanent stand and three climber stand positions before they walked out of view to the South .

Sorry for the grainy picture > It was taken about 7:15pm > Had to switch to 3200 ISO just to get a focus .

What are the chances of them repeating that path tomorrow ! :lol:

Hope everyone has an exciting opening morning !

Page Break ...

I usually post this info every year around this time " Rule of Thumb " I don't have the moon phase charts posted but good reference for those that are new to the game .

Lots of rut theories out there ...

Calculation used to determine the Rut : Autumn Equinox + 2 full moon cycles + 10 days = 1st day of the rut + 14 days of activity .

Charlie Alshiemer predicts an earlier rut … The autumn fall equinox for this year falls on Sept 22 , making the rutting moon to be October 29th . According to Charlies theory , we should start seeing light seeking starting around October 24th-25th . The seeking should escalate to full chase around October 30th-31st . The breeding phase should start the following week , right around November 6th-7th and should be finished by the 17th-18th > Then the second rut should be into seeking/chase phase .

Remember > Your recovery % remains high if you pass shots on alert deer like this example.

And capitalize on close broadside shots like this example > This doe expired (years ago) , seconds after this picture was taken , when she took a step forward and offered an complete exposed vital area .

And deer vital diagram is a good reference as well .

ImageImage

It's that time of year again when I type , what I feel is a helpful "Rule of Thumb" guideline for Whitetail behavior during Oct/Nov/Dec for Southern Ontario Whitetail .

Oct week 1 and 2
Feeding : Alfalfa , Soybeans , apples .
Bedding : Small upland deciduous forests .
Rutting: Boundary scrapes and rubs

Oct week 3 and 4
Feeding : Standing corn , corn and bean stubble.
Bedding : Larger deciduous forests , standing corn .
Rutting : Secondary scrapes and rub lines .

Oct end week into Nov beginning weeks ...
Feeding: Does and fawns ~bean and corn stubble ... Bucks very little feeding leading into the rut peak ( est peak rut 1st week of Nov ).
Bedding: Larger deciduous forests and valleys .
Rutting : Breeding scrapes .

Nov week 2 into weeks 3 and 4
Feeding : Corn and Bean stubble.
Bedding : deciduous and coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting : Secondary scrapes and rub lines .

Nov end week into Dec begging weeks ...
Feeding : Does and fawns ~ corn and bean stubble ~ Bucks very little Feeding leading into the 2nd rut .
Bedding : deciduous and coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting : secondary breeding scrapes ~2nd rut ( yearlings and doe fawns )

Dec 2nd week till Dec end week .
Feeding: corn and bean stubble as well as browse .
Bedding : coniferous forest valleys .
Rutting: Secondary scrapes and rub lines in coniferous forest ..

Watch for 3rd rut peak signs ( late dropped doe fawns )

Note : Date/week/timing is approximate and will vary according to your area and area land make-up ( swamps etc ) ...

Also moon phase and weather fluctuations / seasonal advances from year to year .

Myself , I take note of what I think is peak rut in my area ( seeing
rut drunk bucks out mid-day etc. ) ... Mark the calendar and count
approx 28 days ahead for the 2nd rut and approx same for 3rd rut .

Like few years back when the 3rd rut came in around Dec 26th …
I got a few cool frames during a snowfall of a 20 yard buck with a hot doe … he chased her everywhere !

Bottom line , I cant say this enough ... Believe 50% of what you read and 110% of what you actually see and experience when you are out in the field !

Page Break > July thru till this morning October 10th 2016 .

July > Did some old gun restorations … then Fit in some turtle pictures along the Thames River and later some bass fishing .

Later July > Did a road trip after picking up my sister in Kingston Ontario then slipped down across the border and crossed the USA ( stopping too many places to mention ) > One cool stop was the anniversary of Custer’s last stand > back up to BC to visit Dad and Betty and then on to Dawson City Yukon so visit my daughter and her boyfriend . I wont bore you with all the pictures but here are some that caught my eye . PS : I even got a picture with "Big Al Mcgregor" from the series " Yukon Gold "

August / September > Had an Eng. from work ( DroneMaster JVDV ) drop by to fly his drone over my farm to take a few “birds eye” view pictures ….

I also got a cool tree picture from someone’s bush lot not far from my place …

September also brought the early goose season ( Southern Ontario ) and Archery season opener for Moose ( Northern Ontario ) > Frank V. had some fun with his first goose hunts and Chris H’s crew scored a beauty bull to top up the freezer ! ( Congrat’s Brian ! )

Then of course we were trimming trails / meeting new friends / scouting for turkeys right thru end of September into October’s Ontario whitetail deer season …

Put a lot of stand time in > Since we only have one tag this year we passed on some 25 yard does and suffered thru some unseasonable warm weather .

That brings us to this morning … October 10th > I called Frank V. last night and told him we had to get out today because of the three C’s ( Cool / Clear / Calm ) and in my experience those three C’s are key for deer movement !

Frank picked the TV tower stand at the South/West end of my property ( an awesome funnel spot between two bush lots with great food source (Beans to the South and Clover to the North ) > I set up at the North/East part of the bush . I was watching a doe feed approx 25 yards at 1st light when I noticed a glow in my pocket ( my phone was on silent but it glows when a message comes in ) > I see Frank message , buck down !

