Tree stand vs blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Tree stand vs blind

Post by longbow joe »

I am a die hard tree stand hunter and as a longbow shooter in the past a blind has been ruled out but two years ago i tried a doghouse blind with the crossbow and i have to say on a rainy crappy day or along a field edge this things rock my point is i still love the tree but i encourage others to try one of these they definitely have a use for the hunter dont be a sceptic like i was you would be short changing yourself. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
GrassyKnoll

Re: Tree stand vs blind

Post by GrassyKnoll »

LBJ, I hear you big time... There is a new spot i'm hunting from the ground just using camo burlap draped on branches with a few pinch clips and I've taken one deer here already .. I like the freedom of being on the ground brings but so far have only shot one deer this way.. I'm wondering if mature bucks will tolerate the change to their living room on ground level though..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

Staying dry during a hunt in the second half of your life will make the edges of your lips curl upwards during those days.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

The Doghouse is a solid blind for the money. Mine has been through three seasons and still in good shape. Was too small for hunting with a vertical bow, but came in handy for shotgun season. My wife will be hunting from it with her Excalibur this year, and I'll be taking to the trees.

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
Sitkaspruce

Post by Sitkaspruce »

I have 4 ground blinds of different males from Ameristrp and Barronett, each set u depending on location and wind. I also have a ladder stand and tree stand that I now only use for elk and moose. For deer, it is strictly ground blinds as there is something about sitting in a nice comfy chair, have a little buddy heater heating the blind and watching a shooting deer from the ground. Hopefully this year it will be with my Excalibur!!

Cheers

SS
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Last year i put the doghouse in a month before hunting i brushed it in real good no deer scareing. This year mother nature took over and its part of the bushes i will post a pic . When im out again.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:Last year i put the doghouse in a month before hunting i brushed it in real good no deer scareing. This year mother nature took over and its part of the bushes i will post a pic . When im out again.
older ones had shine to them new ones do not...I use mine with nice chair inside on days its not windy and if i am tired .i use it a lot ice fishing at 1 am in mornings its nice then with heater inside ..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

JerseyJeff wrote:The Doghouse is a solid blind for the money. Mine has been through three seasons and still in good shape. Was too small for hunting with a vertical bow, but came in handy for shotgun season. My wife will be hunting from it with her Excalibur this year, and I'll be taking to the trees.

Jeff
great for turkey hunting you can move around and not seen and sit in nice chair let it rain.....
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I don't hear well, so in my Doghouse I hear even less, so for that I do not like being in my Doghouse and prefer my ladder stand, but on those real cold days, the doghouse is pretty dang warm and comfy.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a two-man ladder stand 15 yards from my feeder and an Ameristep Doghouse 20 yards from it, too.
Nice weather I'm usually in the stand (also have an "instant roof" umbrella over it), bad weather (rain, snow, or below freezing) I will usually be in the blind (with a small propane heater if it's really cold).
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I hunt lean to ladder stand, climbers, and ground blinds.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Normous wrote:Staying dry during a hunt in the second half of your life will make the edges of your lips curl upwards during those days.
That's why I drink coffee with my feet by the heater on rainy days. I find the most productive days to be the first sunny day after a front.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

like you joe i shot lb all my life did tree stands until a couple years ago went to ground hunting most of the time. nice to be in doghouse in bad weather do try a ghillie suite it will expand your hunting area 10 fold just my experience good luck bob
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

GrassyKnoll wrote:LBJ, I hear you big time... There is a new spot i'm hunting from the ground just using camo burlap draped on branches with a few pinch clips and I've taken one deer here already .. I like the freedom of being on the ground brings but so far have only shot one deer this way.. I'm wondering if mature bucks will tolerate the change to their living room on ground level though..
Your next step is the full on ghille suit :mrgreen: Gives you ultimate freedom to tweak each spot for the wind as it is on that particular day. Or to move those 10yds because the deer just won't cooperate for whatever reason.

I love hunting off the ground. Much more up close and personal. Eye level with a wild animal 10 yds or less that doesn't know you are there...............is an "aerobic" experience. :lol:

But I bought a cheap little pop up blind this year too....for exactly why Joe said.............rainy days.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I have been using a really good Gillie suit....cant remember the name...use the jacket and the hat part....deer have had no clue where I am...and I have yet to be winded....I do however dream of being comfortable up in a tree....I have tried just about everything....my latest iteration is a 'oleman Drone ($249 on eBay) which is no longer in production due to it's production costs. (Was $400 retail)....I like it and have been able to actually get this old body up a tree....ah the simple things in life :shock: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings