If you were going to change from stock to aftermarket ....??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

If you were going to change from stock to aftermarket ....??

Post by VTbowman »

I new here but not to forums. So I realize this may of been asked 1000x.
However Im know so little about this, Im starting from the basics anyways . Please bare with me.
Ok. Brand new micro 335 on the way. My first n only xbow so far. Does not have factory supplied bolts. Quills I believe it would of been. So Im buying after market from the git-go.
If you had to do this, knowing shat you know now, where would you start? What would you buy? My local archery shop does not do Excalibur so keep this in mind.
Would you stick with the 16.5" bolts that would come with xbow or go custom. Would you change model of bolt and stay 16.5 or go longer?
If custom please give details.
I have already read threw the other recent post about arrow and bow set ups. Very few list the 335.
My main purpose is to hunt whitetail deer in the northeast. Shots from 10 to 50 but mainly hovering around 20-25. Mostly from a tree stand but obviously fields n log road walking too. I do however love to soup up my equipment so Im heading down that path already. Lol
Thanks for your input.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
vixenmaster

Re: If you were going to change from stock to aftermarket ..

Post by vixenmaster »

I would go to Spynal Tapps SSA Jerry out of Fl. length is a toss up as thats where the length of broadhead makes a big diff in total arrow length. I use 16.5 16.75, i will even use them longer n they hang out past the stirrup. Soup up a Micro 335, good luck. I have the Nitemare n dependin on what vanes i use its about 315 fps wid a 400gr 2219 combo. Its only around 300 fps usin my 465gr arrow n broadhead No Mercy
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Here is what I'd do, in this order, if I was overhauling a brand new bow:
-Boo Force 10 Flemish string
-Arrows: Zombies or Spynal Tapps from SSAS, go with 15.75"-16" with Blazers, 110gn brass inserts and Lumenocks
-drop in a TriggerTech trigger
-get yourself a 1.5-4x or 2-7x Leupold scope, the Crossbones is decent, the VXR is unparalleled

Welcome to the forum
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

racking up points wrote:Here is what I'd do, in this order, if I was overhauling a brand new bow:
-Boo Force 10 Flemish string
-Arrows: Zombies or Spynal Tapps from SSAS, go with 15.75"-16" with Blazers, 110gn brass inserts and Lumenocks
-drop in a TriggerTech trigger
-get yourself a 1.5-4x or 2-7x Leupold scope, the Crossbones is decent, the VXR is unparalleled

Welcome to the forum
And an HHA Optimizer for the VXR to sit on.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

My 335 is all stock but i've been looking at some aftermarket arrows. you guys have any opinions on the model specific arrows from wyvern?

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=662
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ads1

Post by ads1 »

I would use the stock crossbow and 16.5 Quill arrows with boltcutter broad heads as you start out. It will be great for deer hunting and the arrow has been optimized by Excalibur. Be aware of FOC as you experiment with different arrow and broad head combinations.After you have gained some experience then start looking at aftermarket. Trigger, string, and scope would be good starting points. I am shooting stock except for some Zombie Slayers so that I could try some "100 gr mechanical broad heads". Good luck with your deer season. :D
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Once you do those mods your bow will look and perform like this...

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
acreek

Post by acreek »

Gold Tip Swift Pro fletched with Blazer vanes using Arizona Archery EZ Bolt fletching tool worked good for me. They shoot good out of my Bulldog, and I've shot them out of Micros and Exos too.

I'd stick with 16.5" if not a hint longer. Longer shafts are easier to pull from targets and find on forest floors.

Yes, you have a crossbow, but speed wise it is either in line with or a bit slower than a lot of compound bows out there. Your bolts will be dropping quite a bit at 50. And while it is good to practice shooting at 50 yards and beyond, a shot at a live animal from that far is far from a sure thing. Keep an eye out this fall and you'll see plenty of less than ideal quick kills from crossbows at deer 20-30 yards away. So these same bench rest "tack drivers" are now hitting 8-12" or more off on live targets and doing so at "close" distances.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

......to the list you currently have I would add a DrStirrup Kit to your 335....many of us on the forum use and swear by it...It consists of a replacement stirrup, bumpers, silencers and cocking rope...all designed to make the cocking easier and making the bow overall quieter....I must also say I love the fact that I could stand my bow up on the ground...

