At least I heard a deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Re: At least I heard a deer

Post by newbie »

mr meat wrote:
munch wrote:
mr meat wrote:I got in the bush Sunday for a little look and was surprised with what I seen! Nothing :shock: no tracks,rubs or scrapes! Was cutting some grass this morning and had 2does run out in front of me!I no the deer are around but maybe there staying in the corn
Wes you need to pm your address I've had kathys boofest mount ready for a week and needs make room on the self . If she does not hurry up I'll be charging her storage fees
Will pm you the address! She told me I can't go to your place and pick it up!! She thinks you held me hostage last time :lol: :lol:
If it will ease Kathys mind, Ill go with you keep you safe :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I am closer to zenda.still a ton of corn up but it is coming down.
addicted to canadian beaver
acreek

Post by acreek »

It's tough hunting when you aren't seeing anything, but hang in there. I killed my biggest buck, 155-160" 11 pointer during a bow season when I barely saw anything. That was after a couple of years of the DNR trying to eradicate CWD by killing everything that moved. The only solace is that with only a few does out there, the bucks have to move a lot to find those few that are out there. Now, at the end of the season, the bucks are thinner than an Ethiopian marathon runner, so make your one chance count when you get it because a hard winter will likely take the run down buck anyway.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

amythntr wrote:....we not only have to deal with late season "drives" ....but can you believe it people actually come from Maine to hunt in The People's Republic....are you kidding me? :shock: :evil:

Anthony :)

Maine is state that likes flowers and hates deer..privateland in nj is loaded with deer..easy hunting sit on camp porch and shoot your doe meat..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

munch wrote:Agree with all you guys I know deer hunting had been a tradition in the north and it's about getting away with a group of freinds and family . In the area we hunt I'm 57 and saw my first deer at 17 years old so this group hinting has started here since I started hunting . Up north in the thick bush deer do have a chance to escape but here in the farm land we love in they just don't . I work for the local county roads department and we have not pick a dead deer up in 4 months on thè road . In the past it would be a couple times a week

here in my area of clinton county,pa wmu2g we used to see 5 deer dead in week during rut now its 1 or 2 deer a month.after rut nothing ...that is over 30 mile area.go to privateland near farms you will see 5 dead deer a week..PUBLICLAND is shotout do to all doe meat hunters filling freezers..
sonnyboy

pennsylvania herd is down

Post by sonnyboy »

Well, I am starting to get real tired hearing some guys on private large farms bragging that they see too many deer. The general population of hunters on public hunting grounds see nothing, or if they do, they kill every doe they see. These are the same people who say, if you don't take them, somebody else will!....sheesh. Back in the 60's an 70's, I could go on any land anywhere,an see twenty or thirty deer in a day. Now! you can hunt for 20 or 30 days an not see a deer. The game commission keeps telling the hunters, that there is too many deer, an they must be thinned out.........I guy can get 3 or 4 bonus tags a season to kill doe's constantly......Why can't it be like the good old days an you can only get one deer a year then your finished regardless of extra tags you draw!.......Game commission sets the rules, sell more permits.......damn!!!!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

The zone I hunt in has been nearly depleted of deer, it's really sad. After 10 yrs or so, the gov't continues to have doe lotteries, nearly everyone wins, then with the introduction of Xbow hunting, the number of hunters in the woods during bow season exploded, add to that lots of coyotes and voila, no deer. Now, even the coyotes have moved on, lack of deer to eat.

I saw one doe during bow season, and with three cameras in the woods since June, I have about four deer on camera. It's sad how the Gov't has managed our deer population.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
munch

Post by munch »

Funny here you have to buy a moose liecence before you can apply for the draw ,I went 13 years without drawing a tag and moose licence is about $56 that's a lot of income some little bean counter has figured out . I would like to see how may licences they sold if the draw was first and if you are picked you th en pay for your tag or decide maybe you won't hunt . You also can buy a spring turkey tag here and if you don't fill your tag it's no good for the fall you need to buy a fall turkey tag . Maybe the extra is the cover the extra couple pounds they pack on over summer
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Yep ... deer population in our areas is down for sure ... but even with the heat we did have our share of encounters in the 1st couple weeks ( mostly does and fawns ) > did see some bucks then it slowed again > at 1st cold snap Frank V got a buck at my place ... then spotty sightings off and on .

No real rut activity at my place or the other farms that I hunt but I heard from CH tonight that stubs has a trail camera picture of a buck already mounting/breeding a doe in our area ?

I'll be keeping a close watch into next week ...

Good luck Terry > Talk later ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Yup, Gov't gets greedy. I cannot believe you have to pay for a license you might not get to use, that's nuts.
At first our doe draws cost $5 to enter, now it cost a couple bucks more, and now if you win, you have to pay another $20 to get it, on top of buying the regular license at $55.49. Hmmmmm, not hard to understand why the Gov't does not stop the lottery.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
mattones

Post by mattones »

My bush normally gets the deer passing threw to another area, it's the crossing point so the deer are hit or miss. It's lucky if one presents its self

My buddies one spot was pushed last year from a group of hunters in the nov gun hunt, his dad saw 4 guys in orange lined up and thought wtf.. Then his son and the other guy had two guys walk past them pushing deer. They confronted the guys and they said they will be gone shortly. They went down one whole concession apparently.. This was at 8am on the last day!! Ruined the last hunt.
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
leonk

Post by leonk »

munch, I agree. While I am not big into deer hunting, I spent a lot of time hunting around northern GTA and I can say I see less and less deer and deer sign every year. Where I used to see deer all the time 5-6 years ago, I see nothing today, no tracks, no scrapes.

BTW, one of the measures MNR is using to assess the population is car collisions.
I had some conversations with MNR biologists about this and they say few hard winters (remember the ice storm?) did it, they don't like to admit to the coyote problem.

If anyone needs company for a hunt in a deer infested woods - let me know, I am always game ;)
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Sounds like where I hunting Michigan,, unlimited or almost doe permits the past several yrs have out a real dent in the deer population ..(at least where I'm at )

I finally got a 8 point buck the first week of Oct this year, Furst deer in three yrs...

IMO deer hunting in Michigan has became a business for the DNR,, all about selling more tags...
munch

Post by munch »

I finally saw a little 6 point on my sixth.sit out can only hope onthe tenth sit it's a 10 point .
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook

Post by newbie »

munch wrote:I finally saw a little 6 point on my sixth.sit out can only hope onthe tenth sit it's a 10 point .
Maybe hold off till the 20th? :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!