Headed to the stand and hear the story > Long story short 16 yard pass thru shot > 75 yard recovery > Shooting an Excalibur Matrix 330 , Diablo with 150 Grain Bolt Cutter Broadhead on board !

I had Frank direct me from the stand > Arrow looked good > good blood trail and yep it was piled up approx. 75 yards ! Good Shooting Frank !

Here are the pictures to help ilistrate the hunt !

View from the stand .

Lowering his Matrix 330 …

Checking the arrow …

Good blood trail …

The walk up pictures …

And , one Happy Hunter ! Congrat’s Frank ! > Keep in mind , this is only his 2nd season hunting whitetails with a crossbow > He took two text book does in his 1st season last year and this is the 1st buck he has had opportunity to arrow since then > He did a couple contact grunts at first light and heard the buck coming soon after > It walked the field edge / pawed a boundary scrape > then stepped into a ranged 16 yard shooting lane > Frank kept his cool and made another text book shot that lead to a quick recovery !

He wanted to do the whole field dress thing himself this time to seal the deal on the overall experience … But I gave him one last tip ( the old garbage bag field dress sweater routine ) > It worked great ! PS : We field dress into a garbage can to remove from the field to keep the Coyotes away .

Dragged / Tagged / Field Dressed and loaded , ready for the butcher ! The smile on his face tells it all !

Congrat’s again Frank on your 1st crossbow buck and Good Luck to all that are out hunting ! Have fun and take lots of pictures !
Last edited by R.J. on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Will have my Exocet 200 for tomorrows opening day !

Post by Doe Master »

Good luck Rick .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Great story .I have a similar love for my matrix 330 i love the thing
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I dropped my Matrix 20ft to the ground last weekend :shock:
No harm...checked zero, dead nuts!! :)
These bows are built like tanks!!! 8)
Good luck! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Roger that ... I was hunting with Sandman years ago , when he dropped his from 20 + feet up ... it landed in a swampy area and was still bang on after the drop . ( I think it was an Exomax ? )
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hope to see pictures of a kill soon!
Good luck on the opener!
bdog

Re: My Exocet 200 for tomorrows opening day and some rut inf

Post by bdog »

great pics as usual, n great info RJ, good luck with the hunts, and damn buddy, u make me miss my Vortex real bad.....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Mike C wrote :
:lol: I wish it was that easy ( sometimes it is but mostly it isn't ! )

You see tracks , you can see them , you can take pictures of them , you can read all that there is about them on the internet in articles printed by many experts ... but you still have to get an arrow thru one and that is sometimes easier said than done ! :lol:

One fact I have learned that is 100 % the truth .... You wont get one sitting at home ! > Getting out in the field is 90% of the equation !

PS : Good to hear from you Mike > How was the fishing so far this season ?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

bdog wrote :
u make me miss my Vortex real bad.....
:lol: I hear ya !
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Great post and some good reminders. Best of luck to you this deer season. Hope the next pic of your crossbow you post on here is laying on top of a deer with an exit hole thru it :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

R.J. wrote:Mike C wrote :
:lol: I wish it was that easy ( sometimes it is but mostly it isn't ! )

You see tracks , you can see them , you can take pictures of them , you can read all that there is about them on the internet in articles printed by many experts ... but you still have to get an arrow thru one and that is sometimes easier said than done ! :lol:

One fact I have learned that is 100 % the truth .... You wont get one sitting at home ! > Getting out in the field is 90% of the equation !

PS : Good to hear from you Mike > How was the fishing so far this season ?
Rick,
Fishing was still fun as always. :lol:
Caught a few nice ones, but this largemouth bass was one of the better ones. (it went back in to grow up after a couple quick pictures :lol: )

Switched to hunting mode right now. Been slow so far, but I did have a nice (big wide rack) 7 point less than 10 yards from the stand last Friday. Wasn't meant to be, though. :( Not sure what spooked him, but I never even got the bow in my hands before he blew and took off. Still a bit warm here, so I'm in no hurry to shoot one for the freezer.

I'm using the old Phoenix this year, and it might not be in style, but it sure will still group arrows! :)
tracer

Post by tracer »

Good stuff R.J.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

i had read/heard most of your info at 1 time or another but it's good to be reminded & i appreciate your putting it all in place! Thanks!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
acreek

Post by acreek »

I always appreciate the photos of vitals. It's crazy how far off some 3D targets set their vitals and I wonder how many deer suffer the consequences of shots being too far back, shots which some of these 3D targets invite and reward.

I read every year about 2nd ruts and doing so no doubt helps motivate me to hunt late season when I haven't filled my tag, but I've never seen a second rut personally or even seen any evidence of it on trail cams. Where I hunt, the gun season brings so much pressure and activity to the woods, bigger bucks lock down and will not move even for a doe. I'm envious of hunters that get to see late season rut action.

Alsheimer is a great wildlife photographer, I'll say that about his moon phase = rut phase theory. Haha. No matter what phase the moon is in, the deer seem to go through their rut phases the same dates each year. That's been my observation. No matter where the moon is or how much of it is showing, November 4th and 5th are my two best days to see big bucks cruising around.
Red_label-jr

Post by Red_label-jr »

Good luck R.j.
Hope you have a great season!