Shoulder Issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Shoulder Issues

Post by IronNoggin »

So this started about 3 months back now. Left shoulder has always been a bit of a problem (too many accidents over the years), but it seemed to have picked up a level (or three) in the pain intensity department.

Figuring I had simply hurt it again somehow, I basically ignored the situation, continued to work (fishing) and even went on a hunt (unsuccessful 2 weeks).
About a month ago, it certainly wasn't getting any better, and in fact seemed to be getting worse. But there was work to do...

Jump forward to a few days back now. At this point if I raise the arm above the shoulder level, or go too far forwards or back, the pain becomes SEARING! Downright disabling! :shock:

Mad rush to the SawBones. X-Rays. Lots. Then a few days pacing...
When I finally see him again a few days later, he says I got good news & bad... which first.
Good Please...
NOT Arthritis. Not Rotator Cuff.
Bad???
Bursitis & Tendonitis BOTH. Bad. Can't do much beyond anti-inflammatories and perhaps physio. Meds issued. Physio spot being sought.
Dammit!!

Gave it a day or two, then tried to cock the 380. OUCH!! Nope.
Waited a few more... Nope. :cry:
Double Dammit!

Supposed to be wandering over to Alberta right shortly to try on another big Mulie buck, but if I can't draw the bow...

Now Seriously Worried, Pacing, and hoping like hell the damn thing miraculously comes back enough to allow me to run the bow...

Frustrated and in Pain...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
MTBighorn

Re: Shoulder Issues

Post by MTBighorn »

A crank may be a good option to keep you in the field?? Even when you do recover enough to cock your bow you could sure save wear & tear on what you have left by using the crank.

Sorry to hear about this! :?

So how did you fair in your contest with that monster mulie you got last year?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Matt, i bought a crank after my right shoulder reconstruction and before tearing two tendons in my left shoulder. Give me a call and you can certainly borrow it for your hunt. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Man I feel for you. I was fortunate that my rotator cuff tear wasn't real painful most of the time. I could tell it was there, but the minor pain was mostly just an annoyance. If I slept on it wrong though, I would feel searing pain when I tried to move it in the mornings. After a short while and plenty of gritting teeth, all was back to my new normal.

My issue did impact my ability to cock a crossbow, but holding back a compound bow at full draw any length of time is painful. It's all about the angle I guess. Throwing a ball is also a part of my past as that is what caused my issue in the first place and I didn't get it addressed promptly after it occurred to avoid ruining the upcoming archery season. Now I just have to live with it.

The only recommendation I would have is get a cortisone shot. I've only gotten one a couple times in the past ten years when my symptoms really flared up similar to your current condition. Immediately after getting the shot I felt like a new man. It was as if there was never an issue. The benefits wear off after a couple months, but the shot did help get me through the rough patches.

Good luck and take care.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Sorry to hear that. Those old injuries can sneak up on you... If I lived closer I would be happy to load your bow for you and help you drag those monster mule deer. :)

Hope it heals for you..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Get the damn crank Nog! You could sell it later when you get in tip top condition.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
greybuff

Post by greybuff »

Nog, Being 3 weeks out of having a 3 level fusion in my neck I feel for you. I have also had both shoulders operated on. My advice would have someone do an MRI on the neck. As neck issues can and does cause problems in all parts of the upper extremities. If you would PM me your phone # Iwould be happy to discuss with you some of the things that have helped me @ 63 still be able to shoot my longbows and continue w/my blacksmithing. Good luck and hope you feel better.....paul
Last edited by greybuff on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICRO 335 CAMO
Nikon Bolt
2Stage TT
FOR THE LITTLE LADY:
VIXEN from an EXOCET (VIXOCET)
Varizone
BOO STRING
Homemade Bumpers
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

One C2 Crank and a man is Good To GO
I Use Mine After about 20 pulls with the rope cocker on my Bulldog, That Thing is Harder to cock then my 405 :lol: :lol: :lol:
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

Get the crank. I'm only 38 years old and need it temporarily while my bicep tendon heals. You can always sell it.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Hope you feel better soon :(
A matrix 310 perhaps :?: :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Paul: Many Thanks Buddy, but I have the SawBones looking into cortisone possibilities. If that doesn't pan out, I will indeed give you a shout!

Many thanks for the kind words and offers to help drag them out Folks!
Certainly Appreciated! :D

Worst case I guess I can get my Buddy over there to load the bow, but am a little anxious given his downright fear of that weapon! :lol:

We'll see how it goes over the next few days, have a little bit of time before I have to decide...
MTBighorn wrote:So how did you fair in your contest with that monster mulie you got last year?
He managed to place First! A most excellent outcome!!

Was actually hoping to better than one by a little. Jury is still out, so maybe...
georgiaboy wrote:... A matrix 310 perhaps :?:
Ummmm... NOPE!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Been there , had Bursitis was so bad I could not shift gears in my service truck .Dr. gave me a shot of corazone and had instant relief . also he told me to eat a lot of citrus and it worked for me . hope you find a cure for your problem as I did . the acid in the citrus helps desolve the build up of calcium. I can feel your pain, not good.
W.M.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Hang in there and keep optimistic. A shoulder injury brought me to Excaliburs after 15 years of pure vertical bow shooting. SLAP tear, complete biceps tendon tear, 2 reattachment surgeries and 5 anchors later I thought I was done with archery. Shortly after rehab from my last surgery I was using the crank and was back in the game. Years later, still no vertical bows but I am able to use the rope. I know there will come a day when the crack will be the only option but it was and will be keeping me in the game.

Every injury and recovery is different but the Crank will certainly help. Good luck, do the right thing so you can heal enough to stay in the game for many years to come.......
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
SEW

Post by SEW »

The C-2 is nice. Hopefully, it will get a replacement soon.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

SEW wrote:The C-2 is nice. Hopefully, it will get a replacement soon.
I'm suspicious Sew! .......If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like you're privy to some top secret info. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.