Shortening Wyvern creations a bit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timmypo1

Shortening Wyvern creations a bit

Post by Timmypo1 »

I've got a micro 355 on the way, and was looking to get a dozen arrows for hunting. I'm looking at getting the premium arrow for the 355 they make. They come in at 16.5", but I'd like to cut them down to 15.5" to keep my broad heads within the stirrup if possible. Talked to the owner last night, he recommended against it, but also said that plenty of people do it. Anyone have experience cutting down this specific combo? I'm not too sure how much cutting off one inch could effect arrow flight? I'm planning on shooting 100 grain Gravedigger COC's on them. Here's the arrow specs...

"We use Black Eagle Executioner .001 straight shafts and cut them to 16.5” and assemble them with 110grn brass inserts, aluminum flat nocks, and high helical white Blazer vanes and 100grn field points."
Thanks!
Micro 355
vixenmaster

Re: Shortening Wyvern creations a bit

Post by vixenmaster »

This is my advice, contact SSA (Jerry) n have a talk wid him. I get all my Custom arrow work done by him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I used 15" for my Micro 335 using 92 grains up front with 100 grain heads. With the heavier inserts, you will be fine.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

vixenmaster wrote:This is my advice, contact SSA (Jerry) n have a talk wid him. I get all my Custom arrow work done by him

.....I agree with VM....I also think you should shoot the stock setup and get familiar with it before making changes....many use stock everything and as someone has said, "many a deer have been killed with everything stock!"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

micro 355 is longer rail than my micro 335..most i see use a 16.5 inch arrow n micro 355.. in my micro 335 i use a 16 inch arrow with 1 and 3/4 inch broadhead and tip is just at edge of the stirrup...
so if i was using micro 355 most likely i would use 16.5 inch arrow just so point is not outside the stirrup ..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The main thing is safety, make sure you Cannot get your boot in under an arrow with the shortest point you would ever use! Being that this model has 1" longer stroke, 16" might be the minimum.
Safety first! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

amythntr wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:This is my advice, contact SSA (Jerry) n have a talk wid him. I get all my Custom arrow work done by him

.....I agree with VM....I also think you should shoot the stock setup and get familiar with it before making changes....many use stock everything and as someone has said, "many a deer have been killed with everything stock!"

Anthony :)
Thanks for the reply! The way I look at it is that the 4 arrows that came with it aren't going to take me far, so I'll be buying new ones anyways. The biggest factor is that broad heads are expensive, and I have quite the collection of Gravedigger 100 grains. I would think would be a little on the light side with the stock quills.
Micro 355
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

I'd also prefer my broad heads stay inside the stirrup if it won't negatively effect flight. It will be favorable to my style of hunting, which will be the bows main use.
Micro 355
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

With 110gr inserts, you will have zero flight issues with a 15.5" arrow.

Although, if it were me I'd use Zombie Slayers rather than Executioners out of any Micro, esp. the 355. IMO stiffer is better.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

xcaliber wrote:The main thing is safety, make sure you Cannot get your boot in under an arrow with the shortest point you would ever use! Being that this model has 1" longer stroke, 16" might be the minimum.
Safety first! :wink:
Thanks for the great advice! Definitely something Some might never think of until the day they lower a arrow through their foot.
Micro 355
acreek

Post by acreek »

Better choose your targets carefully. That bow will easily send 15" of length into most targets, bags and blocks alike. Crossbow targets can run 18" thick. How are you going to pull your short little bolts out when the entire length is hidden somewhere inside the target? I've seen similar problems with the 16.5" ones. Sometimes you barely have enough of a stub to push or pull. And remember, just because that brand new target stops it at ten inches, doesn't mean it's going to always do that down the road.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of that bow. You'll love shooting whatever length bolts you slide along the rail.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I am shooting 15" with 110 inserts. They work great. But Acreek has a very good point. It's not to much fun pulling them from the target
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Best advice given - he'd set you straight. I don't buy the theory that lower poundage bows need less arrow spine - stiffer is better. Go with Spynal Tapps or Zombies, I use 15.75" arrows out of my Gen 1 Micro and Matrix 310 and they are accurate as hell and impossible to let down on your foot.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits