New bow advice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hillHuntR

New bow advice?

Post by hillHuntR »

I own 2 excaliburs...an SMF Axiom and a Exomax. Got the axiom the first year the synthetic rail came out then bought the exomax for a steal when the matrix line first came out. I love both bows and will not part with either, but i have the itch for a new bow. Talked my dad into a 355 matrix a few years ago and it seems very nice. Life has been hectic last 2 years and i have lost touch with what all is going on with this forum and newer models (have been reading a lot on forum to catch up). Been a little gun shy about the micro line despite how nice they seem..faster energy loss and what seems like increased limb issue potential (held a 335 once, havent seen others). Want something compact for long walks though....the max especially kills me on mile plus walks carrying a climber. Kind of leaning towards matrix 355 or 380. I like shooting heavy arrows (450 to 500 grains)...would a roughly 450 grain setup get me at least 330fps out of a 380...i know from my axiom much less is plenty for deer. Just curious. Are people seeing huge drops from heavy arrows in micros...even just from 20 to 30
yards?

Also, interested in an hha optimizer, but i only see right hand models. Any leftys use them anyway? The pics i see of these look like scope eye relief would be fine for a lefty...i am used to operating right handed bolt guns with ease.

Btw...the axiom has taken a coyote this year, while the exomax has a doe too. Like to give them equal playing time. Shooting BEE with 92 grain brass up front, blazers, and 125 grain VPA 3 blade non vented broadheads at the moment

Thanks in advance for any advice, sorry so long winded
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
W.Miguire

Re: New bow advice?

Post by W.Miguire »

You can't go wrong with either one . I have them both and shoot the same arrows . the 380 shoots a bit flatter and is a little harder to cock . the 355 is also a pleasure to shoot and kills um dead . it's your choice.
W.M.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, go with a 355 Matrix and you'll be very happy.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sportsman700

Post by sportsman700 »

Had the 380 shot Great but was rough to cock all day of shooting.. Now have a 350se and Love this Xbow, so go with the 355 or find a 350se or 350le :D
350 SE
Red Hot Pin Point Scope
17" Spynal Tapps
Raven Broadheads
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

I've owned my Matrix 355 for about eight months now, without one second of "buyers remorse". You could never go wrong with one.
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Chronod my 350 LE at 330 fps with 430 gr arrow and Flemish string
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Love my matrix 355, two bears and two turkeys with it. In 5 days hopefully a deer :lol: . I also have the HHA optimizer on it to, love that setup on it. Good luck on what you get!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
xbolt

Post by xbolt »

My 355 shoots 325fps with total arrow weight of 442 grains
Matrix 355
Triggertech 2.5
18" Bee's
Nchunter strings