spitfire shooters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

spitfire shooters

Post by bobcat »

i shoot 125 gr spitfires out of my micro 335 and they hit right with my field points.

my sons and i bought a pse fang as a back up and for their girlfriends to use. this thing is super light. Great trigger and im touching fetching at 50 yards with it.
But i screwed on a spitfire and its hitting 4in low and 3 in left at 40 yards. the stock field points are 98gr weighted on my reloading scale. the spitfires are 106.

so do i adjust the scope to the spitfires or try another head?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: spitfire shooters

Post by Hunt it »

If you like the spitfires - adjust for them. Matching POI is not a big deal as long as you can group them. You just fine tune prior to hunting season each year. It's a bonus if it works but I would not change broadheads because it does not.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

try a 110 insert
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

:| I agree with above but think about it when we shoot a spit out of our quills and zombies etc. They Are a little more stout than the fang bolts its probably a spine issue. Try shooting a heavier bolt. Or insert
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Possum

Post by Possum »

longbow joe wrote::| I agree with above but think about it when we shoot a spit out of our quills and zombies etc. They Are a little more stout than the fang bolts its probably a spine issue. Try shooting a heavier bolt. Or insert
X2
I was having the exact POI change when I was using Gold Tip lazer II pro series arrows. When i switched to Spynal Tapps my spitfires and muzzys have same POI as f/p all the way out to 60 yards. (I only practice at 60 yards. My self imposed max range for hunting is 30 yards with my crossbows, 20 yards with my vertical recurve)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

All of the above. If you get consistent accuracy, but off the mark of your field points, adjust the scope for now, in the off season, get that FOC up and that issue will minimize itself! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

ok guys thanks. i will play with it some more. i have some 125 spitfires i will try out of it. but then the lines in the scope will probably be off so i will need a new scope with a speed ring.....
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I would try a little of everything thats been said and also maybe try different bolts that you have and see if any shoot to the same POI. I've had several flyers over the years with stock bolts that everything I tried just wouldn't shoot as well as another.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

there was a one arrow that wouldnt group but i removed it to use as a decocker. the other ones touch fetching with field tips. its only when i screw on the spitfire that the poi changes. im going to play with it friday. my buddy said i could barrow his broadhead target.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

thought i would revisit this and update.

so i got my buddys block target and went to shooting the spitfires again to see if i could figure out what the problem was.

3 shots at 30 yards all hit right in the bull, right where the field points were hitting. :lol:

this is out of a pse fang not an excal. the only thing i can think is pse recommends lubing the rail every 3-5 shots. i wasnt doing this when i shot it before. anyway all is well with the world and renewed faith in the spitfires. my cheap back up bow is ready to rock if i ever need it.