guestion about Exocet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

guestion about Exocet

Post by mdcrossbow »

I shot a small doe down in Kentucky while on a form hunt with about 20 guys. When I shot the bow made a load Twang noise , I feel confadent with my bow that I can made my shot's count but the twang bothers me allot. What can I do to to get rid of the twang ? I had the same problem with another recurve crossbow years ago. So I went to compound crossbows.
GaryL

Re: guestion about Exocet

Post by GaryL »

DaveHawk wrote:I shot a small doe down in Kentucky while on a form hunt with about 20 guys. When I shot the bow made a load Twang noise , I feel confadent with my bow that I can made my shot's count but the twang bothers me allot. What can I do to to get rid of the twang ? I had the same problem with another recurve crossbow years ago. So I went to compound crossbows.
DaveHawk What you are hearing is normal. The twang is more likely string slap. Check your brace height and make sure your bolt is butted completely up against the string.Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

DaveHawk,
The standard dacron string will take a lot of the noise away, but cost a few fps. String silencers will help too, but again cost speed. A heavier arrow may also help, but again, it has the price of losing speed.
I look at it as the noise may cause the deer to react, but the arrow is getting there quicker to offset the reaction. Either way if you keep shots at under 30 yards it shouldn't matter which way you go. For 3-D I may go back to a dacron string, silencers, and a heavier arrow, but for deer I'll stick with speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi