Going Grouse Hunting/Firearms Law discussion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

RichardS wrote:Allan I beleive you can cutt down the barrel length to 18.5 inches and still be legal. As fpor hunting from a vechicle it can sort of be done by getting out or off and than loading your gun for the shot. Its not how I hunt but that would be legal.
If you saw your barrel down in Canada it becomes a prohibited weapon. :shock:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

"prohibited firearm" means

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

(i) is less than 660 mm in length, or

(ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

You can cut it down as lond as it stays beyond the ceartin lenght.
-Richard-
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hunting with a sawed off shotgun is legal, as long as the total barrel length from the chamber (where the shell sits) to the front of the barrel, isn't longer than 18 inches, something like that. RichardS has the right information, thanks RichardS. The pistol grip is also legal. I bought this gun at the biggest gun shop in Saskatoon.

The real reason I bought it was for when we go fishing up north, were constantly pestered by bears. I also carry it on the Quad at all times, them freak'in bears follow you right back to your quad at times.

As far as hunting grouse, this gun is a short distance shooter, which is all you need when hunting in bushes with the leaves still on. The birds are alot braver when there's foilage. Once the leaves fall, they spook real easily way out in front of you. This kind of gun is very, very light to carry and you hardly know its on your back. I can hold it like a regular pistol or revolver. I also carry it on my back when I'm out shed horn hunting in the spring. Freak'in bears again.

Yes it is illegal to hunt off a Quad, but when we see birds on the trail, I get off walk around to the back, and get the sawed off shotgun from my homemade wooden storage box. Were really there just for the fun of trail riding on ATV's.

Grey Owl
Mooser

Grouse

Post by Mooser »

Come on guys the exocet is the best tool for wild chichens in the north, use a 2117 with a rubber thumper on it . Good Luck Mooser

Post by Guest »

Grey Owl,

When I read this quote from your first post it reminded me of just how wonderful grouse are to eat. I started salivating uncontrollably and had to wipe the drool from my chin with my shirt sleeve, looking much like Homer Simpson at the mention of jelly doughnuts. :lol: :lol:

Grey Owl said: "We have both of those here, and they are fantastic to eat. Both my wife and kids just love them. We just roll them in flour, salt and pepper, then fry them in butter."

:wink: :lol:
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Thanks Carl, (sarcasm o'plenty!). Now my mouth is watering too!!!!!!!!! With some work and a little luck this fall will provide me with several mouth-watering delicacies.
TAC

Post by TAC »

I've had grouse all around me as I've been sitting in my stand each evening this past week.

They make a lot of noise as they move around in the leaves!

Todd
A.W

Post by A.W »

RichardS wrote:"prohibited firearm" means

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

(ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

You can cut it down as lond as it stays beyond the ceartin lenght.
If done by a certified gunsmith not yourself.

Allan

Post by Allan »

You learn a lot from this sight.

Thanks guys.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

AW,
Straight from the criminal code of Canada:

You can check it if you dont beleive me: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/41775.html

Straight from the Canadian firearms center:

Definition of a Prohibited Firearm
The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

A rifle or shotgun that has been changed to make it 660 mm or more in overall length, with a barrel less than 457 mm in length;

Check it:
http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/owners_use ... ts/r&p.asp
-Richard-
A.W

Post by A.W »

RichardS wrote:AW,
Straight from the criminal code of Canada:
RichardS. I just checked with a friend of mine that is a registered gun dealer and he advised me that you are correct. :oops:

I knew about the CCC sections but was under the impression that it had to be a registered gunsmith.

RichardS

Post by RichardS »

No sweat!
My father, a retired cop was under the same impression. He also did not know you had to carry you registration on you or store ammo seperate. :roll:
-Richard-
MC

MC AS GUEST

Post by MC »

JUST CAME BACK FROM HUNTING SPRUCE AND RUFFIES. I USED MY NEW .410 BACKPACKER. 12 INCH BARREL MANUFACTURED THAT WAY.
I USED LEAD SHOT IN 6 WHICH WORKED NICELY AND NO MEAT DESTROYED.
maple

Post by maple »

If you want to knock off those pesky grouse without making too much noise, get a pellet gun. Light, QUIET, and effective. Scoped if you want so you can hit a beer cap at 20 yards. As long as it's not running.

Maple
MC

Post by MC »

WHAT SPEED PELLET WOULD BE APPROPRIATE?
WOULD UNDER 500 FPS DO THE TRICK? PROBABLY HEAD SHOTS ONLY