......At least go to his web site and check out for yourself: drstirrup.com.

......I have also swapped out the stock quiver for a 3 arra Kwikee Kwiver....much, much lighter.....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

Thanks for your helps folks. I like the thought of 16.5" bolts so Im going to just go with some Quills up front. Though I really dont care for luminocks for my own personal reasons/experience. Ive been using nockturnals with great success on my compound bow arrows. Id like to stay with that brand. However...
In my local shop today the guy was saying I cant use lighted nocks on the regular quills as the micros power will split the nocks. I have to use the flat metal or Quill illuminated bolts but they have luminocks which I dont like so its a vicious circle.
Is this true?
Also can you cut a 20" down to 16.5" and be safe like reg arrows can be cut?
Lastly, where does one get brass weighted inserts for xbow bolts?
Id like go run someplace between 350-400 total grains. Prob closer to 400g.

Thanks!
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

VTbowman wrote:Thanks for your helps folks. I like the thought of 16.5" bolts so Im going to just go with some Quills up front. Though I really dont care for luminocks for my own personal reasons/experience. Ive been using nockturnals with great success on my compound bow arrows. Id like to stay with that brand. However...
In my local shop today the guy was saying I cant use lighted nocks on the regular quills as the micros power will split the nocks. I have to use the flat metal or Quill illuminated bolts but they have luminocks which I dont like so its a vicious circle.
Is this true?
Also can you cut a 20" down to 16.5" and be safe like reg arrows can be cut?
Lastly, where does one get brass weighted inserts for xbow bolts?
Id like go run someplace between 350-400 total grains. Prob closer to 400g.

Thanks!
....you can cut your arra's down to 16.5 with no issues...

....don't know why you have the reservations with the Lumenoks because a high percentage of people on this forum use and love them including myself, HOWEVER, you can also look into the Ignitors which, in my opinion are equally as good....a little heavier and come in three pieces....the insert to either be glued or inserted using a plastic grocery bag, the light stick which goes into the insert....and the clear plastic nock that goes into the insert also....

....you can buy all of your inserts and arra making parts on ebay, GoldTip Archery or just about any other reputable archery dealer....

....just make sure you buy the proper inserts, etc for the your arra ID (internal dimension)....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

Checked out drstirrup and its interesting for sure. Not sold yet. But worth more research on my part. Looks bulkier then Id like for treestands. Looks perfect for ground blinds. Jmo.

I personally didnt like the engineering of how luminocks have to be unseated slightly to be turned off. My personal experience on my compound was less then good. Spotty illumination and bounced out of shafts at target impacts. Even after running threw all the suggestions they gave me. I know many use them n like them. Not me. Not 100% confident they will perform as I expect my hunting equipment to do. Though I will say the company was stand up and no questions asked on full refund. Two thumbs up imo.

So buying aftermarket lighted flat xbow nocks will not work with the Quills then?

What about other shafts? Im all about customization so suggest on friends!
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
ads1

Post by ads1 »

Here is some info on Quill versus Zombie Slayer... FOC comparisons and weight:

For the Quill arrow the center point was 11.75 inches and a 21.2% FOC.
For the Zombie Slayer the center point was also 11.75 inches and a 21.2% FOC.
The Quill had 150 gr. Broad head and Zombie Slayer had a 100 gr. broad head.

The Quill arrow with insert, nock, and vanes weighed 250 gr. and the equivalent weight of the Zombie Slayer was 300 gr., so total weight of both arrows was 400 gr. total weight. There are other combinations but this allows me to go from Quill to Zombie Slayer without changing my scope adjustment.
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Take a look at Easton 2216 xx75 aluminium arrows.

I shoot custom 17.25 inch that with insert, nock and 125 mechanical weight 399 gr.

Cut them at 16.5 and they would be 391 gr or there about.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
mmc

Post by mmc »

Are you assembling your own arrows or buying them finished? If buying custom arrows call one of the best... Jerry at South Shore Archery Supply in Florida. He will answer all your questions and build excellent quality arrows exactly like you want 'em for a good price. Expect a 2 week wait for order shipment right now though, because this is his busiest time of the year.

Edit:
Yes, there are other illuminated flat nock options to choose from. Firenock is one of the most expensive.

And as far as shafts go, Zombies, Spynal Tapps and Tactical Tapps are all on the bleeding edge of highest performance.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range