Serving Issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Joshuaj34

Serving Issues

Post by Joshuaj34 »

I have an Excalibur Matrix 350LE and love it. The combination of the bow and 125 grain swhacker broadheads make for a supremely accurate and deadly combination. The issue I have though is with the serving. Where the string is held back the serving completely spaces out exposing the bare string. I tried not waxing the serving it wore. I tried waxing the serving on the 2nd string and it wore. I use rail lube and string wax. The serving still wears down after about 50 shots. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or need to do differently. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
paulaboutform

Re: Serving Issues

Post by paulaboutform »

Is the serving just separating or is it wearing at the jaws? ....Do not lube the rail as this amplifies serving separation.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Make sure you are twisting the string COUNTERCLOCKWISE looking at it from outside in when turning...
Joshuaj34

Post by Joshuaj34 »

It is separating at the jaws. Right where the jaws catch the string when the bow is cocked is where the separation occurs. And am I not supposed to lube the rails? Seriously asking because I thought that was what I was supposed to be doing every 25 shots or so.
Joshuaj34

Post by Joshuaj34 »

And I'll definitely be sure to turn the string counterclockwise when tuning the bow. I can't remember if I did or didn't the previous times I put new strings on.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

New strings stretch and as anything stretches it gets thinner and the serving gets loose .
Now is the time to reserve the string the second serving should last a bit longer ,
Make a jig , buy a serving tool and serving material like Angel . or I use Halo .030
you will be able to keep your bow up and running for as long as you own it, I reserve at least once year it is easy to do see you tube videos.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Joshuaj34 wrote: And am I not supposed to lube the rails? Seriously asking because I thought that was what I was supposed to be doing every 25 shots or so.
some people lube the rail and others do not. if you are using an oily type of lube to much of it is not good. i am in the "lube your rail camp". i use jigaloo silicone spray. spray it on a rag then wipe the rail. i think it makes the rail more slippery and doing this also helps keep the rail clean. it's a win win situation using silicone spray imo
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Joshuaj34

Post by Joshuaj34 »

Will try it out. I've been using the excalibur brand lube. Just putting a little on the rail and then spreading it with my finger. If this continues I'm going to lose it. Lol.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Sounds as though your trigger latches may need polishing also
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
mmc

Post by mmc »

If you are shooting with the stock trigger you'll need to remove it from the rail and polish those pawls too. A brightly polished trigger holding the string is very easy on servings.

Oooppss... Arrowflinger is quicker than I am... :mrgreen:
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
Joshuaj34

Post by Joshuaj34 »

How do I polish the latches? And what do I use? I feel like a newbie. I'm familiar with crossbows, especially excals, but I've ran into a few issues such as this that I've never heard of.
Joshuaj34

Post by Joshuaj34 »

Gotcha... You were answering while I was asking. Thanks for the tips/info.
mmc

Post by mmc »

While I shot the stock (reworked by me) trigger it was first wet sanded with 400 grit to shape each side of the latch identically, then wet sanded with 1000 grit, followed by 1500 grit, followed by a final wet sanding (using light oil this time rather than water) with 2500 grit. At this point the trigger is normally ready to use, but I also followed up with some jewellers rouge to get a very bright final buff. The Triggertech 2.5 single stage is a much better trigger though, so thats what I shoot now.

I caution anyone attempting to open the stock trigger and reworking it for better performance unless you are skilled in doing so. For $136 shipped the TT can't be beat.

Have fun,
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

1st thing you do is send me that string n i will reserve it fer you. 2nd thing once you get string back you ck to see if'en the servin is separtin after a 100 shots or so :) Then if'en a trigger claw is chewin servin you will either send the trigger in under warranty or polish the claw/s
michael hall
p o box 72
pottersville, mo. 65790
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mmc

Post by mmc »

What vixenmaster said...!

He makes some of the finest strings I ever saw too, you'll be buying one sooner or later!